Gravel Dust

SmithBarney

I’ve tried almost everything, backwards, forwards, back door and bulkhead both open, just one open. I even sprayed out the back of my truck in wash tunnel last week, one week later you can’t even tell.
You need to request new dust seals... good luck with that.. but that is where it's coming from.

OKLABob

Lol over the years all the dirt and dust will turn your lungs into concrete. They dont even wash trucks at my center ass and glass and the local sorters are punching out with less then 3 hours in for the night.

What a bunch of :censored2: replies. This is a serious question and deserves a serious reply. Yes gravel road dust can lead to lung cancer. Protect your self and wear a dusk mask. :censored2: everyone that looks at you strange for covering your mouth and nose!

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I’ve tried almost everything, backwards, forwards, back door and bulkhead both open, just one open. I even sprayed out the back of my truck in wash tunnel last week, one week later you can’t even tell.

You haven't tried everything. Close both doors and windows then open the kick vent so the air comes in while driving forward. Hot as friend* but works great. Can't help the back cargo area though.

And yeah, the dust can cause silicosis. I'm not wearing a ask all day when it's 90+ so I guess I'll get it at some point.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
When I had my rural route, I bought a box of air masks. It always amazed me how the people that lived on those roads would tell me, “Huh, I never thought of that.”

That dust drove me nuts. I would open up my bulkhead door and the inside of the truck looked cloudy.

Another bad thing about gravel roads was after they were worn down, they would form washboards in areas where cars would slow down or stop. It would shake the truck violently. When the county grader would smooth them back down, they were fine, but the grader churned the layer of dust back on the road.

The only relief I ever got on those roads was when it would rain.

Although those masks worked well, they were hot as hell in the summer. If that route had paved roads, I probably wouldn’t have gone to feeders. I could’ve retired on that route.

Attachments

• 07E876E6-8078-41B5-9682-F3E72AB14356.png
    07E876E6-8078-41B5-9682-F3E72AB14356.png
    710.6 KB · Views: 161

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
You haven't tried everything. Close both doors and windows then open the kick vent so the air comes in while driving forward. Hot as friend* but works great. Can't help the back cargo area though.

And yeah, the dust can cause silicosis. I'm not wearing a ask all day when it's 90+ so I guess I'll get it at some point.

That never worked for me. That dust just had a way of getting everywhere.

clarnzz

What a bunch of :censored2: replies. This is a serious question and deserves a serious reply. Yes gravel road dust can lead to lung cancer. Protect your self and wear a dusk mask. :censored2: everyone that looks at you strange for covering your mouth and nose!
Thank you, I did a few tongue in cheek jokes, but I’m very serious about the gravel dust thing. Everyday so much.

oldngray

nowhere special
I worked inside for 12 years before driving, I never saw such a dust cloud.
I worked inside and the worst thing was the black crap in my sinuses from the aluminum dust. And dirt was so bad I had UPS clothes that would never look clean so couldn't be worn anywhere else. No dust clouds but dirt everywhere that you would still be breathing.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Request a fan, shut both doors, open driver side window. I run probably 50 or 60 miles of dirt roads per day and it's the only thing I've found that works. As far as dust in the back, UPS vehicles are designed to create a suction that draws in dust from the rear door. I never get over about 25 on such roads, sometimes 15, depending on conditions. It will drastically reduce dust (and stop count, too). We can always tell when a young gun runs a route. The dust is an inch thick in the back.

clarnzz

Request a fan, shut both doors, open driver side window. I run probably 50 or 60 miles of dirt roads per day and it's the only thing I've found that works. As far as dust in the back, UPS vehicles are designed to create a suction that draws in dust from the rear door. I never get over about 25 on such roads, sometimes 15, depending on conditions. It will drastically reduce dust (and stop count, too). We can always tell when a young gun runs a route. The dust is an inch thick in the back.
We are a bonus center so it still pays to drive fast on gravel and I’m already not doing much actual work.