Ground Folks: Reactions to Delivering Express

bacha29

No- I am saying that they can't control who you hire, how many employees you must have as a minimum, or how you want to get the work accomplished. You must control the manner of producing the desired results if you are really independent UNDER THE LAW. Fedex has merely managed to make you so dependent that you can't even use the law to enforce the independence you claim. If you even tried to pay your drivers as contractors like Uber and lyft, you would be violating a condition solely included to make fedex safer. At best, you are a contract employee with a budget to perform work for the company based on the size of the area and population/area demand.
Your budget is disguised as payment for services, but is really a carefully controlled amount with you have very limited chance to increase your profit through innovation. If you had aa few packages discovered after dispatch, could you call an Uber driver or a local delivery service to deliver them instead of buying or renting an extra vehicle that would only be used intermittently??? No. If you were really a legally independent business, fedex would only set the outcome they desire, not how you achieve it.
Spot on man You're far more dependent than you independent. And what little autonomy they do afford that so called "independent " is small and petty compared to the bigger scheme of things and even that is subject to the direct oversight of company management .If Sam IWBF and the others want to go on believing that they are these 'entrepreneurs" soon to be on the front cover of Forbes, let them have their fun .They're really not hurting anything.

SmithBarney

I hardly know any contractors that drive regularly anymore. There might be 1 or 2 out of the 15ish in my main terminal. The Ground network could handle pretty much all Express volume, the only issue would be time commits that I expect will always remain for Express PT couriers.
1 main problem, timing, what time do you currently get on road... In our area FXG is on the road at ~745, express planes haven't even been unloaded yet.. how will ground cope with that, there is some 2/3day stuff that makes it in by way of truck so it could make the FXG sort, but the stuff that flies you won't see in time.. FXE will probably be left with a third of its current staff, working part time. The only way they'd keep them full time is if they pulled some ground freight.

It will be fine

1 main problem, timing, what time do you currently get on road... In our area FXG is on the road at ~745, express planes haven't even been unloaded yet.. how will ground cope with that, there is some 2/3day stuff that makes it in by way of truck so it could make the FXG sort, but the stuff that flies you won't see in time.. FXE will probably be left with a third of its current staff, working part time. The only way they'd keep them full time is if they pulled some ground freight.
We don’t plan on leaving until 9:30. I haven’t seen a consistent dispatch before 8 in more than a decade. I think when the transition is complete there is going to be a lot more freight that stays on the ground and never flies. Ground can take a lot of volume from Express without flight times even being a consideration.

SmithBarney

We don’t plan on leaving until 9:30. I haven’t seen a consistent dispatch before 8 in more than a decade. I think when the transition is complete there is going to be a lot more freight that stays on the ground and never flies. Ground can take a lot of volume from Express without flight times even being a consideration.
We're in a test market, our ground location is 25 minutes closer to the airport than we are. Ground hasn't been able to do it.. I don't doubt FDX will do away with all of us when they can, just glad I have a few more months to search for a new job than some of the small stations nearby that will be shuttered.

Gone fishin

That’s not happening

It will be fine

4Z is a small percentage of our deferred freight. Not what you think it is.
It’s a test that is severely limited by the operation of separate delivery networks. It’s a proof of concept plan. The merge will make it much easier to truck a lot of Express freight. Why are you guys still so deeply in denial?

vantexan

It’s a test that is severely limited by the operation of separate delivery networks. It’s a proof of concept plan. The merge will make it much easier to truck a lot of Express freight. Why are you guys still so deeply in denial?
They've seen too many grand ideas fall by the wayside. Better hope FedEx gets this right because it could mean the demise of your company if they screw it up badly.