Ground owners get ready to drive again

bbsam

Staff member
Perhaps. But if the current cost cutting program is as unbridled as it appears you can't rule out anything.
No. They will have several entities running either separate or combined operations. They won’t leave it to a single entity in any given area. Way too much risk.

dmac1

No. They will have several entities running either separate or combined operations. They won’t leave it to a single entity in any given area. Way too much risk.
If fedex really wants to be a logistics company and not a delivery service alone, and eliminate most employees, they could get into arranging transport optimization service, maybe keeping the strictly overnight express. They could contract out individual terminals while reserving all express packages. Or fedex could just do pickups, and sort ALL but express packages to UPS, USPS, Amazon, or the ground network, whichever is best for the customer, and let those services handle ALL deliveries, again keeping strictly the express delivery service as part of their 'airline.' Amazon would probably like to have the small fedex terminals in more rural area where they don't have warehouses. I live about 60 miles in either direction from the closest Amazon terminal, but Fedex ground has a small terminal that could receive a couple truckloads from Amazon, or Amazon could make great use of the terminal and contract with Fedex to deliver both Amazon and FEDEX packages. It is REALLY stupid to have a UPS truck, and express van, a ground driver, and an HD driver, along with the USPS carriers all servicing the same places and making up to 120 mile roundtrips with multiple vehicles. HD is actually about 150 mile roundtrip, while ground and express each have a small local terminal. I don't know why ground and HD are still separate. Someone, sometime, will see the extra profit potential in combining some or all of the delivery services. Amazon probably has the most money to spend on doing that.

bbsam

Staff member
If fedex really wants to be a logistics company and not a delivery service alone, and eliminate most employees, they could get into arranging transport optimization service, maybe keeping the strictly overnight express. They could contract out individual terminals while reserving all express packages. Or fedex could just do pickups, and sort ALL but express packages to UPS, USPS, Amazon, or the ground network, whichever is best for the customer, and let those services handle ALL deliveries, again keeping strictly the express delivery service as part of their 'airline.' Amazon would probably like to have the small fedex terminals in more rural area where they don't have warehouses. I live about 60 miles in either direction from the closest Amazon terminal, but Fedex ground has a small terminal that could receive a couple truckloads from Amazon, or Amazon could make great use of the terminal and contract with Fedex to deliver both Amazon and FEDEX packages. It is REALLY stupid to have a UPS truck, and express van, a ground driver, and an HD driver, along with the USPS carriers all servicing the same places and making up to 120 mile roundtrips with multiple vehicles. HD is actually about 150 mile roundtrip, while ground and express each have a small local terminal. I don't know why ground and HD are still separate. Someone, sometime, will see the extra profit potential in combining some or all of the delivery services. Amazon probably has the most money to spend on doing that.
Where are you from? I ask because as far as I know the Ground and HD combined several years ago. I imagine there may be a small segment somewhere where they are still separate but the only way that would be is if it’s physically just not convenient or profitable to do so.

As for the rest, sure. All that could be possible. But why would they? FedEx doesn’t exactly have a sterling relationship with Amazon. Amazon is notoriously cheap. For all the talk of Ground deficiencies, why would Ground take a step back to Amazon standards?

Whatever they are doing has been planned and choreographed over the last decade. From what I’ve seen, they don’t change direction very quickly. If your scenarios have any substance, I think we would’ve seen movements like that. Perhaps Express farming out some of their stuff to Amazon instead of Ground?

dmac1

Where are you from? I ask because as far as I know the Ground and HD combined several years ago. I imagine there may be a small segment somewhere where they are still separate but the only way that would be is if it’s physically just not convenient or profitable to do so.

As for the rest, sure. All that could be possible. But why would they? FedEx doesn’t exactly have a sterling relationship with Amazon. Amazon is notoriously cheap. For all the talk of Ground deficiencies, why would Ground take a step back to Amazon standards?

Whatever they are doing has been planned and choreographed over the last decade. From what I’ve seen, they don’t change direction very quickly. If your scenarios have any substance, I think we would’ve seen movements like that. Perhaps Express farming out some of their stuff to Amazon instead of Ground?
California is where I live now. I think that maybe the California court case may have had something to do with ground/HD remaining separate. California is the only state where the case was actually ruled on by the courts instead of Fedex agreeing to a settlement out of court. Not sure if that is why, but perhaps requiring HD contractors to give up territory or forcing them to move 70 miles if HD was moved to the local ground terminal , or a new colo would be a severe violation of their proprietary rights. If fedex unilaterally made the decision to combine HD/ground, it would help lean even more towards employee status.

And only for the sake of maximizing profits would either Fedex or Amazon consider some kind of cooperating agreement. Both know that having multiple vehicles making long trips and covering the same area is leaving profit on the table. And being a decent sized city with over 100k population with another maybe 200k in the rest of the county and nearby towns, and being far from much larger cities where populations are in the 1 million+ range is probably not a common situation, and maybe the extra profit isn't worth the effort of setting it up if it is a real rare situation. Other places I've lived are either large cities with smaller towns scattered around, or midsized or small cities like mine much further from BIG cities. Being right in the middle of two large cities/urban areas and still close enough to reach but not big enough for a full terminal is not common, but still, with UPS having 10 or more trucks in the area, express having maybe 6 vehicles, and Amazon having at least 5-6 and ground having 8 and HD sending maybe almost as many from so far away is a waste of money, when maybe 15 truck could serve all of what UPS, Amazon, and Fedex use maybe 30 vehicles to serve. I see the inefficiency of it all, like having an express, ground, and HD vehicle all on the same block at the same time used to bother me when I was putting in 14 hour days and driving 400 miles with 40 stops in my truck.

bacha29

Maybe Ground route owners driving can prevent this.
The contractor's BC was covering the route in my neighborhood today. He stopped and begged me to come back. I explained to him that depending on total income up to 85% of a person's Social Security benefits are subject to federal income tax. Every year since I retired I paid varying percentages every year including the maximum. There would have to be at least a temporary suspension of the tax on SS in order for it to be worthwhile for me to go back and drag around Fat's Freddy's so called "packages".

bbsam

Staff member
The contractor's BC was covering the route in my neighborhood today. He stopped and begged me to come back. I explained to him that depending on total income up to 85% of a person's Social Security benefits are subject to federal income tax. Every year since I retired I paid varying percentages every year including the maximum. There would have to be at least a temporary suspension of the tax on SS in order for it to be worthwhile for me to go back and drag around Fat's Freddy's so called "packages".
Begged you to come back? C’mon man. No he didn’t.

Working4the1%

I here the big shift to ground from express starts June 2...Then I hear on June 3 ground will not make commitment and slap a astra on it and send right back... ping pong anyone

bacha29

Begged you to come back? C’mon man. No he didn’t.
May I remind you that you were not present when that conversation took place. Furthermore, I told the BC that I would rather have a case of penicillin resistant gonorrhea than to go back. Reminding him too that it would literally take and act of Congress or an act of God to get me to go back. In reference to the fact that few boomers are going to back out to work without at least a temporary suspension of federal income tax applied to Social Security benefits. Having to pay federal income taxes on interest, dividends, capital gains , private pensions, both passive and non passive income and Social Security.... and then wages on top of all that?.... C'mon man!.

bbsam

Staff member
May I remind you that you were not present when that conversation took place. Furthermore, I told the BC that I would rather have a case of penicillin resistant gonorrhea than to go back. Reminding him too that it would literally take and act of Congress or an act of God to get me to go back. In reference to the fact that few boomers are going to back out to work without at least a temporary suspension of federal income tax applied to Social Security benefits. Having to pay federal income taxes on interest, dividends, capital gains , private pensions, both passive and non passive income and Social Security.... and then wages on top of all that?.... C'mon man!.
You’ve also let the entire world know about your broken down body and you incredible hatred for FedEx.

And you’d have us believe that you are what anyone would consider a model employee that anyone would go to and “beg” to come back?

Offer to double your pay too I bet, eh?

Last edited:

bacha29

You’ve also let the entire world know about your broken down body and you incredible hatred for FedEx.

And you’d have us believe that you are what anyone would consider a model employee that anyone would go to and “beg” to come back?

Offer to double your pay too I bet, eh?
He approached me . I didn't approach him. Just because in your sheltered little world there are no shortage of people willing to drag your boxes around for half the pay (or less) and zero benefits doesn't mean that condition exists everywhere in the world.
You lead from in the front. Not by sending them out there to survive on their own while you go off and enjoy the rest of your day.
Furthermore, what this BC had in mind was exactly the same thing. His idea was for me to run the route he was running that day so that he could head out of the terminal at 9:30 AM having the rest of the day screw off.

bbsam

Staff member
He approached me . I didn't approach him. Just because in your sheltered little world there are no shortage of people willing to drag your boxes around for half the pay (or less) and zero benefits doesn't mean that condition exists everywhere in the world.
You lead from in the front. Not by sending them out there to survive on their own while you go off and enjoy the rest of your day.
Furthermore, what this BC had in mind was exactly the same thing. His idea was for me to run the route he was running that day so that he could head out of the terminal at 9:30 AM having the rest of the day screw off.
Lol. Every BC I have ever had thought the way you think when they begin. Come in, dispatch routes, hit the golf course and take phone calls. Nope. Far more involved and stressful than that.

But I get it. You don’t really know what you’re talking about. I’ve done what you’ve done so I have a good idea to of your perspective. You haven’t done what I’ve done but think you know what’s going on. See how that’s a bit warped?

bacha29

Lol. Every BC I have ever had thought the way you think when they begin. Come in, dispatch routes, hit the golf course and take phone calls. Nope. Far more involved and stressful than that.

But I get it. You don’t really know what you’re talking about. I’ve done what you’ve done so I have a good idea to of your perspective. You haven’t done what I’ve done but think you know what’s going on. See how that’s a bit warped?
BC's are simply contractor cannon fodder and sacrificial lambs. They exist simply for the purpose of insulating and protecting contractors from the wrath of FXG management. In this particular BC's case one of his drivers told me in advance that getting somebody to drive everyday so he didn't have to was his intention.

bbsam

Staff member
BC's are simply contractor cannon fodder and sacrificial lambs. They exist simply for the purpose of insulating and protecting contractors from the wrath of FXG management. In this particular BC's case one of his drivers told me in advance that getting somebody to drive everyday so he didn't have to was his intention.
I tell every BC 2 things:

1. You don’t want this job.

2. If you take this job, your job is to do the things I don’t want to do and your hours are from the morning til the end of the day.

bacha29

I tell every BC 2 things:

1. You don’t want this job.

2. If you take this job, your job is to do the things I don’t want to do and your hours are from the morning til the end of the day.
I admire you honesty. Even to this day there are contractors at the terminal I was at who still have to drive a route everyday just to get by. The other routes they have to be burdened with simply on their own cannot provide the contractor with enough to live on.

STFXG

The contractors that I know that are still driving are either too cheap to hire an extra driver, don't want to be home, or they suck at running one of these pigs.

bbsam

Staff member
The contractors that I know that are still driving are either too cheap to hire an extra driver, don't want to be home, or they suck at running one of these pigs.
Where’ve you been?!? I started to think you’d moved on.