Ground subcontractors, Listen to your drivers!

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
And by low 6s, I mean MPG. A gas engine will outlive those VT internationals and cost only a third as much to replace. Also weigh maybe half as much.
My gmc 6.0l is averaging a tad over 10 mpg, even with a heavy foot for the commute to the first stop.but it's a 12' boxtruck with the capacity to have about 200 packages, if I don't have too many irregs that day

Indecisi0n

Don't be cheap and just pony up for new rotors. Most are not expensive and giving new pads a clean flat surface extends life, performance and makes break-in faster.
Again my thinking was these guys that I see replacing rotors at 50-60k miles on their cars were pissing money away. I can't imagine 4 OEM rotors for my car would be cheap.

MAKAVELI

Again my thinking was these guys that I see replacing rotors at 50-60k miles on their cars were pissing money away. I can't imagine 4 OEM rotors for my car would be cheap.
Most cars don't need front and rear brakes at the same time as the fronts do most of the work and wear faster. Using new Rotors will extend pad life so you're not pissing $ away.

Indecisi0n

Most cars don't need front and rear brakes at the same time as the fronts do most of the work and wear faster. Using new Rotors will extend pad life so you're not pissing $ away.
I normally always did pads all around because it wasn't much money for the pads. I get the OEM pads cheap online. I guess if I only did front pads and rotors it wouldnt be that bad.

I would just prefer to just to do it all at once I guess n

OrioN

So for the normal driver would you just use a certain grit sandpaper to scuff them up?
Wut does @1BROWNWRENCH do on the package cars?

Remember, this is a backyard mechanic way, if u can diy to save labor costs, don't compromise on quality of parts... ceramic pads and pricing on new rotors with at least a warranty on them, in case the old rotors are at discard limits.

Ps, if there's a big lip on the edge of the old rotors, and no way to turn them on the driveway, replacement is the faste r& cheaper way since they're won't be much meat on them after the resurfacing job

MAKAVELI

I normally always did pads all around because it wasn't much money for the pads. I get the OEM pads cheap online. I guess if I only did front pads and rotors it wouldnt be that bad.

I would just prefer to just to do it all at once I guess n
I would guess the rears get about double the life of the fronts. Most people don't realize factory pads usually will be better quality, last longer and more quiet than aftermarket pads. Sometimes it's worth to pay a little more for better quality and longer life.

OrioN

...as the fronts do most of the work and wear faster.

On passenger cars, yes... suvs, some pickup trucks and cargo vans though... the bias valve is set to use the rear brakes sooner so those vehicles won't nose dive when applying the brake pedal

I seen the rear pads wore out faster than the fronts on an Acura mdx, Ford expedition, and the Ford transit cargo van I had last year as examples

Oldfart

I would guess the rears get about double the life of the fronts. Most people don't realize factory pads usually will be better quality, last longer and more quiet than aftermarket pads. Sometimes it's worth to pay a little more for better quality and longer life.
Not true. Plenty of replacement parts are as good if not better than OEM. Many OEM parts are actually made by vendors that also sell their brand of replacement parts.

Indecisi0n

On passenger cars, yes... suvs, some pickup trucks and cargo vans though... the bias valve is set to use the rear brakes sooner so those vehicles won't nose dive when applying the brake pedal

I seen the rear pads wore out faster than the fronts on an Acura mdx, Ford expedition, and the Ford transit cargo van I had last year as examples
I do have a truck. From now on I guess I'll just do rotors and pads together to be safe. I save on labor so it's fine I guess. Thanks for the information.

MAKAVELI

Not true. Plenty of replacement parts are as good if not better than OEM. Many OEM parts are actually made by vendors that also sell their brand of replacement parts.
It's true for a majority of cheap aftermarket parts. Factory pads will also come with the correct shims to reduce noise.

MAKAVELI

Could also be due to smaller rotors in the rear. Smaller surface area requiring them to work harder or a combination of the two.

Oldfart

It's true for a majority of cheap aftermarket parts. Factory pads will also come with the correct shims to reduce noise.
Once again. Not true.

I can buy Wagner, Raybestos, Bendix and several other brands of replacement parts and will get just as many miles if not more than OEM parts for less $. They will also have lifetime warranty but not on commercial applications.

Last edited:

bacha29

We have a winner! You are correct on both points mostly.The subsequent 6.4 was just a bad and the last straw.[/QUOTE It was my understanding that Caterpillar had a small diesel I believe it was called the Cat 3200 in final development that Cat wanted Ford to offer in the friend-Series light and medium duty trucks but Ford turned them down. Imagine how how many friend-Series trucks Ford could have sold if they had Cat's in them. They could have quit making cars years before their decision a couple of weeks ago to end car production.