Ground to absorb Express

vantexan

When were they a threat? Was it during their 7 straight years of losses or after they got out of the small package business and focused on heavy freight?
When I was hired in '86 FedEx had a poster with the caption "we're in a dogfight". Showed WWI bi-planes, each with the name of a different competitor, including ours, duking it out in the air. Often heard mgrs speak of them as serious competitors. I believe it was in '88, maybe '89, their East Coast division went on strike. They never recovered. At the time from everything I heard in Connecticut they were much more respected than Airborne.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The possible outcomes you guys present are all credible. The problem is that it's an election year. No major new legislation will be introduced. The economy while not showing signs of growing anywhere near the 4% needed to offset the tax cut induced revenue shortfall is still generally believed to be able to grow at around 3% and that's not too bad . In addition with numerous geopolitical events unfolding globally anyone of which could devastate the global economy and banking system change will likely be minimal and reserved. Any significant industry consolidation will require regulatory approval if not additional industry deregulation and will most likely be guided by the makeup of the new congress.

You manage to not only to ridiculously overthink a topic, but you also overthink it 25 miles in the wrong direction. What a giant non-sequitur.

Any purchase/merger involving FedEx and Amazon would be a dumb idea and both sides already know it.

Oldfart

When were they a threat? Was it during their 7 straight years of losses or after they got out of the small package business and focused on heavy freight?
Once again your ignorance shows its ugly head. Back in the last OLD days Emery was indeed a threat. It had a good plan and some good facilities. It went down hard and even hiring Art Bass couldn't save them. You might want to stick to subject matters that you have a slight clue as to what you are talking about. Airborne, had its moment and Purolater was there as well. As I remember, Emery was the biggest threat back in the old days, then Purolater and then Airborne. They all survived in 1 way or another and a couple still do today.

Last edited:

59 Dano

When I was hired in '86 FedEx had a poster with the caption "we're in a dogfight". Showed WWI bi-planes, each with the name of a different competitor, including ours, duking it out in the air. Often heard mgrs speak of them as serious competitors.

Emery was in the beginning stages of a tailspin in '86.
I believe it was in '88, maybe '89, their East Coast division went on strike. They never recovered.

And by "never recovered," you mean that they became profitable for the first time in 1993 and remained profitable through the end of the decade.

At the time from everything I heard in Connecticut they were much more respected than Airborne.

Who wasn't?

bacha29

You manage to not only to ridiculously overthink a topic, but you also overthink it 25 miles in the wrong direction. What a giant non-sequitur.

Any purchase/merger involving FedEx and Amazon would be a dumb idea and both sides already know it.
I never said it was a smart idea or a wrong move. All I was pointing to was that any industry consolidation would be a long complicated process that would require regulatory oversight which it might not make gain approval as we see with the proposed AT&T/ Time Warner merger whereby you take two big players in the space and make one gigantic market dominating behemoth Simply because all you need is your mother's approval for anything you wish to do, it's not that simple everywhere else.

59 Dano

I never said it was a smart idea or a wrong move. All I was pointing to was that any industry consolidation would be a long complicated process that would require regulatory oversight which it might not make gain approval as we see with the proposed AT&T/ Time Warner merger whereby you take two big players in the space and make one gigantic market dominating behemoth Simply because all you need is your mother's approval for anything you wish to do, it's not that simple everywhere else.

Cliff.jpg

bacha29

When I was hired in '86 FedEx had a poster with the caption "we're in a dogfight". Showed WWI bi-planes, each with the name of a different competitor, including ours, duking it out in the air. Often heard mgrs speak of them as serious competitors. I believe it was in '88, maybe '89, their East Coast division went on strike. They never recovered. At the time from everything I heard in Connecticut they were much more respected than Airborne.
Van don't engage Dano. He's an immature version of OF who comes from a privileged background. The more opportunity you give him the more personal attacks you're opening yourself up to. We are all products of the social/economic background into which we were born and many of our generation came from backgrounds that had few if any of the advantages his generation now enjoys. That's what he doesn't understand. rest assured if he were to confront any of us in person he would not say the things he says because he wouldn't have the courage to say them to our faces.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Van don't engage Dano. He's an immature version of OF who comes from a privileged background. The more opportunity you give him the more personal attacks you're opening yourself up to. We are all products of the social/economic background into which we were born and many of our generation came from backgrounds that had few if any of the advantages his generation now enjoys. That's what he doesn't understand. rest assured if he were to confront any of us in person he would not say the things he says because he wouldn't have the courage to say them to our faces.
Dano is still a company yesman more than ever. For someone would was supposedly burned by FedEx and supposedly quit (yeah right,) he sure goes out of his way to defend them.

Once a corporate apologist, always a corporate apaologist.

vantexan

Emery was in the beginning stages of a tailspin in '86.

And by "never recovered," you mean that they became profitable for the first time in 1993 and remained profitable through the end of the decade.

Who wasn't?
I'm just relaying what I heard at the time. Never looked into them. But just did. For 40 years they were the largest freight forwarding air service but were bought out in 1989, which would jibe with their strike. So it seems you're playing fast and loose with the facts to win an argument. What a shock!

59 Dano

Uphill both ways in the snow, etc.

59 Dano

Dano is still a company yesman more than ever. For someone would was supposedly burned by FedEx and supposedly quit (yeah right,) he sure goes out of his way to defend them.

Once a corporate apologist, always a corporate apaologist.

Discussing the history of a defunct company is corporate apologism? Alrighty, then!

59 Dano

I'm just relaying what I heard at the time. Never looked into them. But just did. For 40 years they were the largest freight forwarding air service but were bought out in 1989, which would jibe with their strike. So it seems you're playing fast and loose with the facts to win an argument. What a shock!

Nope, not playing fast and loose with anything.

Emery entered the small package market to compete with FDX in 1978. By '86 they began their decline. A year later they purchased Purolator (also losing tons of money) in an attempt to gain market share that saw 2 companies (FDX/UPS) dominating most of the market as a half-dozen or more smaller companies competed for the remainder. It didn't work well enough to matter and the company was eventually purchased by Consolidated Freightways in 1989, primarily as a way to give CF instant access to the international shipping industry.

One of the first orders of business was to shift focus away from small package competition with FDX/UPS and back towards the heavier freight volume that had seen success in the past. It did little to help, with Emery's losses reaching close to $40 million for the year. The first half of 1990 saw losses eclipsing $100 million and $127 million in losses for the year as a whole.

Nineteen ninety-one finally saw Emery withdraw almost entirely away from the small package segment, as the average shipment weight rose to over 120 lbs. from only 45 lbs. the year before. The start of aggressive cost cutting measures helped reduce losses to just over $80 million for that year.

So tell me, van -- what doesn't jibe? When was Emery a threat? Was it during the 2 or 3 years in the early 80s when they weren't losing money? Was it after '86 when they began a steep decline? Was in the ensuing years they were losing their shirts? Or was it when they stopped competing with FDX/UPS?

C'mon, van -- let's hear it.

vantexan

Emery entered the small package market to compete with FDX in 1978. By '86 they began their decline. A year later they purchased Purolator (also losing tons of money) in an attempt to gain market share that saw 2 companies (FDX/UPS) dominating most of the market as a half-dozen or more smaller companies competed for the remainder. It didn't work well enough to matter and the company was eventually purchased by Consolidated Freightways in 1989, primarily as a way to give CF instant access to the international shipping industry.

One of the first orders of business was to shift focus away from small package competition with FDX/UPS and back towards the heavier freight volume that had seen success in the past. It did little to help, with Emery's losses reaching close to $40 million for the year. The first half of 1990 saw losses eclipsing $100 million and $127 million in losses for the year as a whole.

Nineteen ninety-one finally saw Emery withdraw almost entirely away from the small package segment, as the average shipment weight rose to over 120 lbs. from only 45 lbs. the year before. The start of aggressive cost cutting measures helped reduce losses to just over $80 million for that year.

So tell me, van -- what doesn't jibe? When was Emery a threat? Was it during the 2 or 3 years in the early 80s when they weren't losing money? Was it after '86 when they began a steep decline? Was in the ensuing years they were losing their shirts? Or was it when they stopped competing with FDX/UPS?

If they were in business as the largest air freight company for 40 years, if they were competitive with FedEx to the point that FedEx recognized that they were a serious competitor, then they were a threat to FedEx dominating the overnight market. You keep talking about the 90's. They were bought out in '89. Different management, different focus, not the same company except in name. So yeah, you are playing fast and loose with the facts to win an argument. Unless you're older than you let on you weren't there listening to mgrs talk about them.

Oldfart

Emery was indeed a threat. Guess it was before your time. The market was spread out among 4 companies before UPS entered the overnight market. Since when does a company have to make money to be a threat. What about the years FDX lost money. Was it not a threat those years?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Emery was indeed a threat. Guess it was before your time. The market was spread out among 4 companies before UPS entered the overnight market. Since when does a company have to make money to be a threat. What about the years FDX lost money. Was it not a threat those years?
I can now die and go to my reward with a smile on my face......OF defending Van!!! Armageddon here we come!:choir: