Grounds for grieving

scumbag

So i’ve been working for ups for a year and a half as a loader, never had any issues besides the occasional filing grievances on supervisors working. Recently my work area was moved to a new area to accommodate the volume increase we got and so i have a new pt and ft sup. Both of them LOVE to do union work, and i file every time i’m able to see it(they’ve recently been keeping me in one door all shift) Ever since i started filing on these supervisors, the center manager has taken an interest in me doing my job “by the book” when he’s never even spoken to me before the area switch. Now i know filing puts a bullseye on your back so to speak but i know how to do my job and it’s just been more annoying than actually having me worried about possible discipline.

But today as i was coming down from picking off, he got on me about not wearing my scanner belt saying that if i’m on the floor it needs to be on. I try to explain that i just came down from picking off and was instructed to pick up sides on a door and then go home but he wasn’t having it. Blowing up saying that i shouldn’t give him attitude, and that before i touch a package i should always scan it to make sure i’m not putting up missorts(i know the sort so i dont know why i need my scanner for this...)

My question is: is this grounds for harassment/retaliation? Like i said, it’s been annoying before but this situation just feels like he went on a power trip

F

Frankie's Friend

Call your area NLRB (labor board), explain the situation, and tell them you are now being harassed and over supervised for your protected union activity.

File a grievance about the same issue.

Box Ox

My question is: is this grounds for harassment/retaliation? Like i said, it’s been annoying before but this situation just feels like he went on a power trip

Maybe. If management starts coming after you you’re going to want to have created a paper trail from your end as they’ll have one on you. Otherwise they’ll say “I don’t know what he’s talking about” in the future if you face disciplinary action and you bring up past incidents for which there is no record.

Maybe. If management starts coming after you you’re going to want to have created a paper trail from your end as they’ll have one on you. Otherwise they’ll say “I don’t know what he’s talking about” in the future if you face disciplinary action and you bring up past incidents for which there is no record.
Exactly!

RolloTony Brown Town

So i’ve been working for ups for a year and a half as a loader, never had any issues besides the occasional filing grievances on supervisors working. Recently my work area was moved to a new area to accommodate the volume increase we got and so i have a new pt and ft sup. Both of them LOVE to do union work, and i file every time i’m able to see it(they’ve recently been keeping me in one door all shift) Ever since i started filing on these supervisors, the center manager has taken an interest in me doing my job “by the book” when he’s never even spoken to me before the area switch. Now i know filing puts a bullseye on your back so to speak but i know how to do my job and it’s just been more annoying than actually having me worried about possible discipline.

But today as i was coming down from picking off, he got on me about not wearing my scanner belt saying that if i’m on the floor it needs to be on. I try to explain that i just came down from picking off and was instructed to pick up sides on a door and then go home but he wasn’t having it. Blowing up saying that i shouldn’t give him attitude, and that before i touch a package i should always scan it to make sure i’m not putting up missorts(i know the sort so i dont know why i need my scanner for this...)

Harassment is based on how you feel about it. No one determines when you want to file that except you. If you feel you’re being harassed then do what you is necessary.

If there is discipline then you absolutely should immediately. The faster the better. Because as a management person I’m starting a paper trail on you. So now there’s documentation through labor. I’m building a case against you as insubordinate. Filing the grievance is basically your response to my documentation that you and the union disagree and I’m over managing you or harassing you. It could also not hurt to call the 1800 number and explain the situation especially if it’s completely unfounded and you do your job.

In reality everything paints a target on your back so just do your job and file on the stuff you think warrants filing. Do you.

Indecisi0n

Write down everything . Put it in the calendar in your phone so you have times and dates. Who said what and more importantly what other Union witness heard and saw it . Keep your rep and BA well informed of what's going on so they know the full story when talking to the center manager. Doing this will help remove that target .

Trailer monkey

ARTICLE 37. MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEE RELATIONS Section 1. (a) The parties agree that the principle of a fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer’s interest. The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties. The Employer shall not retaliate against employees for exercising rights under this Agreement. In considering any grievance alleging retaliation for exercising his rights under the Agreement, the severity and timing of the Employer’s actions that modify an employee’s work assignment or reprimand employees shall be relevant factors to a determination of motivation. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee. Employees will also treat each other as well as the Employer with dignity and respect.

Days

idk you have balls of steel. I think its best to just not do anything tbh. Collect a paycheck and leave.

As someone said above, if they start the disciplinary process ask for the steward and document what happened. Your center sounds different than mine though.

542thruNthru

If management serves a bad cup of coffee, would that be "grounds" for a grievance?

Yes. I would grieve that all day long. That tells me their equipment is not operating properly. It could make me sick or burn me.

Article 18 of the NMA.
sketch-1554494131283.png

Also I would file a Art 37 grievance for not showing me the proper respect by giving me a proper cup of coffee.

Don't get me started if they don't have cream and sugar!

Days

Yes. I would grieve that all day long. That tells me their equipment is not operating properly. It could make me sick or burn me.

Article 18 of the NMA.
View attachment 242884

Also I would file a Art 37 grievance for not showing me the proper respect by giving me a proper cup of coffee.

Don't get me started if they don't have cream and sugar!

I’m literally going to do this because it’s hilarious

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?

Next time he comes around you in this way stop him or her and say I think this conversation is better served with steward present. Go find your steward then continue the conversation. Also record dates, times and what happened in a notebook to cover your ass. Also if your cellphone can record audio it might not be a bad idea to record the conversations. I'm not sure about the legality of that but I've done it before with a particular manager and a bum steward who was a yes man.

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
You can difuse the situation by saying right then and there "i feel like you are harassing me at this time and i would like for you to stop" then ask for a shop steward and yea, file a harrassment grievance/ and make a corporate complaint. thatll also help with the paper trail in the event it continues or escalates in the future.

RolloTony Brown Town

Next time he comes around you in this way stop him or her and say I think this conversation is better served with steward present. Go find your steward then continue the conversation. Also record dates, times and what happened in a notebook to cover your ass. Also if your cellphone can record audio it might not be a bad idea to record the conversations. I'm not sure about the legality of that but I've done it before with a particular manager and a bum steward who was a yes man.

I don’t think you can record the conversation. That may depend on the state you’re in. I’m not entirely sure.

You should absolutely seek representation but if this is happening during a shift, don’t walk away from your assignment, state your Weingarten rights. “If this conversation is going to continue then I would like my steward present.”

Then go back to work until they bring your steward over.

Assuming you’re being hassled during a sort, if you walk away from the operation then you could open up a new can of worms.

scumbag

Thanks for all the replies guys. I ended up telling my steward and yesterday I’m told that I’ve been moved to a different area. Less hours and “easier” work. So now I’m filing a seniority violation grievance since I had seniority on a couple guys. This guy loves giving me a headache, why not give him one as well