Grounds growth

MAKAVELI

I'm a little late to the dance, but the idiot made a video recording of himself walking to his truck while the engine was left running. One call to the state DOT would have worked WONDERS.
I don't know what's worse. This guy recording himself or the idiotic management that allowed that truck to go on road? Actually, the idiotic management is worse.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I don't know what's worse. This guy recording himself or the idiotic management that allowed that truck to go on road? Actually, the idiotic management is worse.

The driver. He's jeopardizing his own safety when he has the ability to do something about it.

MAKAVELI

The driver. He's jeopardizing his own safety when he has the ability to do something about it.
Sorry, but it's the idiotic managers' responsibility to make sure the trucks are safe to be on road. The employee won't be the one sued if an unsafe vehicle causes an accident and/or injuries.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Not reporting it on the DVIR is falsification of a DOT document.
Well, if that's the case then FedEx would have to fire someone since they didn't write up that loose loose bulb over the rear license plate.

I've had situations where you write something up and the mechanics get an attitude and either blow it off or spray WD-40 at the problem in hopes that it'll go away.

bbsam

Staff member
Well, if that's the case then FedEx would have to fire someone since they didn't write up that loose loose bulb over the rear license plate.

I've had situations where you write something up and the mechanics get an attitude and either blow it off or spray WD-40 at the problem in hopes that it'll go away.
it can and does come to people being fired.

Cactus

FedEx won't load trucks marked with defects until the DVIR is returned stating the defects have been corrected.

Sent using BrownCafe App
BS

According to "best practices" no truck is to be loaded without a pre-trip inspection first. The managers have been blowing that off for years and it's done every day on a routine basis.

bbsam

Staff member
BS

According to "best practices" no truck is to be loaded without a pre-trip inspection first. The managers have been blowing that off for years and it's done every day on a routine basis.
BS.

UPS drivers don't inspect their trucks until the preload is wrapped up. That's what makes the previous day's DVIR crucial. The pre-trip is not DOT required. The post-trip inspection is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

BS.

UPS drivers don't inspect their trucks until the preload is wrapped up. That's what makes the previous day's DVIR crucial. The pre-trip is not DOT required. The post-trip inspection is.

We check the DVIR to see if any write-ups were either corrected or deferred and, based upon whether they were safety issues or not, will sign off on the DVIR and take the pkg car on road. If the defects were indeed safety in nature and were not addressed we have the right to refuse to take the pkg car on road.

The 22.3's who do the line-up at night do not check DVIR's and have no idea which pkg cars are safe or unsafe.

The preloaders have no idea if the cars they are loading are safe or unsafe.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yet another advantage to union representation. You have someone to back you up if you refuse to drive an unsafe vehicle. A fedex driver is on his own.

Keep in mind we don't get the day off----you and a supervisor would spend the next half hour or so transferring the load to a different car so unless the safety defect is severe we normally take the car and write it up again. A horn not working or a light out, while both safety items, are relatively minor and while they should have been repaired the vehicle can still be safely operated without a horn or headlight working.

Resident know-it-all.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Keep in mind we don't get the day off----you and a supervisor would spend the next half hour or so transferring the load to a different car so unless the safety defect is severe we normally take the car and write it up again. A horn not working or a light out, while both safety items, are relatively minor and while they should have been repaired the vehicle can still be safely operated without a horn or headlight working.

Resident know-it-all.

Nonetheless, you have some form of defense, and your shop steward will back you up. Ground drivers (and Express drivers to a lesser degree) can be forced to drive unsafe vehicles.

Cactus

BS.

Thanks for another expert opinion about how things are done at Express. Both are required at Express.

i don't how how many times a vehicle which was in need of repairs got wrote up and nothing was done because the night mechanic was off on vacation and the mechanic that came in the morning didn't have time to fix the problem.