Grounds growth

bbsam

Staff member
Thanks for another expert opinion about how things are done at Express. Both are required at Express.

i don't how how many times a vehicle which was in need of repairs got wrote up and nothing was done because the night mechanic was off on vacation and the mechanic that came in the morning didn't have time to fix the problem.
That does of course make sense if you are loading your own trucks. So if you take an unsafe vehicle out, ultimately who's fault is it?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That does of course make sense if you are loading your own trucks. So if you take an unsafe vehicle out, ultimately who's fault is it?
As long as I wrote it up and the managers didn't do anything about it, my butt is covered.

bbsam

Staff member
As long as I wrote it up and the managers didn't do anything about it, my butt is covered.
Are you sure about that? Because I think the reporting driver is supposed to sign off that the defects have been fixed. At least that's how we do it at our station.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you sure about that? Because I think the reporting driver is supposed to sign off that the defects have been fixed. At least that's how we do it at our station.

That is normally how it works but the only requirement is that write ups and repairs be reviewed and signed off by the driver during the pretrip.

Resident know-it-all.

hypo hanna

so if the repairs aren't done, why would the driver take the vehicle out?
Not everything is obvious from a visual inspection of the vehicle. If its an engine, brakes or transmission problem, how would the driver know its fixed without taking a test drive? Maybe you ground guys have that kind of time before your sort but we don't.

bbsam

Staff member
Not everything is obvious from a visual inspection of the vehicle. If its an engine, brakes or transmission problem, how would the driver know its fixed without taking a test drive? Maybe you ground guys have that kind of time before your sort but we don't.
We usually confer with the mechanics.

hypo hanna

We usually confer with the mechanics.
Our mechanics are either gone for the day or too busy for a chat at that hour. If it is on the line, its assumed the truck is ready to roll that day. There is no notification to the driver that the truck has or has not been repaired.