Grounds growth

P

prodriver

Ground is here to stay as long as the ISP/IC scam business model survives. Without WalMart wages, there would be a big problem. Just like WalMart...subsidized labor for Mr. Smith.

Walmart wages ok......you should know as well as anyone with Freds money and power its here to stay, beside that its legal without his money and power. The writing is on the wall for all to see ground is beefing up their infrastructures to handle future growth. I do believe Maine Ground driver made in three years what an express did in 7-9, on wages thread.

MAKAVELI

Walmart wages ok......you should know as well as anyone with Freds money and power its here to stay, beside that its legal without his money and power. The writing is on the wall for all to see ground is beefing up their infrastructures to handle future growth. I do believe Maine Ground driver made in three years what an express did in 7-9, on wages thread.
Fred will not be around forever. I think it's a fantasy for people to think that things will stay the same when he is gone.

DRAisawesome

I think everyone agrees ground is here to stay. I just hope someday the drivers are compensated for the growth. The driver says to contractor "I want more money". Contractor says get the H out of here. I'll get someone for cheaper. Everyone wins except the driver.

MAKAVELI

I think everyone agrees ground is here to stay. I just hope someday the drivers are compensated for the growth. The driver says to contractor "I want more money". Contractor says get the H out of here. I'll get someone for cheaper. Everyone wins except the driver.
High turnover for any company is not a good thing for long-term stability just look at what it's doing to express. At some point the costs at ground will rise eventually come close to an all employee work force at which the contractor model would not be very advantageous.

bbsam

Staff member
Fred will not be around forever. I think it's a fantasy for people to think that things will stay the same when he is gone.
So you think the board of directors is of a mindset to one day replace Fred with someone of a vastly different and far more benevolent mindset?

P

prodriver

The biggest competitor for a contractor is another contractor, we don't want to invest money in training then he jump to another contractor, so the driver has bargaining power.

STFXG

Over 83% of fedex stock is owned by financial institutions. What makes you think the majority holders would allow a change in the model? You don't think there would be some push back by the stockholders who are enjoying the profits?

Sent using BrownCafe App

MAKAVELI

Over 83% of fedex stock is owned by financial institutions. What makes you think the majority holders would allow a change in the model? You don't think there would be some push back by the stockholders who are enjoying the profits?

Sent using BrownCafe App
That is if the big profits continue. Like I said, if costs rise close to an all employee workforce, then the advantage is gone.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Old heads at my station are of the mindset that 1) Ground will be the ones funding the pensions they have accumulated (because they make the most $ for FedEx) and 2) Express will eventually only be responsible for P1 freight. Shifting everything else to ground. Shrinking it to the smallest and most profitable it can possibly be in the future.

The rumor is that the resi SO commit time was changed to 8pm so that Ground/HD could deliver it.

59 Dano

So you think the board of directors is of a mindset to one day replace Fred with someone of a vastly different and far more benevolent mindset?

Hedge fund manager Dan Loeb made a large enough purchase of FedEx stock that it entitled him and his people to meet with Fred and co. to talk business. There are some fundamental differences and Fred won't budge. For instance, Loeb thinks that Fred should lay people off during the slow times and call them back during the busy times. Stuff like that.

Some people think that we can't get rid of Fred soon enough. Who would replace him? It's not as though there are dozens of competent candidates out there who are dying for the opportunity to give away the store. There are plenty who realize that the easiest way to crank up the profit margin at Express is cut staffing and drastically cut the benefits of those who remain. Once that's done, maybe sell it to someone else.

That's not the only idea being considered by those who have a very serious interest in the company. The contractor model is very successful at Ground. There are those who are dying to have the chance to merge Ground and Express in some form and have the contractor model handle the bulk of operations. That is a very serious consideration.

I don't care if anyone likes Fred or not. Good for you if you do. Good for you if you don't. Burn him in effigy if you want. Build a Fred pinata. Make voodoo dolls. Do whatever, but be aware that he's fighting against the conventional wisdom and those who are pushing it that he should be cutting everything to the bone and outsourcing as much of it as possible.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hedge fund manager Dan Loeb made a large enough purchase of FedEx stock that it entitled him and his people to meet with Fred and co. to talk business. There are some fundamental differences and Fred won't budge. For instance, Loeb thinks that Fred should lay people off during the slow times and call them back during the busy times. Stuff like that.

Some people think that we can't get rid of Fred soon enough. Who would replace him? It's not as though there are dozens of competent candidates out there who are dying for the opportunity to give away the store. There are plenty who realize that the easiest way to crank up the profit margin at Express is cut staffing and drastically cut the benefits of those who remain. Once that's done, maybe sell it to someone else.

That's not the only idea being considered by those who have a very serious interest in the company. The contractor model is very successful at Ground. There are those who are dying to have the chance to merge Ground and Express in some form and have the contractor model handle the bulk of operations. That is a very serious consideration.

I don't care if anyone likes Fred or not. Good for you if you do. Good for you if you don't. Burn him in effigy if you want. Build a Fred pinata. Make voodoo dolls. Do whatever, but be aware that he's fighting against the conventional wisdom and those who are pushing it that he should be cutting everything to the bone and outsourcing as much of it as possible.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Fred is your boss, so you have a big stake in propping-up his image. He wants FedEx to be like WalMart,but to perform like Apple. That makes him a maroon.

MAKAVELI

I would love to see the day FedEx tries to switch Express over to the contractor scam. That would be the death of FedEx. Maybe Fred hasn't done it because he knows it will not work. As far as cutting express to the bone. He already has and still can't turn much of a profit. But there's a lot of fat at the top he won't touch. I'd say the old man is just out of touch and out of ideas.

59 Dano

I would love to see the day FedEx tries to switch Express over to the contractor scam. That would be the death of FedEx. Maybe Fred hasn't done it because he knows it will not work.

Fred hasn't done it because he doesn't believe that that is best for the company or the employees. Others think that it is great for the company and don't really care how it will affect employees. Any change in that direction would be fairly gradual.

Just like the emergence of Ground was.

As far as cutting express to the bone. He already has and still can't turn much of a profit. But there's a lot of fat at the top he won't touch. I'd say the old man is just out of touch and out of ideas.

Oh, he has yet to cut to the bone. Cut 1 PT position at every hub/ramp/station that has 50 or more hourly employees. The entire operation would go on without the world noticing and millions of dollars would be saved. Eliminate COE. Millions more saved. Get rid of the FPP. Yet millions more saved. Stop paying for unused sick days and require a doctor's note starting with the 3rd sick day. Millions and millions more saved. Reduce the 401(k) match. Multiple millions more saved.

You're right, Fred is out of touch. The modern CEO mindset is to do those things, and he is stubbornly resisting.

You people act as if Fred is standing in the way of a new CEO who will be more generous than Santa Claus.

MAKAVELI

Fred hasn't done it because he doesn't believe that that is best for the company or the employees. Others think that it is great for the company and don't really care how it will affect employees. Any change in that direction would be fairly gradual.

Just like the emergence of Ground was.

Oh, he has yet to cut to the bone. Cut 1 PT position at every hub/ramp/station that has 50 or more hourly employees. The entire operation would go on without the world noticing and millions of dollars would be saved. Eliminate COE. Millions more saved. Get rid of the FPP. Yet millions more saved. Stop paying for unused sick days and require a doctor's note starting with the 3rd sick day. Millions and millions more saved. Reduce the 401(k) match. Multiple millions more saved.

You're right, Fred is out of touch. The modern CEO mindset is to do those things, and he is stubbornly resisting.

You people act as if Fred is standing in the way of a new CEO who will be more generous than Santa Claus.
Fred couldn't care less about his employees. He hasn't made those cuts as you described YET. But it's not out of the kindness of his heart. It's his cold calculating way of slowly cutting wages and benefits to keep any mass uprising from beginning.

HomeDelivery

over here, the contractor will reply, "so you want 20-30 stops added to your daily load?"

driver gets 20-30 bucks per day more & contractor wins too! :likeit:

P

prodriver

I would love to see the day FedEx tries to switch Express over to the contractor scam. That would be the death of FedEx. Maybe Fred hasn't done it because he knows it will not work. As far as cutting express to the bone. He already has and still can't turn much of a profit. But there's a lot of fat at the top he won't touch. I'd say the old man is just out of touch and out of ideas.

I heard "shop" talk of express going to contractor model about 5 or so years ago, didn't pay much attention to it, but a contractor model at express wouldn't be the death of company there is no shortage of wanna be contractors. Look at how profitable ground is now.

MAKAVELI

I heard "shop" talk of express going to contractor model about 5 or so years ago, didn't pay much attention to it, but a contractor model at express wouldn't be the death of company there is no shortage of wanna be contractors. Look at how profitable ground is now.
Express is a whole different ballgame. FedEx would never give you the control to run Express and you would have probably three quarters of the employees quit rather than work for a contractor.

STFXG

Why would we want express drivers? It's not completely different. Make pickups in window, make deliveries in window. Simple.

Sent using BrownCafe App

P

prodriver

I can see it now MFE would be posting about an ICU independent contractors union.