Guaranteed hours for FT cover driver?

WifetoUPS

My husband started with UPS July 2014 as a seasonal cover driver. In January he was bumped to a FT Cover Driver. Some weeks he works 5 days a week, but this week he hasn't worked at all. Every morning he drives in, waits around, and finds out he doesn't have a route. Isn't he guaranteed work now that he's FT? Is this common?

UPSGUY72

He's only guaranteed 8 hrs if he speaks up. If they tell him there isn't any work and he doesn't say anything he isn't guaranteed any hrs.

On the other hand if he speaks up they could lay him off and then give him the option to work 1 or 2 pt shifts at what would be his pt pay about $10 - $11 hr.

PT Car Washer

He's only guaranteed 8 hrs if he speaks up. If they tell him there isn't any work and he doesn't say anything he isn't guaranteed any hrs.

On the other hand if he speaks up they could lay him off and then give him the option to work 1 or 2 pt shifts at what would be his pt pay about $10 - $11 hr.
He would be paid starting FT inside rate. $15/hr.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If he's regular FT (not a casual) and he reports to work at his start time then he's guaranteed 8 hours of work. Tell him to talk to a steward.

barnyard

KTM rider
Ask him for a copy of his contract, it will be covered there.

In some areas of the country, the bottom of the list has no guarantee.

box_beeyotch

Demand your 8. If you dont get it, file file file. If they lay you off, get unemployment. Eventually they will need you for something. Don't let them take work that your entitled to from you.

EasyTrucker

If they require him to show up at start time everyday he is most likely guaranteed 8. But he needs to tell them he wants his guarantee! If they lay him off, go right to unemployment office, they hate that!

johnny_hotdog

The thing that is tough about UPS is that it seems every area has a little bit different rules. From what I know in my area if you are on the schedule to work a certain day you are guaranteed 8 hrs. What he needs to do is show up and tell them he wants to work. If they see that he is going to make them give him hours they may try to get other drivers to take the day off. In my center they do this all the time and usually someone is willing to take the day off. Also I have read that if they tell you they dont have 8hrs of work for you, they have to pay you for 6 and you don't have to work at all.

The first thing to do is get a hold of a union book and get very familiar with it. I have learned that you can't rely on others to know all the rules or to do your fighting for you. I have also learned that some stuards are much better than others when it comes to fighting for union members. The next thing he needs to do is start standing up for his rights and stop letting them jerk him around. One thing I know about management is when they find a driver that will let them walk all over him, they will do so again and again.

Future

Victory Ride
You are guaranteed 8 if you work. When you are on the bottom you don't always work.
Just have to keep a eye who is working if you r not......lowering seniority drivers??Then you can file.....its a feeding frenzy in my center with The PT drivers doing this