guns

bbsam

Staff member
And see this is a key point. I was brought up around guns. I was taught a healthy respect for what they can do. I wasn't allowed to use gun's unsupervised until my parents felt like I took the responsibility of holding a gun serious enough. The guns were always safely stowed away where i couldn't access them until that time. I was repeatedly taught the right way to hold, carry, safely operate, and maintain guns by both parents and a grandfather, over 100 years of gun use. I still regularly hunt (I hunt for food, not trophies), when I have time.
And you trust that is the upbringing most kids have? Interesting.

oldngray

nowhere special
CNN’s analysis determined that just 15 of the incidents on the Bloomberg group’s list appear to be genuine school shootings that "were situations similar to the violence in Oregon," as opposed to the remaining 59, which may be questionable at best. Those include gang-related incidents, suicides and even one slaying that might be a case of domestic violence. Of course, 15 verifiable school shootings is too high a number, say gun rights activists, but it is nowhere near 74.

Perhaps the most startling aspect of the CNN report is that the network repeated the alarming “74 shootings” statistic without first verifying the number. CNN evidently only looked past the rhetoric after spreading the bogus number, acknowledging in its report that it came from Bloomberg's gun control lobbying group.

http://www.examiner.com/article/did-cnn-just-call-bloomberg-s-everytown-group-liars

bbsam

Staff member
Considering we have more firearms than people in this country where the vast majority were never used on another human being the answer to your question is yes.
That makes about as much sense as handing every 16 year old in the country a 9mm along with his first automobile license.

brett636

That makes about as much sense as handing every 16 year old in the country a 9mm along with his first automobile license.

This coming from someone who is in the extreme minority of individuals who were not taught the proper respect for firearms in their youth..

bbsam

Staff member
At what point did I say this???

Do you think cars should be outlawed due to the crazy :censored2: b!tch that ran me into the grass on the highway on the way to work at 65 mphs yesterday?
No. And I don't think guns should be outlawed either. Just don't think they belong in the classroom because I guarantee there will be a very good number of kids that will pull a stupid stunt and gain access to a teachers weapon. What's the school's liability for that, anyway?

tourists24

And how is restricting everyone's right to have firearms making society safer? It will reduce the violence of society? These kids wouldn't be able to get a gun to commit a crime? Is that a fact? Couldn't get one without maybe a little searching?

tourists24

No. And I don't think guns should be outlawed either. Just don't think they belong in the classroom because I guarantee there will be a very good number of kids that will pull a stupid stunt and gain access to a teachers weapon. What's the school's liability for that, anyway?
would you be against having certain volunteer teachers being trained bylaw enforcemnt how to be safe and secure with an arm; including remaining quiet and out of sight?

rod

Retired 22 years
sure they are. Don't you remember being a teenager and looking at a cop's gun and thinking, "I bet I could take that...".

I will admit I thought a few times that I could probably out run a certain cop or two (never did) - I did hide from them a time or two--but I never thought about actually taking a cops gun. My Mother didn't raise a fool. :angel:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
if I were a high school student and my teachers were armed, I wouldn't have to sneak a gun in, just steal one of theirs.
You don't own guns, so you don't have any understanding of how proper concealment/retention holsters work. The reality of the situation is that you cant steal something if you cant see it and you don't know that it is there.

I deliver to several elementary and middle schools. Mounted on the wall of each office is a heart defibrillator, a fire extinguisher, some HazMat breathing apparatus, and an extensive first aid kit for use by trained responders. Why cant there also be a 12 gauge shotgun mounted on that wall, concealed in a lock box, with access allowed only for teachers and administrators who have been trained in its use?

Standard protocol for dealing with a school shooting is to call 911 and wait for armed police to respond. All I am suggesting is that we cut the response time by having an armed responder in the office or classroom instead of 5-10 minutes away in a patrol car. Contrary to popular belief, the issuance of a police badge does not automatically confer upon its wearer some sort of superior ability with firearms. My gun club counts among its members several local teachers who carry concealed while working, and I have seen firsthand how good of a shot they are. God help the scumbag who tries to shoot up their classroom!

bbsam

Staff member
And how is restricting everyone's right to have firearms making society safer? It will reduce the violence of society? These kids wouldn't be able to get a gun to commit a crime? Is that a fact? Couldn't get one without maybe a little searching?
As I said. Give them all guns. If you really think that makes everyone safer, don't restrict anyone. 16 is old enough to drive, should be old enough to own a gun and carry. If that is what you believe, why arm only the teachers?

bbsam

Staff member
You don't own guns, so you don't have any understanding of how proper concealment/retention holsters work. The reality of the situation is that you cant steal something if you cant see it and you don't know that it is there.

I deliver to several elementary and middle schools. Mounted on the wall of each office is a heart defibrillator, a fire extinguisher, some HazMat breathing apparatus, and an extensive first aid kit for use by trained responders. Why cant there also be a 12 gauge shotgun mounted on that wall, concealed in a lock box, with access allowed only for teachers and administrators who have been trained in its use?

Standard protocol for dealing with a school shooting is to call 911 and wait for armed police to respond. All I am suggesting is that we cut the response time by having an armed responder in the office or classroom instead of 5-10 minutes away in a patrol car. Contrary to popular belief, the issuance of a police badge does not automatically confer upon its wearer some sort of superior ability with firearms. My gun club counts among its members several local teachers who carry concealed while working, and I have seen firsthand how good of a shot they are. God help the scumbag who tries to shoot up their classroom!
But I have worked with kids. They will find it.