Had an accident, now I've got questions

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I've known drivers that reported hitting mailboxes and offered to pay for them. Management sometimes like to cover up little accidents and look the other way. That keeps their numbers looking good. I have known a few that got fired for not reporting hitting a mailbox. If its a cheap metal mailbox they cost about ten bucks at Home Depot and four screws hold them on.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So I took a mailbox out today with my package car's tailswing. Didn't destroy anything, but uprooted it and, since it was zip-tied to a second newspaper box, I wasn't able to get it back into it's original position.

I called my supervisor and let him know. Got questioned a bit, received a couple more phone calls to run through the situation over and over again. Ended with them telling me "When the smoke clears, we'll let you know."

I qualified in June, this is my first incident. I'm curious how you all think it might play out? I spoke with another driver when I finished my route and got back to the building, and he was pretty adamant that I was going to get a warning letter and maybe a few ride-alongs. I'm worried that I might lose my job. Anyone have any insight here?
If the home owners is cool with it, it won't be processed as an accident. The last thing the management team wants is headaches.

Zowert

You’re fine, you reported it. We have drivers here that get into at least one ‘crash’ every year and they’re still employed. One dude has a dozen over his ten years with UPS. I think the rule is 3 accidents in nine months to get canned, not positive though.

You will see a lot of BS over your career with what UPS counts as an avoidable accident. Once I was parked blocking a lady’s driveway, she got in her car and backed into me. Didn’t even look. UPS said it was an avoidable accident. This was two months after I qualified. From then on I started blocking streets instead of driveways.

Indecisi0n

So I took a mailbox out today with my package car's tailswing. Didn't destroy anything, but uprooted it and, since it was zip-tied to a second newspaper box, I wasn't able to get it back into it's original position.

I called my supervisor and let him know. Got questioned a bit, received a couple more phone calls to run through the situation over and over again. Ended with them telling me "When the smoke clears, we'll let you know."

I qualified in June, this is my first incident. I'm curious how you all think it might play out? I spoke with another driver when I finished my route and got back to the building, and he was pretty adamant that I was going to get a warning letter and maybe a few ride-alongs. I'm worried that I might lose my job. Anyone have any insight here?
You'll have to listen to your sups and center manager telling you that you are a POS and should know better. They will treat it like you ran over a child. It will be the topic of the PCM and blah blah blah.

Reality
You did everything right by calling it in. You will end up with a warning letter at best. Smile and carry on. Also be on the look out for them coming to observe you for the next two weeks.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Not always true. A guy in my building rear ended a lady that slammed on brakes unexpectedly because she spilled her coffee. Got cited for following too close. She went to the hospital due to burns (self inflicted) and "neck pain." He kept his job.
You guys have a strong local then. “Hit other in rear” is an instant walk to the gate here.

PPH_over_9000

You'll have to listen to your sups and center manager telling you that you are a POS and should know better. They will treat it like you ran over a child. It will be the topic of the PCM and blah blah blah.

Reality
You did everything right by calling it in. You will end up with a warning letter at best. Smile and carry on. Also be on the look out for them coming to observe you for the next two weeks.
Nobody said a word to me this morning about it. I also wasn't assigned a route with a few other guys and managed to go home.

At the PCM they did mention that our building was 1 and 0 for accidents and injuries yesterday... with the 1 accident being another driver that rear-ended another car and pushed them off the road. No mention of mailboxes.

I wonder if they're waiting for a customer claim/complaint to push any discipline on me.

11.19igrad

1. A vehicle had to be towed.
2. Someone had to go to the hospital.
3. A citation was issued.

If you check two of those boxes, they can and will fire you. You took out a mailbox and reported it immediately. You’re fine.
wrong. none of these happened to me.

purehavanne

I’ve “settled” minor property damage in the past with cash. At this point in my career I wouldn’t do it. You can’t trust that a pesky neighbor won’t try to report it. When it’s found it WILL backfire. My advice: don’t hit anything.

quad decade guy

If they told you to keep working after you reported it, you'll be fine. Maybe a useless warning letter at most. Wipe your butt with it and get ready for peak.
Oh? First step of discipline. I've seen drivers fired for too many accidents. Have seen it with my own eyes. Actually a friend of mine. Yes, they were all MINOR accidents of this type. He was also very active in the union and a chronic "filer".

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Oh? First step of discipline. I've seen drivers fired for too many accidents. Have seen it with my own eyes. Actually a friend of mine. Yes, they were all MINOR accidents of this type. He was also very active in the union and a chronic "filer".
Did they get their job back?