Had an accident, now I've got questions

quad decade guy

I'm sure 95% of drivers in UPS history have taken out a mailbox (myself included).
I let the supe know and tried telling the homeowner but no one was home (left a note). Me nor anyone else I've known rcvd any discipline for it. The most that happened was a driver spent a few hours on the weekend repairing/replacing the mailbox.
Really? 95%? A driver sanctioned by the company to work off the clock on private property to repair accidental damage? Did it happen? Ok. But do you see how that sounds? Looks? Really? It's just about unbelievable that a Division Mgr. would sign off on something like this. District mgr.?

Est.1998

Really? 95%? A driver sanctioned by the company to work off the clock on private property to repair accidental damage? Did it happen? Ok. But do you see how that sounds? Looks? Really? It's just about unbelievable that a Division Mgr. would sign off on something like this. District mgr.?
What is it that you're trying to say?
Ethics?
Looks and sounds great to me.
Why would a division manager need to get involved for this?
No one was injured, and the solution is simple.
You prefer to be fired and the company sued for the destruction of the mailbox?

Est.1998

wrong. none of these happened to me.
Your mistake was not being in the vehicle when the mailbox was destroyed.
After which, you lie about the handbrake being faulty, report your superiors to Osha, all while not even being in the union.
Even with all this, i still believe you can get your job back.

quad decade guy

What is it that you're trying to say?
Ethics?
Looks and sounds great to me.
Why would a division manager need to get involved for this?
No one was injured, and the solution is simple.
You prefer to be fired and the company sued for the destruction of the mailbox?
Uh no. How about the Company pay for the damage and the driver gets whatever he gets. Charged or not charged. What happens if say the driver cuts his thumb off "fixing" this damage. Or has a heart attack? Just for a couple to start. Say he doesn't do a satisfactory job? On and on. Is he "on the clock"? Ethics? No. See? So, let's say any of these scenarios happen. What's the center mgr/sup. etc. gonna do then? It'll go straight to the Div. mgr. See? Serious question.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
So I took a mailbox out today with my package car's tailswing. Didn't destroy anything, but uprooted it and, since it was zip-tied to a second newspaper box, I wasn't able to get it back into it's original position.

I called my supervisor and let him know. Got questioned a bit, received a couple more phone calls to run through the situation over and over again. Ended with them telling me "When the smoke clears, we'll let you know."

I qualified in June, this is my first incident. I'm curious how you all think it might play out? I spoke with another driver when I finished my route and got back to the building, and he was pretty adamant that I was going to get a warning letter and maybe a few ride-alongs. I'm worried that I might lose my job. Anyone have any insight here?
I’d fire you for reporting it.

11.19igrad

Please let us know all the details and the outcome of your situation. Preferably in 500 post or less.
i was taught: we only adjust hand mirrors. then, after my truck rolls with no alarms and sitting fine for 2min- "oh, you have to tighten the handbrake". not a single anything from trainers or sups about rollaway prevention. evil bull:censored2:.

Not Rushin’

So I took a mailbox out today with my package car's tailswing. Didn't destroy anything, but uprooted it and, since it was zip-tied to a second newspaper box, I wasn't able to get it back into it's original position.

I called my supervisor and let him know. Got questioned a bit, received a couple more phone calls to run through the situation over and over again. Ended with them telling me "When the smoke clears, we'll let you know."

I qualified in June, this is my first incident. I'm curious how you all think it might play out? I spoke with another driver when I finished my route and got back to the building, and he was pretty adamant that I was going to get a warning letter and maybe a few ride-alongs. I'm worried that I might lose my job. Anyone have any insight here?
You will almost certainly get a warning letter. You saved your job by reporting the incident and being honest

11.19igrad

Your mistake was not being in the vehicle when the mailbox was destroyed.
After which, you lie about the handbrake being faulty, report your superiors to Osha, all while not even being in the union.
Even with all this, i still believe you can get your job back.
what are you smoking? of course i was in the union.
what lie are you talking about. a sup told me for the first time EVER that my handbrake was loose. Integrad didnt teach that and on over 10k deliveries previously I had not the slightest clue to check if it was loose or tight.
what baffles me is how accidents with a driver in control of the truck are easier to overcome than a gearshift not properly engaged, no alarm for such a major problem and not an ounce of review or training on rollaway prevention anywhere at integrad or at the hub. nothing. zilch.
it doesnt need to be a clause in the contract. if a gearshift isn't engaged there should be an alarm just like if the handbrake isn't engaged. rollaways should be impossible. For as fast as we have to work and handle countless tasks each that require our full attention, alarms are essential. even the best of the best arent always going to be perfect. mistakes happen with this much going on, this fast.
how many "funny" faces is this gonna get? everything is just "funny".
at ups, common sense is deeply frowned upon. and since i questioned the lack of it in the training process, grown men got their feelings hurt and thats really why I was fired.
a sup NEVER examined or corrected me on my parking methods or pre-trip even once. Never said a word about a loose handbrake or preventing a rollaway. So, thats their character, their choice to be that careless, that full of hate and misery and disregard for life. I came to work hard and improve my life with a decent job that I expected great training to do. Thats all. But that was too much to ask for at UPS.

Last edited:

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
what are you smoking? of course i was in the union.
what lie are you talking about. a sup told me for the first time EVER that my handbrake was loose. Integrad didnt teach that and on over 10k deliveries previously I had not the slightest clue to check if it was loose or tight.
what baffles me is how accidents with a driver in control of the truck are easier to overcome than a gearshift not properly engaged, no alarm for such a major problem and not an ounce of review or training on rollaway prevention anywhere at integrad or at the hub. nothing. zilch.
it doesnt need to be a clause in the contract. if a gearshift isn't engaged there should be an alarm just like if the handbrake isn't engaged. rollaways should be impossible. For as fast as we have to work and handle countless tasks each that require our full attention, alarms are essential. even the best of the best arent always going to be perfect. mistakes happen with this much going on, this fast.
how many "funny" faces is this gonna get? everything is just "funny".
at ups, common sense is deeply frowned upon. and since i questioned the lack of it in the training process, grown men got their feelings hurt and thats really why I was fired.
a sup NEVER examined or corrected me on my parking methods or pre-trip even once. Never said a word about a loose handbrake or preventing a rollaway. So, thats their character, their choice to be that careless, that full of hate and misery and disregard for life. I came to work hard and improve my life with a decent job that I expected great training to do. Thats all. But that was too much to ask for at UPS.
940 to go then lock it down.