Had an accident, now I've got questions

at ups, common sense is deeply frowned upon. and since i questioned the lack of it in the training process, grown men got their feelings hurt and thats really why I was fired.

All of this common sense you say you have and you couldn't figure out what the spinny thingy on the end of your hand brake was for? You're at fault. You failed. You are the result of every kid getting a trophy, you don't know how to lose or fail and learn from it. You're pathetic.

11.19igrad

All of this common sense you say you have and you couldn't figure out what the spinny thingy on the end of your hand brake was for? You're at fault. You failed. You are the result of every kid getting a trophy, you don't know how to lose or fail and learn from it. You're pathetic.
so i should have went around the truck trying to spin stuff, popped the hood just started tinkering because those are the methods. the methods are just start messing with your truck because you have common sense. those are the methods. learning is fine, not even getting a chance to get good at new job is not. and not having any real men or people who have any shred of dignity to train new drivers is whats pathetic. you defending that behavior says all i need to know about you as a person.

so i should have went around the truck trying to spin stuff, popped the hood just started tinkering because those are the methods. the methods are just start messing with your truck because you have common sense. those are the methods. learning is fine, not even getting a chance to get good at new job is not. and not having any real men or people who have any shred of dignity to train new drivers is whats pathetic. you defending that behavior says all i need to know about you as a person.
Do you use your handbrake in your personal vehicle?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

How long are you planning on going on about this

I didn't defend anyone, I condemned you. Common sense would've helped you, you clearly have none.

I wish you were from my center, you could've learned so much more about me as a person.

11.19igrad

now that I've been condemned by you, guess its over may as well jump off a bridge. you sound mighty impressed with yourself - tough guy CONDEMNING little ol' me. smh. LIGHTENING THUNDER AND EARTHQUAKES VOLCANOES SPEWING LAVA IM CONDEMNEDDDDDDDD MUAHH HAHAHA

what if I was at your hub? u gonna roll me over? smh. whatever you need to say dude.

quad decade guy

Do you use your handbrake in your personal vehicle?
Very rarely. Maybe when I launch my boat. Maybe during maintenance(depending on the repair ). To be fair to the OP: was he trained properly? IDK. I never thought about a parking brake before coming to UPS. Still don't. Should we get 2nd chances on rollaways? Good question. Now, knowing how inadequate our mgt. Is...example: when I literally first started driving, I was handed a set of keys to a bulk van and told to go make a pickup. The van had airbrakes and manual trans. with no shift pattern on the knob and absolutely NO INSTRUCTION or visual clues. NOTHING. So what do we do about the OP?

11.19igrad

Very rarely. Maybe when I launch my boat. Maybe during maintenance(depending on the repair ). To be fair to the OP: was he trained properly? IDK. I never thought about a parking brake before coming to UPS. Still don't. Should we get 2nd chances on rollaways? Good question. Now, knowing how inadequate our mgt. Is...example: when I literally first started driving, I was handed a set of keys to a bulk van and told to go make a pickup. The van had airbrakes and manual trans. with no shift pattern on the knob and absolutely NO INSTRUCTION or visual clues. NOTHING. So what do we do about the OP?
i promise you i even asked at integrad if there was any online courses i could keep reviewing- i got a look like i took a dump in the hallway. If anything can be done, I would greatly appreciate it. This is too massive of a company to behave this indifferently and careless with training. the lack of dedicated trainer drivers NOT just an on road sup is baffling. SUPS will NOT train! Trainer drivers should work with new guys a minimum of a month to instill the methods in real life demonstration and application. Or at least have a series of videos we have to watch every week for the first 6 months. It feels very intentional the lack of resources to study and learn this job. Everyone learns differently. for a career level job, the training has to be comprehensive. Its beyond me, its about all of the new drivers and the public around them. This tore me up thinking how bad it could have been. still does.

PPH_over_9000

i promise you i even asked at integrad if there was any online courses i could keep reviewing- i got a look like i took a dump in the hallway. If anything can be done, I would greatly appreciate it. This is too massive of a company to behave this indifferently and careless with training. the lack of dedicated trainer drivers NOT just an on road sup is baffling. SUPS will NOT train! Trainer drivers should work with new guys a minimum of a month to instill the methods in real life demonstration and application. Or at least have a series of videos we have to watch every week for the first 6 months. It feels very intentional the lack of resources to study and learn this job. Everyone learns differently. for a career level job, the training has to be comprehensive. Its beyond me, its about all of the new drivers and the public around them. This tore me up thinking how bad it could have been. still does.

A series of videos to watch for 6 months? What, the 20-minute safety meeting followed by a 30-minute rookie PCM every morning isn't good enough?

I'm not sure what exactly happened in your case (sounds like a rollaway but idk)... but I can say I've :censored2:ed up multiple times and my management team addresses the :censored2: ups and tells me what I need to do to correct them, and then they let me take a truck out again the next day. I've been around for a while, though, so I may've gotten on some higher-up somewhere's good side, and that probably makes a huge difference. I also know for a fact that my local's got my back, precisely because they've saved my ass before.

I feel like you may've rubbed someone the wrong way and they decided they didn't want to give you a second chance (or maybe you were on your 3rd or 4th chance without even knowing it.)

Either way, though, it's been my experience that they want us to succeed. They bend over backwards in my center to give the rookies leeway to learn the ins and outs of the job, and they give us multiple chances to prove that we're consistently progressing.

Related to my original post: So I finally had my ride-along today. It kind of blindsided me because they've had me running routes and chase cars ever since my accident. I stumbled through the 10-point commentary and they still told me I did a good job, but to review the DOK because I'll probably get quizzed on it again some time in the near future. Other than that everything was cool....

so yeah, 11.19, like I said, I'm not 100% clear on your situation but everything posted in this thread makes it kind of sound like a case of making your own bed and being forced to lie in it. Integrad is okay, but they definitely don't teach you even half of the things you need to know. When you first start you have to be a little more proactive about learning the job, because they're definitely not gonna hold your hand and spoon-feed you everything you need to know. You have to elicit advice from senior drivers and your supervisors, because management's not gonna chase you down unless you've :censored2:ed up in a major way. Other than that they'll let you coast just to see what you're made of.

Last edited:

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
Reapply as a safety trainer, you can make a video and maybe travel the country telling your story to newbies.

35years

Gravy route
Oh? First step of discipline. I've seen drivers fired for too many accidents. Have seen it with my own eyes. Actually a friend of mine. Yes, they were all MINOR accidents of this type. He was also very active in the union and a chronic "filer".
I have been at UPS 40 years. I am active in the union, so I actually hear when drivers are fired. I have NEVER heard of a driver being fired and staying fired for multiple minor accidents. Niether has our BA who started in the 1970s. We even had one guy with 6 accidents in a 9 month period. He got his job back and has been working for a decade since.

Either you are mistaken or the guy you know didn't fight for his job a some level, or perhaps he told a little fib about the accident. It just doesn't happen. Dings and scratches don't get you fired permanently period.

Report all accidents. Management will BS you and say 3 in 9 months, but you will not be fired permanently UNLESS you have a serious one, or lie about it.