Happy Peak Day

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Supposedly this is it. My heaviest day so far. They laid off my PVD driver this morning, it’s already started. Good luck out there!

Justaloader

Ours was Monday...the twilight crew (my only frame of reference) in my hub started at 5 pm....wrapped up at 1 am. Yesterday - started at 5, and was walking out of the building at 9:30 pm. Management that has been in the building for 10+ years said Monday was going to be the busiest / worst day of peak (and it was, by far)....but that it'll be smooth sailing from here on out. Interestingly, Cyber Monday and the Tuesday there-after were bad....and then things leveled out and ran just like they do during the non-peak season. I don't know how the day crews / delivery drivers in my building are fairing, but I know the night crew isn't suffering the "oh my god the world will end, we'll need 3 people per trailer" doom and gloom forecast we were repeatedly told about for weeks leading up to peak.

opie

The first two weeks were all peak days. Now it has quieted down here. Expecting volume to keep dropping each day.

opie

It aint over. There will be TV ads all weekend. "Its not late!"... Late airplanes all day Xmas eve!

From our last few Xmas eve's it had been pretty dead. Rentals pulled....drivers done by midday. Weather is clear for the next week, so not expecting any late planes. Surprisingly we really haven't had any late planes to Newark.

MattM

Our super weekend is this weekend

Monday and Tuesday y'all will be delivering until 9pm, right into everyone's Christmas Eve parties.

We're barely above june-july volumes at this point in time. We're almost over staffed. The worst is yet to come.

I'm barely getting hours. I'm barely sweating. It's nice for a change. January and February will be colder and 20% lighter on our staffing. At least some areas seem prepared

rod

Retired 22 years
I think the latest I ever worked on Dec. 24 was like 8 p.m.-- I was usually off by 4 or 5 though. The real trouble always started the day after Christmas when they always insisted on laying off too many people. From Christmas until about the middle of March you never knew what added attractions were going to find in your truck. That was always worse than peak.

oldngray

nowhere special
I think the latest I ever worked on Dec. 24 was like 8 p.m.-- I was usually off by 4 or 5 though. The real trouble always started the day after Christmas when they always insisted on laying off too many people. From Christmas until about the middle of March you never knew what added attractions were going to find in your truck. That was always worse than peak.
The week after Christmas always sucked. UPS tried to act like the volume suddenly went away but was still heavy as hell. With only half the routes running.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I'm 3 stops shy today of my heaviest day this peak (Wednesday after Thanksgiving was heaviest), of course I didn't leave the building until 10 AM today.

Currently on lunch debating on whether or not to make a concerted effort the rest of the day so as not to roll stops. I'm a little disappointed that I haven't been asked to work Saturday yet, though it gives me time to find an extra creative way to tell them no.

542thruNthru

Is it even a surprise anymore ?
Let me call this one now. I am sure they will tell you Xmas Eve they will try and get every back early but then go ahead and cut routes and load everyone up.

Oh no one except the Daves in this company believe those lies anymore. That's why I don't work Saturdays. I know they don't care so neither do I.