Harassment/oversupervising

Zephyr823

I work in operations as a hazmat auditor, air smalls & overgoods clerk. My supervisor is African American and I am white. I have to include this because it relates to my issue. Ive been with UPS for 19 years and never had an issue with doing what I am directed to do. Fair days work, fair days pay. I have a good reputation with the company. Do what I gotta do and go home. My supervisor has a reputation for oversupervising and harassment. She has been disciplined in the past. This past Friday near the end of my shift I had a small stack of hazmat papers to initial. They were in my hand as I headed to the office. My supervisor appears behind me and tells me to "leave those for Monday, just do them then." I turned and said its bargaining work and Im required to finish it. In the past she actually pulled them from my hand after following me into the office and put them in a desk drawer. I threw up my hands in frustration and simply walked out. I should not have let that slide. (Don't rock the boat) I did though and now regret it.
She follows me into the office and angrily states that "they are getting on my ass because of youses time!"-Exact quote. I turned and said that thats her job and not my problem. I said Im doing my work! What do you want me to do? She then says, that the big boss wants to know why it takes 20 minutes to fill them out! I said, Go get him and he can sit here and watch me! Im not playing tiddily winks! Im doing my work! My voice was raised but I wasn't speaking angrily but with a frustrated tone. I was frustrated because she has been "on" me constantly for days. Had a strong sense of being harassed and she has been threatening my job/time. Out of the blue she says to me very threateningly: "Oh you're just talking to me like that because of all this...(she sweeps her hand across her face)my black skin bothers you." I was so shocked and said, excuse me? She says it again, "You're talking to me like that because Im black!" I stood up and said, Don't ever accuse me of being racist. She then says, "I know how you people are!" I walked out and up to my other supervisor and told him what happened. He said we have to arrange a meeting to talk it out blah blah blah. She's barking at me about being insubordinate, etc. I never said I wasn't going to do what Im told. She was sitting down and I turned to respond to the things she was saying. All of a sudden she rolls back with her hands curled up against her chest acting like I was going to attack her or something. It was pretty scary. I just said oh my god! You are actually going to play that game? My last words to her: You are a horrible human being. I turned to my other supervisor and said she's psycho. She's actually psycho. I, at that point was about to burst into tears. I walked out and went back to my job. The other supervisor did come down to check on me and was very nice about it. So today Im hoping they have the meeting. I cannot wait to defend myself if thats even possible. They let her slide on everything. Im hoping to get some feedback or see if anyone here has anything like this happen to them. Thanks!
I work in operations as a hazmat auditor, air smalls & overgoods clerk. My supervisor is African American and I am white. I have to include this because it relates to my issue. Ive been with UPS for 19 years and never had an issue with doing what I am directed to do. Fair days work, fair days pay. I have a good reputation with the company. Do what I gotta do and go home. My supervisor has a reputation for oversupervising and harassment. She has been disciplined in the past. This past Friday near the end of my shift I had a small stack of hazmat papers to initial. They were in my hand as I headed to the office. My supervisor appears behind me and tells me to "leave those for Monday, just do them then." I turned and said its bargaining work and Im required to finish it. In the past she actually pulled them from my hand after following me into the office and put them in a desk drawer. I threw up my hands in frustration and simply walked out. I should not have let that slide. (Don't rock the boat) I did though and now regret it.
She follows me into the office and angrily states that "they are getting on my ass because of youses time!"-Exact quote. I turned and said that thats her job and not my problem. I said Im doing my work! What do you want me to do? She then says, that the big boss wants to know why it takes 20 minutes to fill them out! I said, Go get him and he can sit here and watch me! Im not playing tiddily winks! Im doing my work! My voice was raised but I wasn't speaking angrily but with a frustrated tone. I was frustrated because she has been "on" me constantly for days. Had a strong sense of being harassed and she has been threatening my job/time. Out of the blue she says to me very threateningly: "Oh you're just talking to me like that because of all this...(she sweeps her hand across her face)my black skin bothers you." I was so shocked and said, excuse me? She says it again, "You're talking to me like that because Im black!" I stood up and said, Don't ever accuse me of being racist. She then says, "I know how you people are!" I walked out and up to my other supervisor and told him what happened. He said we have to arrange a meeting to talk it out blah blah blah. She's barking at me about being insubordinate, etc. I never said I wasn't going to do what Im told. She was sitting down and I turned to respond to the things she was saying. All of a sudden she rolls back with her hands curled up against her chest acting like I was going to attack her or something. It was pretty scary. I just said oh my god! You are actually going to play that game? My last words to her: You are a horrible human being. I turned to my other supervisor and said she's psycho. She's actually psycho. I, at that point was about to burst into tears. I walked out and went back to my job. The other supervisor did come down to check on me and was very nice about it. So today Im hoping they have the meeting. I cannot wait to defend myself if thats even possible. They let her slide on everything. Im hoping to get some feedback or see if anyone here has anything like this happen to them. Thanks!
Day 3. Still no meeting...

Zephyr823

Had the meeting with steward present. She denied and lied. Unbelievably she said it again. Stated, “ Well do you have a problem with all this?” Sweeping her hand in front of her face. And added, “I think you do. And I think you have a problem with men. You dont like men telling you what to do.” Right out of left field! I couldnt believe it. I have never had any problems taking direction from anyone! I said, there you go. She’s doing it again! In front of you!
My supervisor sternly said her name increasingly louder three times until she shut up. Then turned to my steward and I and asked us to step out so they could speak privately.
It took around 20 minutes to be ushered back into the office. Supe states that he doesnt have to disclose what was said. I said fine.
He asked me to follow any direction that she gives me and that if I want to continue with the grievance for harassment its up to me. He states that he will not discuss that part of it anymore. I said okay. Also at one point during the meeting as I was talking to the supe, she was in the corner mumbling and mocking me. It was crazy.
So another steward came to me at the end of my shift with the grievance papers. I signed them as he gave me much needed support. I intend to follow through. The head of security is also coming to meet with me next week to discuss the matter.
Zero tolerance. We will see...

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Had the meeting with steward present. She denied and lied. Unbelievably she said it again. Stated, “ Well do you have a problem with all this?” Sweeping her hand in front of her face. And added, “I think you do. And I think you have a problem with men. You dont like men telling you what to do.” Right out of left field! I couldnt believe it. I have never had any problems taking direction from anyone! I said, there you go. She’s doing it again! In front of you!
My supervisor sternly said her name increasingly louder three times until she shut up. Then turned to my steward and I and asked us to step out so they could speak privately.
It took around 20 minutes to be ushered back into the office. Supe states that he doesnt have to disclose what was said. I said fine.
He asked me to follow any direction that she gives me and that if I want to continue with the grievance for harassment its up to me. He states that he will not discuss that part of it anymore. I said okay. Also at one point during the meeting as I was talking to the supe, she was in the corner mumbling and mocking me. It was crazy.
So another steward came to me at the end of my shift with the grievance papers. I signed them as he gave me much needed support. I intend to follow through. The head of security is also coming to meet with me next week to discuss the matter.

Good luck

Zephyr823

Good luck

Thank you

DeadOnArrival

Belt Wide
This thread is excellent, I'm cheering for you and I'll tune in for the next post

images

Last edited:

formymax

UPSers home page “SIU on the case: retaliation”,is scrolling a story about management retaliation and how they supposedly took care of it. They recycled this story from about 6 months ago - hard to believe they can’t come up with another example. Read the comments - everyone responding believes retaliation is rampant & the company covers it up & does nothing.

I’m in a similar situation & I believe because the management person is a minority the company is afraid to properly act. My case is going to the next level.

Carry a notebook & write down everything every day - because they won’t - they just make things up as they go. Keep filing grievances on her if her behavior is harassing or retaliatory. That way you’ll have a witness at hearings to her behavior and statements. Do NOT go to HR -they will use your statements to protect themselves & deny you ever said anything. Call the hotline number to get a record of complaint but don’t expect results there either.

I wish you luck and hope your union reps are as good as mine.