Has anyone actually been fired for attendance?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Clocking out is much easier.
IMG_5074.gif

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

At my building they say they have a new system where lates are instantly notified back to the boss/supervisors. Not sure if it’s a company wide initiative or our building is just catching up finally.

They seem to go through these spells of intense strictness or lax. We had a guy who was late 120 times but never had no calls, so they put up with it. This new system, there’s zero tolerance. We’re gonna lose half our workforce by the end of this year.
We have that now as well. Same with 30 minutes of lunch. These new boards count to the second on the time card. I took a 29:57 long lunch and I was in the office getting threatened with a warning letter even though the time card showed my lunch being 2:00-2:30. I think it’s bogus we have to come in ten minutes early and grab our call tags, follow ups, have our bags in the car, punched in with EDD and up front for the PCM at 9am. That’s a lot of free work. So I would wait until exactly 9:00 to punch in and by the time it was done it would be 9:01 then do all my stuff. It was being counted as lates, the shop stewards didn’t even back me up on that.

Trucker Clock

So I would wait until exactly 9:00 to punch in and by the time it was done it would be 9:01 then do all my stuff. It was being counted as lates, the shop stewards didn’t even back me up on that.

The Steward didn't back you up because there is nothing to back you up on. You were late.

It's simple. Put your bag in your package car. That is the only thing you do off the clock. Then grab your DIAD, punch in and be at the PCM on time. After the PCM, download EDD, grab your call tags and your follow ups. Then proceed to your package car and start your day.

ManInBrown

Anyone who misses work frequently enough to put there job in jeopardy and doesn’t have FLMA is clueless. I can’t even count how many feeder drivers I work with who never show up and they all have FLMA. Apparently it’s not difficult to get because there’s no way every one of them has a legitimate excuse for having it.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Anyone who misses work frequently enough to put there job in jeopardy and doesn’t have FLMA is clueless. I can’t even count how many feeder drivers I work with who never show up and they all have FLMA. Apparently it’s not difficult to get because there’s no way every one of them has a legitimate excuse for having it.
You can get fmla for mental health issues :)

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
Look, ima play devil's advocate here.

In a contract where everything is spelled out, including our discipline, i fail to find UPS' written policy in tye contract.
No Where does it state that you can only use paid time off, and once all those days are used, progressive discipline begins. I see a single line about No Call, No Show.
The company Failed to provide an attendence policy, in detail. Oh well. Past practie is not allowed. So technically, what article is attendence being violated?

Mind you, i dont actually believe this arguement, the company, any company, should be able to fire those in this case.

MattM

Half of our drivers under 30 are on FMLA.
Don’t they have to use paid time off first then it’s just unpaid leave? So they basically use their option days, vacation weeks all at once?
Doesn’t seem so awesome

Unless they’re just wanting unpaid weeks off?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Here's the deal.

If the company follows the progressive disciplinary procedure, you can be fired for attendance.

Extenuating circumstances aside.... it takes months.... and multiple suspensions before termination.