Has anyone actually been fired for attendance?

Trucker Clock

But I don't appreciate your attitude.

I don't care if you appreciate my attitude or not. You want to clock in exactly at your start time and then walk 2 minutes to the PCM, showing up late.

I just told you to clock in 2 minutes early, on your way to the PCM, being there at your scheduled start time. What's so hard about that.

And people wonder why UPS treats us the way they do. Why they pass out warning letters and harass employees. You get a guy like this that demands to be paid for his 2 minute walk to the PCM.

Trucker Clock

The company requires you to grab the diad from point A and then walk to point B. Why should that be unpaid time?

The Company also expects you to walk from your car in their parking lot to the DIAD room to punch in. Should that be unpaid time?

The Company expects you to leave your house and travel to work. Should that be unpaid time?

Trucker Clock

However, for those that legit need it to care for a very ill dependant or for themselves it's a very good thing.

I agree. But the abusers don't help the system.

I know plenty of people who took the week of Christmas off claiming FMLA because their child was born within the past 12 months. Legally, under FMLA, they can. But they are just abusing the system that was designed for those who actually need it.

tadpole

The Company also expects you to walk from your car in their parking lot to the DIAD room to punch in. Should that be unpaid time?

The Company expects you to leave your house and travel to work. Should that be unpaid time?
Of course that is unpaid time. I haven't reported to work or punched in yet.

I'm still waiting for a response to this question: If the walk was 20 minutes from diad to pcm, should that be unpaid time?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
There is a difference between punching in and your scheduled start time.

At your scheduled start time, you should be punched in and at the PCM. Sounds to me like you should be punching in 2 minutes early on your walk to the PCM, so that you can be there ready to start your day, punched in, at your scheduled start time.

Or do you feel that you should be paid for that 2 minute walk to the PCM?
Diads are located on one end of the building opposite of where the cars are loaded. Takes about 4-5 minutes. If the company decided that pcm was on the opposite end of the building (which they don't). would you support that? At the end of the day it might just boil down to past practice but PCM in front of the diad rack is a lot more superficial than a 2 minute walk, and even more superficial than one which is almost 5 minutes out. Do we get paid to gather supplies and walk to our trucks? I hope so.

Perhaps from a mere standpoint of good practice, folks should try to keep their record clean. I'd imagine boss attacking somebody for not being ready at PCM would be laughed at if that employee has an otherwise stellar attendance record. Picking the right fights and all that jazz.

See Worldport shuttle discussions.

Last edited:

Trucker Clock

Diads are located on one end of the building opposite of where the cars are loaded. Takes about 4-5 minutes. If the company decided that pcm was on the opposite end of the building (which they don't). would you support that?

DIADS are usually located a very short distance from the center offices. The PCM should occur relatively close to the DIAD room and center offices.

If they want to have a PCM 5 minutes away, then yes, pay drivers for it. I find it hard to believe that any building has a PCM more than a minutes walk away from the DIAD room.

Do we get paid to gather supplies and walk to our trucks? I hope so.

Of course. You start your day at the center office, not your package car. Gather your supplies after the PCM.

See Worldport shuttle discussions.

That's a whole different animal when you have to wait for a shuttle for 20 minutes to bring you to your work area.

They were never paid for that time, because the shuttle buses ran continuously. The problem started occurring when the schedules were cut back and it was taking 20 minutes to half an hour to have the shuttle bring you in.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
DIADS are usually located a very short distance from the center offices. The PCM should occur relatively close to the DIAD room and center offices.

If they want to have a PCM 5 minutes away, then yes, pay drivers for it. I find it hard to believe that any building has a PCM more than a minutes walk away from the DIAD room.

I don’t really have a dog in this fight…but the building I work out of is a damn maze where it could easily take 5 or more minutes to the far PCM especially if you get there right when all the hundred+ other drivers are trying to do the same thing. Not to mention going through security before we even get to the DIAD room. Parking lot to PCM is usually at least 10 minutes if I stop to talk to anybody along the journey.

Trucker Clock

but the building I work out of is a damn maze where it could easily take 5 or more minutes to the far PCM

5 minutes is a little excessive. They should be having the PCM closer to where the DIADS are, or expecting drivers to be late to the PCM. A minute or two is more reasonable.

Not to mention going through security before we even get to the DIAD room.

We lost that fight. We wanted to be paid from the time we hit security.

Parking lot to PCM is usually at least 10 minutes if I stop to talk to anybody along the journey.

I feel for you guys at buildings where it takes 10 minutes to walk from the parking lot to the DIAD room. We will never be paid for that time, though.

MattM

We’ve had fights, harassment cases, generally hostile workers, truck crashes/destruction of company property all get union backing as the workers retained their jobs

But showing up to work drunk and clocking in, stealing (including timecard theft), and super bad attendance seems to be the only things you can get fired on

The union has protected some of the worst workers that I know. The dude working four jobs trying to get to work by 4am preload who may be 5-20 minutes late consistently gets the shaft here. He’s not considered reliable. But the dude fighting and verbally abusing coworkers can’t be fired because he or she generally shows up more frequently than the fellow they’re trying to fire.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I blame his parents!

ezgif-3-6d2498f230.gif
I am not!

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
5 minutes is a little excessive. They should be having the PCM closer to where the DIADS are, or expecting drivers to be late to the PCM. A minute or two is more reasonable.

They have multiple PCMs, some of which are right there. The building was never meant for the volume that goes through it now. We have quite the suburban sprawl of PD units lol.

tadpole

So you think you should be paid from the moment you punch in?
That's the way it works. If someone punchs in right on time, then is a minute late to PCM, their timecard shows they were on time and they get paid for that minute.

Do I think it should be that way? Yeah it makes sense to me because I don't agree with having people work off the clock (and it happens a lot at UPS!). But I'm usually at least 15 minutes early so I don't abuse this and it doesn't affect me.

HarryWarden

We’ve had fights, harassment cases, generally hostile workers, truck crashes/destruction of company property all get union backing as the workers retained their jobs

But showing up to work drunk and clocking in, stealing (including timecard theft), and super bad attendance seems to be the only things you can get fired on

The union has protected some of the worst workers that I know. The dude working four jobs trying to get to work by 4am preload who may be 5-20 minutes late consistently gets the shaft here. He’s not considered reliable. But the dude fighting and verbally abusing coworkers can’t be fired because he or she generally shows up more frequently than the fellow they’re trying to fire.
The scenario of the employee with 4 jobs who is late often, do those lates need to be recorded with written disciplinary actions to be seen at a hypothetical future hearing? Or if it’s a case where the guy is running ten minutes late and texts the superior, and never receives a write up, is that still recorded to be seen?

Also, does the 9th month window apply to these scenarios as well? Or do they look at your attendance for your entire career?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The scenario of the employee with 4 jobs who is late often, do those lates need to be recorded with written disciplinary actions to be seen at a hypothetical future hearing?

Yes.

Or if it’s a case where the guy is running ten minutes late and texts the superior, and never receives a write up, is that still recorded to be seen?

Late.... is late.

Also, does the 9th month window apply to these scenarios as well? Or do they look at your attendance for your entire career?

The company can only look back 9 months for discipline.

But, they know your entire history....

HarryWarden

Yes.

Late.... is late.

The company can only look back 9 months for discipline.

But, they know your entire history....
Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

I’ve had one recorded discipline in 15 years for being late, but I’ve been late more often than that but I always text and give a heads up.

I was just curious if in a hypothetical panel, and they were looking at my attendance, would they see that one write up or would they be able to see the other times where I was late but there was no discipline