Has anyone seen the new 500's yet? (P5's)

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
We just got a brand spanking new P-5 yesterday. It's not a 57, it's a p-5. It's smaller than the 57. It has a number designation of 51117. It has the same gas motor of the 57 and is automatic as well. Slick looking little car really! It was all shiny and stuff...probably the only good thing about it. I'm sure it'll fall apart just like the other new 57's did and the old 47's (Dodge Sprinter Euro Van looking things.) Does anyone have one?

over9five

Staff member
I saw a fancy new PC the other day. It had cool wrap around headlights/directionals.
Is that the one you mean?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Got any pics? Earlier this year, they had a new package car sitting out front for one day. It was "just passing through" on its way to another Center. It looked like a downsized version on the "New Generation" P7. It wasn't a Workhorse model. This one had the pocket rear doors and single rear wheels on each side.

rod

Retired 22 years
Got any pics? Earlier this year, they had a new package car sitting out front for one day. It was "just passing through" on its way to another Center. It looked like a downsized version on the "New Generation" P7. It wasn't a Workhorse model. This one had the pocket rear doors and single rear wheels on each side.

sounds like a real piece of #$^(* to me

sortaisle

nah unfortunately it has duels and is a workhorse. I'll take a pic of it today and post it tonight when I get home. I wish they would make the new vehicles single axles. It's a bitch in the winter, the chains just don't work to well in the snow. The old 500's with the single axles would climb a tree with chains on.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Heres a pic of our only Workhorse. I don't know the cube size. This is the only size of package car I have never driven. I might bid on this route if I get rolled off mine bid time.
IMG_0876.jpg

Leftinbuilding

I saw one of the P5's today. Very nice looking car. Lots of room in the cab, power steering, auto trans etc. Might still be driving a route if these had been available. On second thought, nah.....................

brown bomber

brown bomber
drove one of the new workhorse P-5 models this past week, it was probably a p-57....needless to say it was one of the scariest days that I've ever had...you don't sit up high enough in the cab..you can't see the front of the car....the handling of this vehicle during a snowstorm, was awful...even driving at 10 MPH, the vehicle was all over the road...I finally quit delivering for about an hour..until things improved..I informed MGT of my decision on that day..and they had no problem with my choice....bottom line, be safe

reydluap

We have three of these new Pkg cars in our center. One of them are always red tagged and sitting at the back of the lot. Brake and electronic problems with them. Our mechanic calls them Job Security.

sortaisle

Ok little update on the p-5. I have pics on my phone, and i'll put them up later. UPS did one thing right, they do NOT have duels on them. Smartest move UPS has made in years! LED lighting in the cargo box (it was brighter inside the cargo box than it was inside the building) and a recirculate/outside air switch. Sorry to report, still no A/C. I'm sure your not at all surprised though. I've heard from the oldest driver in history over here (pushing 66 years old) that the 57's don't handle very well. He said he's considering a kidney belt cause it shakes all over the place on a dirt road. Simple solution for that is at least 300 lbs. over the rear axle. Makes a world of difference. They are pieces of crap though. Parts simply break off of them. The engines do fantastic apparently though. I wish they would have gone with an Allison transmission rather than the standard GM box that they have. We're basically driving Chevy Silverado's out there these days.

NEFARIOUS

BOTTOM FEEDER
We got 17 of the new p-500 workhorse cars over the last two weeks. They replaced all of our p-57 cars. The new cars are ok the lights in the cargo area are awsome...They all came with the new tell-tale in them. They are single wheel and do much better than the p-700 and p-57s do climbing but still not like the old p-500s....

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We have 2 of the new 500's. They have been in and out of the mech's hands since recieving them. I think this is because we have these trucks on rural rtes and they aren't made for it. 1 sat in the yard red tagged for 2 weeks.

JustTired

free at last.......
In my time at UPS (25 years driving), there wer 2 cars that I thought were great for rural delivery.

The first was the old Ford p-5 (built in the late 70's I believe). With its' twin I-beam suspension in front you could drive down the bumpiest of roads at 60-70 mph and not even think about it.

The second was one of the first p-7s. It was the Freightliner model. Pretty much comparable to the ford p-5 as far as suspension. Any other model or make of the p-7 had too stiff of a suspension to make it any good out in the sticks.

BTW.......auto transmission? What the heck? Another lost art....shifting!!

pakmule

A roller dog for lunch
What does it take to get a suspension seat mounted in the new p-57s. Texas won a National grievance on the old p-500s to put them in. We actually got some of them installed here in Fl. Now mechanics say they are not allowed to modify the new pkg cars. The Workhorse should be called a Bucking Bronco on dirt roads.