Has everything got a lot easier in the last month?

margaritaville

I know it depends building to building. But i also know everywhere has been on a mass hiring spree. I noticed the drivers at my building getting off a lot earlier in the last month. As a an air driver im constantly thinking up conspiracies as to UPS next move because my ground help calls depend on it.

Like last year, i thought they were hiring as few drivers as possible so they would save money on insurance. And just call in air drivers when they need them. Aka last year was a great year to be an air driver, made the same as fulltime drivers but wasnt harassed about numbers and stuff.

But this year, im wondering if they are gonna hire a ton of fulltime drivers. So they wont get slammed during peak and work peak season hours all year. Because when peak season actually hits, they got really bad publicity for being understaffed. So maybe now they are just gonna overstaff everyone year round and not use air ground help as much. Which means id need to switch to full time.

Being an air driver is feast or famine as someone said, but its freaking easy and get up to 500$ a day when i ground help.

Last edited:

margaritaville

Ya i suck at making rambling topics. Add too much filler in. Basically, just wondering if you guys think that regular season hours are gonna go down to 40-50 instead of 45-55? Since they are gonna start over hiring so they dont get devasted by peak again.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Ya i suck at making rambling topics. Add too much filler in. Basically, just wondering if you guys think that regular season hours are gonna go down to 40-50 instead of 45-55? Since they are gonna start over hiring so they dont get devasted by peak again.
They are building a "village" out in our parking lot that will hold an entire center of 90+ routes because volume is beating them in the face down in Atlanta, now and during peak. To say this will not relieve the massive amount of work coming down on the drivers is an understatement.

To answer your question, no

mixyo

Dispatcher
No, we're getting :censored2:ed just as hard as ever.

Ridiculously short-staffed at my building, both loaders and drivers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We are short too, due to vacations, Feeder School, injuries, etc. We have part-timers going to driving school with less than a year seniority.

Fedex Guy

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1403739421.405382.jpg

My truck after 98 pieces off this morning. Not a whole lot easier here either.

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.

Oh no!!!!!

40-50 hours a week?!!!!

There's a thing called the Feeder list............never sign it. Just sayin.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was talking to one of my fellow drivers on the phone today, and he told me he heard from the scheduler that we were going to add 30-40 feeder drivers alone at our building. This is the second person I've heard this from so that adds a little credibility to me, at least. 2 retired management people from feeders are coming back to help train newbies just to learn to back up trailers. The regular on-road guys are getting slammed. They also said they were going to add 16 team runs (might be part of the 30-40) to run all the west coast loads coming to Texas to take these loads off the train. These runs might turn into 8 if they decide to double trip those loads. In the past 2 years, these trains are late more times than not, especially on Thursdays and Fridays. I think it is fallout over all the bad publicity from last peak when stuff came to a grinding halt in some areas. This is all good news from part timers all the way up to feeder drivers who will go from a night job to a day job. I hope it is true.