Have you ever lost your route?

Grey

By them cutting it out and combining your stuff with other routes? Do you go back to cover driving until you win another bid?

T

Turdferguson

By them cutting it out and combining your stuff with other routes? Do you go back to cover driving until you win another bid?
Are you talking about your route being completely eliminated? If so you should be allowed a bump onto and take over the route of a less senior driver. Here that bump can extend to three drivers with the fourth person being S.O.L and going back to utility driver, or cover driver

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Never had one to lose.

However, in my center they would only eliminate routes on a new bid. They might have 52a,b,c and d. Well, when the bid goes up there might only be 52a,b and c. They've never eliminated a route during the year here.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Good thing the Southern Supplement addresses training routes in the new contract. ALL routes shall be bid, the only reason a driver can be displaced is to train probationary drivers, period. As for the OP's problem, demand to work every day, bumping any lower driver and I suspect they'll find another route to "dismantle" as you'll cause them so many problems with the domino effect. Stand up or lay down, your choice.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Are you talking about your route being completely eliminated? If so you should be allowed a bump onto and take over the route of a less senior driver. Here that bump can extend to three drivers with the fourth person being S.O.L and going back to utility driver, or cover driver
This. And the results can sometimes be a better route.

By The Book

If its your bid route, you have the right, in some cases to follow the majority(over 50%) of the work. If its the route they cut because volume is light and divide it between 4 or 5 routes, you won't be able to follow it. Your seniority will get you a route to drive even if they won't train you on it. They can't force you to burn sick days and vacation by doing this. If your scheduled, show up and say what route am I on today if yours isn't running.

bashmore52

I have now been in both ends of this. Our stewards route got permanently cut and he bumped me off my route. Now I bid another route and it is being cut every Monday to more than two other routes. BA explained the contract to me this way. If my route cut is temporary, I can select, by seniority, any route that is not being covered by the bid driver. So if a vacation coverage driver bids to cover a route I can not pick that one. Any other bid or assigned routes I can choose. As long as they are not being covered by the "bid" driver.

Is this the same practice going on everywhere? The contract is very gray regarding this.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have now been in both ends of this. Our stewards route got permanently cut and he bumped me off my route. Now I bid another route and it is being cut every Monday to more than two other routes. BA explained the contract to me this way. If my route cut is temporary, I can select, by seniority, any route that is not being covered by the bid driver. So if a vacation coverage driver bids to cover a route I can not pick that one. Any other bid or assigned routes I can choose. As long as they are not being covered by the "bid" driver.

Is this the same practice going on everywhere? The contract is very gray regarding this.

If you can cover "any route that is not being covered by the bid driver" then why can't you pick a route that "a vacation cover driver bids..."??? I'm a little confused. And the fact that everyone seems to do things differently doesn't help any. LOL!

Future

Victory Ride
IDK...but recently when routes went up for"Bid" ....there was a "star" next to such "bid Route"....They are allowed X amount of "training Routes "...per "CENTER"

Overpaid Union Thug

Good thing the Southern Supplement addresses training routes in the new contract. ALL routes shall be bid, the only reason a driver can be displaced is to train probationary drivers, period. As for the OP's problem, demand to work every day, bumping any lower driver and I suspect they'll find another route to "dismantle" as you'll cause them so many problems with the domino effect. Stand up or lay down, your choice.

Here is the problem....many of the routes that are being bid this time aren't in the lineup but two or three days per week. A couple less than that. So, every week we will end up with a slew of "bid drivers" with cut routes several (or more) days per week. Not to mention the unassigned drivers. Our center has never had a problem with finding people to go home on days we are overstaffed but let's look at the worst case scenario.....what happens if none wants to go home and we end up with a slew of drivers standing in front of the manning board because their routes were cut?

This topic was brought up yesterday and the OP's BA confirmed (what I was thinking) that being a bid driver doesn't supersede seniority. The Southern says we can bump the junior employee (or bump inside) so it seems like the slew of laid off bid drivers I mentioned would be able to bump less senior bid drivers off their routes on those days and the rest would either have to do something else to get their 8 hours or take the day off.

bashmore52

If you can cover "any route that is not being covered by the bid driver" then why can't you pick a route that "a vacation cover driver bids..."??? I'm a little confused. And the fact that everyone seems to do things differently doesn't help any. LOL!
I completely agree. I think this section is being completely mis interpreted by my BA. that's why I'm here. I'm hoping to find out what is being done in other centers.

He claims vacation coverage drivers bidding a route to cover a vacation for a week is the same as a bid driver. But whatever.

I think if my route is cut to more than two drivers I should be able to follow my work, by seniority, to the routes it is being put on.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Here is the problem....many of the routes that are being bid this time aren't in the lineup but two or three days per week. A couple less than that. So, every week we will end up with a slew of "bid drivers" with cut routes several (or more) days per week. Not to mention the unassigned drivers. Our center has never had a problem with finding people to go home on days we are overstaffed but let's look at the worst case scenario.....what happens if none wants to go home and we end up with a slew of drivers standing in front of the manning board because their routes were cut?

This topic was brought up yesterday and the OP's BA confirmed (what I was thinking) that being a bid driver doesn't supersede seniority. The Southern says we can bump the junior employee (or bump inside) so it seems like the slew of laid off bid drivers I mentioned would be able to bump less senior bid drivers off their routes on those days and the rest would either have to do something else to get their 8 hours or take the day off.
I dont know how it is where you guys are but that happened in my center.....ups cut routes and had 6 extras......everyone said they wanted there guaranteed 8 hours....they gave them jobs sweeping, taping boxes and doing assessments

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When a cover driver bids a routes it's considered his bid route for the week.

upssouth

In my center they bust routes all the time. The drivers holding those routes demand to work or already have an 8 hr request scheduled for the day, like Monday when they will probably bust it. It puts the heat on mgmt