HD guys, what do you fill out on your Driver Release Doortags?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Unless a customer isn't home and a signature is needed these doortags are completely pointless and a perfect example of Memphis know-it-alls who couldn't do our jobs if their life depended on it.

Is it any wonder that our customers are confused? Few can even differentiate between the different opcos. For example, I am daily offered mis-delivered pkgs (or pallets) from FedEx Freight and Ground. All the customer sees when I walk-in the door is "FedEx", and they expect me to solve their problem. The uniforms are also similar enough to cause confusion.

The HD/Ground doortag policy IS a perfect example of how disconnected from reality Memphis is, and how dysfunctional this corporation has become, regardless of opco. They are all screwed-up in their own way, and some of the time the stupidity crosses opco lines.

This is just a small reason why most of us just laugh at the Memphis talking heads these days. They make millions being clueless, and we make pennies cleaning up their stupidity. Kind of like janitors mopping the floor when someone has an "accident".

Memphis is totally disconnected from reality, and because we all know that every opco is really run by Express practices and policy (from Memphis), they are doomed to be as dysfunctional as Express. Turnover, customer dissatisfaction, and anti-productive policies and procedures all combine to create a lousy work environment and duplication of effort. It's stupid...but so are our "leaders".

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
This is just a small reason why most of us just laugh at the Memphis talking heads these days. They make millions being clueless, and we make pennies cleaning up their stupidity. Kind of like janitors mopping the floor when someone has an "accident".

That pretty much sums it up right there.

Customers also get confused right from the git-go when they pick up the phone and 1 FedEx phone number fits all.

bbsam

Staff member
Heh...our senior manager likes to threaten with 'letters to cure' and "immediate contractor termination" if a DN is not left, 'confusing' or 'blows off the door'.

One lady called in, said she had a box at her front door but ALSO got a delivery notice, stating she had a box at her front door. She was irate that we only left one box. Why would we leave a notice if we left the box, she says?

Good question lady.

Same week, a box was delivered and DRd on Tuesday. Recip calls Wednesday, saying she found a DN on her door, but no package, but the date was Tuesday and she wants to file a claim for a stolen box. Because she never saw the DN the first time.

I generally hate DNs.

If a used DN is found in a truck or in the garbage (yes, he digs through the garbage and trucks and sits in his office and runs the barcode numbers) he will have a Business Discussion with you, tell you to fire your driver or threaten you with termination for Integrity Issues. Hasn't happened to me, but Ive seen it. And we are ISP.
I wouldn't even listen to the Senior Manager. Let him get writer's cramp and everytime he wants a business discussion let him know that you want Contractor Relations to listen in. In time, (shortly) the company will set the Senior straight.

whenIgetthere

Is it any wonder that our customers are confused? Few can even differentiate between the different opcos. For example, I am daily offered mis-delivered pkgs (or pallets) from FedEx Freight and Ground. All the customer sees when I walk-in the door is "FedEx", and they expect me to solve their problem. The uniforms are also similar enough to cause confusion.

The HD/Ground doortag policy IS a perfect example of how disconnected from reality Memphis is, and how dysfunctional this corporation has become, regardless of opco. They are all screwed-up in their own way, and some of the time the stupidity crosses opco lines.

Memphis is totally disconnected from reality, and because we all know that every opco is really run by Express practices and policy (from Memphis), they are doomed to be as dysfunctional as Express. Turnover, customer dissatisfaction, and anti-productive policies and procedures all combine to create a lousy work environment and duplication of effort. It's stupid...but so are our "leaders".

Have to agree, just today I was doing an indirect delivery of an elderly customers meds in a mobile home park. I asked the office to sign for the package, and while there another elderly gentleman asked me if that was the only package I had for the park, and it was. He said he was told by the shipper his package would be delivered today by Fedex, but not which opco! He wouldn't know the difference from Express, ground or UPS for that matter. I suggested he call the 800 #, but since he didn't have a tracking #, I also told him that might be useless! The woman in the office told him fedex has trucks coming in all day long, because she didn't know the difference, either!

CJinx

I suggested he call the 800 #, but since he didn't have a tracking #, I also told him that might be useless!
Actually, somehow, customer service has the ability to look up tracking ids based on name and physical address. It would be nice if the local stations had this ability, because my station's phone number comes up in a google search, we get these calls all the time from people that don't have a tracking id and don't know which service is being used. They get pissed off when we tell them that we can't help them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Actually, somehow, customer service has the ability to look up tracking ids based on name and physical address. It would be nice if the local stations had this ability, because my station's phone number comes up in a google search, we get these calls all the time from people that don't have a tracking id and don't know which service is being used. They get pissed off when we tell them that we can't help them.

Local stations can research AWB's through IMS, which should show destination address. If it isn't there, they can go into GENESIS and get an image, assuming they used an AWB.

CJinx

Local stations can research AWB's through IMS, which should show destination address. If it isn't there, they can go into GENESIS and get an image, assuming they used an AWB.
Is this express? I've never heard of any of those systems in my time working for Ground/HD.

Abbadabba

Those small doortags are a waste of money and time. Every truck I've driven has them everywhere stuck on the walls and shelves. I just stick em to people's doors when I deliver as instructed. Never fill them out.

Mom

We've actually had such problems with our regional CR....we have nobody local. He has to drive up for meetings if things get 'out of hand.' His response is always "Oh, no, he can't say that. Don't worry, he is a good guy!" re: SM. Then SM finds out you call CR, and SM is on the warpath. Dude is nuts.

bbsam

Staff member
We've actually had such problems with our regional CR....we have nobody local. He has to drive up for meetings if things get 'out of hand.' His response is always "Oh, no, he can't say that. Don't worry, he is a good guy!" re: SM. Then SM finds out you call CR, and SM is on the warpath. Dude is nuts.
The regional CR, are his initials BA?

HomeDelivery

OK since some customers were calling in to complain about the confusion of these doortags, i started doing what others have done & just leave it blank & stuck to the box when DR'ing at the front door/porch...

a few would notice just the package and bring it inside without removing the doortag from their door/mailbox. Then a few days later, they'll notice the post-it note on the door & question where is the package?!? or a family member will bring in the package without removing the tag & later will have some confusion about that dumb post-it... a contractor had 33 disputed claims last month, but only 6 were legit.

Schlepper

Recipient's Name: Crumple

These DTs are the most redundant thing ever. The rumor was when we switched to the new Motorola scanners, there would be no need to scan a tag if you driver released to the front door. Not so, unfortunately.

bbsam

Staff member
Recipient's Name: Crumple

These DTs are the most redundant thing ever. The rumor was when we switched to the new Motorola scanners, there would be no need to scan a tag if you driver released to the front door. Not so, unfortunately.
We were given the "ok" to stop using a few weeks ago.

Schlepper

So do you just hit "no barcode" when closing a stop or does the scanner bypass it altogether? Curious as how this would affect claims as well.

CJinx

sigh, so i'm just basically doing it for the management's bonus pay?
Well, they're still good for fighting claims. It also helps us catch the customer in a lie when they claim you never went there yet they have a tag.
"Sir, can you tell me where the tag says the driver released the package?"
"Well it says garage but I'm telling you he was never here I was here all day!"
"Well sir, could you please humor me and check in the garage?"
"OK! Fine!" *click*
and they don't call back...