Health care spending account, what a scam...

DontThrowPackages

"The Health Care Spending Account (HCSA) allows you to set aside money from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis to pay for eligible health care expenses not covered by your health plan. You may contribute a maximum of $2,500 per year to the HCSA. The minimum contribution to the HCSA is $250. Participation in the HCSA is optional and requires an annual election.
Important:
Be sure to estimate your expenses carefully as any unused contributions left in your HCSA after the deadline for requesting reimbursement will be forfeited (see the HCSA "Use It or Lose It" rule).

For information regarding eligible expenses, click here. Note: Your payroll deductions for Medical, Dental and/or Vision coverage are not reimbursable expenses under the HCSA and should not be included in your calculation of your annual contribution amount.."
Basically if I take out 250 dollars a month to place in this account and at the end of the year, if I'm lucky enough not to have gotten sick, the insurance company keeps my 3,000.00? Why wouldn't I just set aside the money on my own? Whats the up side to this program? I avoid tax on that money I planned for medical expenses? " Use it or Lose it", WOW! Thank you, may I have another.

whenIgetthere

I tried that one year when they first started these accounts. Wound up losing some of my money because a lot of what you think would be considered health care, is rejected by the carrier! So they get your money, and then THEY decide how and what you are reimbursed for health care expenses with your own money.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
yeah,
I don't use it. Unless you're on a pretty regular prescription or, going to the Dr. a lot or, have family that has to go to the Dr. a lot, it's not worth it.