Health Insurance Plan Question

Would you use an insurance plan benefit even it you didn't really need to?

• Yes---I work hard and am entitled to use my benefits whether I need them or not.

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No----if I don't really need it I won't abuse the privilege.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

over9five

Staff member
You mentioned have multiple pairs of glasses. I have two and update the lenses in both (one covered/one self-pay w/discount) as needed. My Rx didn't change so I still had the free frame and lens benefit available, even though I didn't really need to use it.

If you're defining "need" as being willing to pay for it (or part of it) yourself, then No, I would not have gotten more glasses.

I will add that the benefit explanation here is that you are entitled to 3 pair of glasses every two years. It says nothing about need.
Also, there is nothing here about updating lenses, you just get new glasses.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you're defining "need" as being willing to pay for it (or part of it) yourself, then No, I would not have gotten more glasses.

I will add that the benefit explanation here is that you are entitled to 3 pair of glasses every two years. It says nothing about need.
Also, there is nothing here about updating lenses, you just get new glasses.

The insurance will only pay for crappy glasses. You still need to pay some out of pocket for better ones.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The insurance will only pay for crappy glasses. You still need to pay some out of pocket for better ones.

My daughter called the selection the "welfare rack"; however, when I told her she was more than welcome to pay the difference between the $120 allowance and the frames that she wanted, she decided the "welfare rack" was fine.

The insurance does pay for one pair of glasses and an exam each year. I liked my frames and would upgrade the lenses as needed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You've used that phrase on BC.

Funny that your daughter phrases it that way. What would she be able to afford without pops benefits?

At the time of this incident----nothing. It was meant to be a teaching moment.

As for the "welfare" reference----that was when I was venting about being given crap while making a delivery to a bar. I had another one of those deliveries yesterday and yet another drunk started giving me crap. This time I ignored the drunk, completed the delivery and left.

My eyes have changed in reverse. A few years ago I was 20/50. I've noticed it was easier to see some things over time. This last visit I was 20/20.

As a follow up with Dave. A good optometrist does more than just decide if you need glasses. Mine keeps track of any signs of macular degeneration, which my mother has, and also a "pigmentation irregularity" in one eye that can be affected by sunlight much the same as a mole on the skin. So yes while I may not need glasses and one could consider that fact to be a waste of union benefit dollars, imo the annual visits are not a waste in their preventative measures.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My eyes have changed in reverse. A few years ago I was 20/50. I've noticed it was easier to see some things over time. This last visit I was 20/20.

As a follow up with Dave. A good optometrist does more than just decide if you need glasses. Mine keeps track of any signs of macular degeneration, which my mother has, and also a "pigmentation irregularity" in one eye that can be affected by sunlight much the same as a mole on the skin. So yes while I may not need glasses and one could consider that fact to be a waste of union benefit dollars, imo the annual visits are not a waste in their preventative measures.

There is no question that an annual comprehensive eye exam is crucial. I deliver to 3 vision "stores" but always go to another optometrist for my exams because I know I will receive the most thorough eye exam there. These exams can take up to 2 hours whereas the exams at the other places are as short as 10 minutes.

degill7994

I go to the eye doctor every year for my check up don't need glasses so I get a pair of sunglasses.

Sent using BrownCafe App