Davis Vision Frames/Prices

MassWineGuy

For $2 a month I decided to try the Davis vision plan. After an eye exam last week (covered at no cost under my wife's Blue Cross plan, instead of $10 under Davis) I looked at some frames for a pair of prescription sunglasses.

I know some call it the welfare rack, but I found a couple of good candidates. If I don't pay for frames my costs would be:

$55 for high index lenses
$50 for progressive lenses
$75 for polarized lenses
Total: $180

I figure I can skip the anti-reflective coating since they're sunglasses.

The price seems reasonable to me. Opinions, please.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
For $2 a month I decided to try the Davis vision plan. After an eye exam last week (covered at no cost under my wife's Blue Cross plan, instead of $10 under Davis) I looked at some frames for a pair of prescription sunglasses.

I know some call it the welfare rack, but I found a couple of good candidates. If I don't pay for frames my costs would be:

$55 for high index lenses
$50 for progressive lenses
$75 for polarized lenses
Total: $180

I figure I can skip the anti-reflective coating since they're sunglasses.

The price seems reasonable to me. Opinions, please.

For your $2 per month, you get exactly what you pay for with Davis Vision. For one, many providers won't even accept it, which should tell you something. It's a crap plan.

MassWineGuy

Perhaps. But a ton of providers in my area do accept Davis. There's a good chance I'll skip it in the future. But for now, is $204 reasonable for what I need? That's $180 plus the $24 I pay yearly for the plan.

MassWineGuy

My guess is that the plan is very similar between UPS and FedEx.

UpState: do you mean an old pair of frames? I might have an outdated pair of lenses somewhere, but I wouldn't see well through them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My guess is that the plan is very similar between UPS and FedEx.

UpState: do you mean an old pair of frames? I might have an outdated pair of lenses somewhere, but I wouldn't see well through them.

Yes-----do you have an old pair of frames that you would not mind using for sunglasses? That may save you some $$.

Our plan allows us one free eye exam and one complete pair of glasses (from the welfare rack) or $120 toward the frame of our choice.

I have 2 pairs of glasses and will use the plan to upgrade the lenses only, if needed, on my primary pair. If I need to upgrade both due to a big change in my Rx the provider gives me 25% off of the 2nd set of lenses.

Shop around----you would be surprised as to how many providers accept Davis Vision and the deals they offer.