Healthcare cost raised for the retired

10 point

This is what you get when you don't have leaders negotiating for improved benefits.

Our leaders seem to negotiate from a position of what the current members are willing to give up.
Also what you get when people don't vote on issues that greatly affect their futures.

Company netted 1 bil/yr in 1995-1997 yrs and healthcare was at no cost to employees.
Now they net 9.9 bil, spent 5 bil on purchasing other companies (etc) leaving 4+ bil left over and healthcare is now going to cost each hrly more.

Be thankful for what we have but watch the horizon for what's coming.

Times are changing. Business is changing.
The federal government is yet asking to tax the corporations even more (under this potus directives) so more of them can try to move out of the USA to survive the cheap competition nipping at their bottom line market share here.

There's no easy answers but not voting on CBA's and national issues is the auger that the bacteria of dilution grows on.

People in Afghanistan risked their very lives to vote for their new leadership and Americans can't even return a free ballot in the mail or stop at the SAFE voting booth for fifteen minutes.
Pathetic.

P.S.
I know about boiling the frog slowly scenario and how it applies.
The problem today is finding a frog that cares enough to jump.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Just heard that retired ups workers just got there healthcare cost raised. Some as much as $450 a quarter. Here we go!

Where ?

Any verifiable proof ?

Or, is this just locker room talk.

Yep.

The uncertainty of change, is what scares people.

There's no easy answers but not voting on CBA's and national issues is the auger that the bacteria of dilution grows on.

Spot on observation.... and nice verbiage.

-Bug-

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
U been quiet bug. All the OG roosters are in hiding ...
Pretty much.

Probably depressed about their slate being so pathetic.

Pension funds collapsing like dominoes.

VP's charged with corruption.

Just about every contract have concessions and give backs.

The union in bed with management.

It's not fun being an OG cheerleader right now.

10 point

Where ?

Any verifiable proof ?

Or, is this just locker room talk.

Yep.

The uncertainty of change, is what scares people.

Spot on observation.... and nice verbiage.

-Bug-
I am sure that friends on here may be disappointed in my next statement but here goes anyway....

With the announcement of FedEx ground building a center in our town and seeing how they drive an hour to get here and still deliver right beside us in metro areas I think that preserving the jobs we have now is more important than striking for a few unknown (not thoroughly explained) issues.

We, at UPS, work pretty hard at what we do and imo harder than any of our competitors. We expect hyper quality healthcare because we bust our butts to make this company prosper and the status quo has always been top of the line "everything " for us.....minus the trucks they keep decades too long.

"Appreciation" is a lost attitude for many of us because of the stressful work environment. All this is my stage setter for the next comment.

The delicate employment and economic situation in the USA today has got to be factored into the equation of who you're voting for in the IBT and national elections because of long term effects. There's generations of livelihoods at stake...including ours.

That being said, I had to watch from the sidelines as the corp office of the largest premium shipper on my route pulled the plug on UPS and went to FedEx after the IPA posted their full pg ad in the WSJ about their strike vote. Granted, the company already agreed to switch over a yr ago but the published strike threat was the last straw for them and others in our district that we lost about the same time.

Think long and hard about the realistic future of this company and our market share because the sun doesn't just shine on UPS although it has for years.

Money talks on both sides of the fence for consumers and shippers so common sense should prevail and if not...
the companies that rely on our services will make adjustments to pay their bills too.

I'm not a defeatist by nature but I'd rather endure an abrasion versus an amputation.

10 point

At least one if finally seeing it. Killing the goose that laid the golden egg ain't all its cooked up to be.
We (you and I) have different dynamics. You have great representation and believable info.
Others like myself struggle with trust locally so it creates an unlevel playing field and there were other issues with the last CBA that enhanced the animosity.

We can't say that our goose is not prospering and the profits are way up.
But I am saying that somehow after this next election we all have to row in the same direction. Or else.

Striking this company right now without a valid reason worth giving up a third of our volume would be suicide. Unfortunately, the company knows it too.

My healthcare plan is better than I thought it was. The pay raises more than cover the deductible looming.

When I watched premium service shipments walk out the door after the IPA strike vote announcement I realized how fragile the economy is and people will quickly make adjustments since they all pretty much remember 1997.

Let's not forget the issues at hand nor purposely be blind to what we're blessed with. There's a balance there somewhere and we'd better find it sooner than later.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Any verifiable proof?
-Bug-
This is where you just lost TDU. BUG, I have the utmost respect for you, but you just destroyed this thread by asking for proof. Now the ten TD-LUsers will regurgitate the same "I heard that too", in an effort to validate this rumor. Way to go, you wrecked it! With asking for proof!
:bigsmile2:

Instigator

Also what you get when people don't vote on issues that greatly affect their futures.

Company netted 1 bil/yr in 1995-1997 yrs and healthcare was at no cost to employees.
Now they net 9.9 bil, spent 5 bil on purchasing other companies (etc) leaving 4+ bil left over and healthcare is now going to cost each hrly more.

The federal government is yet asking to tax the corporations even more (under this potus directives) so more of them can try to move out of the USA to survive the cheap competition nipping at their bottom line market share here.

People in Afghanistan risked their very lives to vote for their new leadership and Americans can't even return a free ballot in the mail or stop at the SAFE voting booth for fifteen minutes.
Pathetic.

P.S.
I know about boiling the frog slowly scenario and how it applies.
The problem today is finding a frog that cares enough to jump.
We at Local 89 did vote on the issues. Turned it down twice but got the contract imposed on us.

10 point

We at Local 89 did vote on the issues. Turned it down twice but got the contract imposed on us.
Your local is awesome. You folks got it forced on you. "They" say there were other issues but that should not have happened.
Like I said, there were things that should not have been handled the way it was (IMO) but I'm only looking at it from my perspective and what we lived.

I think it's important to note that you turned down your "supplement".
I think it's also important to note that the rooster and his suckerman bad breath leader never bargained in good faith. They could have gotten the world and Fred would have turned it down. He had political ambitions.

10 point

I think it's important to note that you turned down your "supplement".
They also voted against the NMA by way over 90%.

There's a ton of part timers in LouKy that wait years for a full time job so I'm sure they were thrilled with an extra year of progression and tcd's bumping them out of a permanent ft driving opportunity.

I've been there multiple times over the last two decades and I've heard the members frustration of waiting for the elusive ft jobs there. I'd be frustrated with the language changes too if I was in their position.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
They also voted against the NMA by way over 90%.

There's a ton of part timers in LouKy that wait years for a full time job so I'm sure they were thrilled with an extra year of progression and tcd's bumping them out of a permanent ft driving opportunity.

I've been there multiple times over the last two decades and I've heard the members frustration of waiting for the elusive ft jobs there. I'd be frustrated with the language changes too if I was in their position.
Was the NMA voted down?

10 point

Was the NMA voted down?
In their local it was.
That's what instigator was talking about. Not the total vote ... which was skewed because at least two large regions voted to pass it but the healthcare change issue wasn't relative to their area.

He was talking about the members votes being worthless. We hear the word "autonomy" all the time. That's a misnomer to many now.