Heard about customer complaints?

deepsouthmamaw

We have the kind of team that whatever they say goes. And if you question it you are a trouble maker. I am the type who questions everything am in trouble all the time. To stay out of trouble I have learned like a good trained animal to keep my mouth shut. The only thing I challange is falseafing anything. Will not do it is being done a great deal in my ctr and being ignored. I am pressured to do it every day but just cannot bring my self to. Other drivers say they donot care about this or that. But I will not.

ups1990

About a month ago our center cut 16 routes in one day. We were told that this was due to too many drivers overallowed. Well, you can guess there were many missed buss and late NDA packages. Alot of customers called in to complain and that was it for that crazy idea of theirs. I recall that mornings pcm, they said get used to this because this is how UPS wants it from now on.

tourists24

About a month ago our center cut 16 routes in one day. We were told that this was due to too many drivers overallowed. Well, you can guess there were many missed buss and late NDA packages. Alot of customers called in to complain and that was it for that crazy idea of theirs. I recall that mornings pcm, they said get used to this because this is how UPS wants it from now on.
Just another reason many drivers arent part of the "team" anymore

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
danny, i am not even trying to respond to all that crap. just don't whine to the customer. keep in house **** in house

Yes sir, that is about what I expected from a troll.

get your salesguy involved.

But yet the sales guy we did get involved said
i am not even trying to respond to all that crap

But then you responded with the classic
or give them the 800 number. or tell your supe.

Well lets see, how can I put this bluntly enough to where you get the picture

How can giving the customer the 800 number be keeping it in house? That is exactly what a maroon named sales guy has been spouting off is the wrong thing to do.

Make up your dman mind.
</SPAN>
I got some bad news for you sales guy we were told yesterday at our pcm not to converse with our customers. UPS does not pay us to have conversations with our customers. So now with great curtisy I walk in with a smile say UPS could you sign here have a nice day and leave. So much for sales leads.
to which the clueless sales guy responded

did you bring that up to your center team? that is crap.

Geez, you really dont have a clue. Who the heck do you think gives out the PCM's at a building to the drivers, santa? Even the newest guy at UPS knows that sups give PCM's, the very sup center team you want us to go running to?

And what good is it going to do?

Exactly what you responded to my earlier post
i am not even trying to respond to all that crap
that is exactly what we would hear back from them, the sales guy as well.

So there you have it. You choose to ignore the issues and problems that the drivers see and experience everyday, along with the customers.

But you choose to ignore what you hear, because it does not fit in your happy meal box called sales.

And that is fine with us.

But dont bust our chops when the customer lites us up, and we tell them to call Atlanta (or as you suggested, the 800 number.) That is the only way things get changed.

Now, you have repeatedly shown not only a lack of respect for what we do, and the work we do each day to secure and keep the customer base we have, but you show a remarkable lack of any knowledge of the actual workings of the workplace called ups. Which brings me back to you being a troll. The behavior is there.

d

Dustyroads

Here's a real example of how we have failed in providing excellent service. Due to cuts in routes a rural center made a decision to change a particular route in a fashion where the driver would work rural routes for three or four hours before arriving at what had been his first two stops, two very large mining operations. The area only had same day air service, so the companies received not only their ground freight but also a great deal of next day air packages at about 2 pm. Their volume accounted for 75% of the pieces in the truck every day. The companies complained, our operations managers said, too bad, it's a recession. The companies gave UPS three days, threatening to divert all of their inbound and outbound freight to FedEx. The next Monday, the route returned to it's normal configuration, the mines were delivered first.

The sad part of the story is that the mines had to threaten to divert their business for us to provide them excellent service. Obviously we could do it, we did, in fact, find a way. Why did our valued customers have to hold a gun to our head?

The crux of the problem is these guys who call themselves salesguys. I recall the day when that entire department was called customer service. That's what we used to provide, without any armtwisting.

some1else

Banned
//So some1else just tells them I am just following my edd. What he didn't say was - ya I knew your stuff was on here this morning, but I am going to deliver all my rezi's first and work my way to you cause that's the way it's in edd - I am gonna show my boss I know better then them!! //

wow i wish you where my supervisor. so i can stop following edd and start delivering the way i "think" it should be done? ill do stop 1, 180, 2, 179, 3, 178 lmao. we no longer route ourselves and if dispatch is to lazy to properly do the add/cutts it is their problem.

i have seen add cuts done correctly, business set so you will get there before 1700, rezi splits cut into the section they should be etc.

then a crap dispatcher puts a cut in and it looks like they take the edd from my and the orginial route and shuffle them together like a deck of cards. if they dont care enough to do it right...

BrownSuit

I agree with Salesguy in that you shouldn't encourage the customer to complain . . .

That said, if the customer does complain by all means give them Atlanta's number in a respectful and cooperative way speaking no ill of your Management Team. They don't need to hear that garbage. Speak ill of them in your PC on the way to your next stop.

"Sir or Ma'am, please understand with the economy, we don't have as many stops and have had to cut back on the number of drivers, here is a number that you can call to discuss the situation"

I loathe splits and cuts, especially at the last minute where the customer has no clue. It's irritating and costs us customers.

I disagree with Salesguy in that you should involve BD. All that is going to do is screw up your route and end up with you breaking trace for an earlier delivery when BD talks to the center manager and says "so and so needs a delivery at this time". If there is a competitive threat, make BD aware of it, but customer complaints are for customer service.

Yes customer 1 will get their packages earlier, but customer's 2 and 3 will get their packages later.

Make your management team aware of customer disatisfaction as well and that "so and so" will be calling to complain.

Keep in mind our competitor has 2 drivers, in most cases that's a disadvantage, but they start ground off first thing, no air to deliver. They are able to hit earlier commit times on ground and position that to win customers. We appear as if we don't even care sometimes.

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We could hit more business' early while also covering air if we could get out of the building before 9 like we used to. Fedex ground gets to my area an hour before I do. We appear as if we don't care most of the time.

upslick

Drivers, drivers, drivers. Please don't forget this.....When you eventually get out of the building late (preloaders are getting cut as well), and try to run your air in trace
(which is impossible), then don't sheet anything as closed between 12-1 or after 5. Which means you need to run to get those extra business' off by 5. Here comes the important part. Please turn in a sales lead each day. lol

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I agree with Salesguy in that you shouldn't encourage the customer to complain . . .
Encourage to complain? They dont need encouragement when we consistently screw around with delivery times. We have house deliveries that get better consistency in their deliveries than we give a lot of businesses here.

That said, if the customer does complain by all means give them Atlanta's number in a respectful and cooperative way speaking no ill of your Management Team. They don't need to hear that garbage. Speak ill of them in your PC on the way to your next stop.
I always told them to call the center team first, and if that did not fix the problem, then to call Atlanta. While not speaking ill, I did inform the customer that I no longer have a part to play in deciding when they get delivered.

"Sir or Ma'am, please understand with the economy, we don't have as many stops and have had to cut back on the number of drivers,
What the.......now you want us to be good will ambassadors to customers that you are screwing, and want me to tell them they need to understand?

Wow, what a chicken****e you are.

Why dont you go out there and explain why. Because you want to make a few more cents on my delivery day, you are personally making the decision to screw their business because of delivery times that are not convenient to your business plans.

Your the one that makes the cuts to where we cant deliver the air on time, but you know that many of the customers wont even try to run the gauntlet of trying to get their money back. Goes for ground guarantees.

But what the heck. Why would I expect different from a company that promises things to the customer and lies, and they do the same thing to the employees on contract issues. Anything to make your almighty buck.

I loathe splits and cuts, especially at the last minute where the customer has no clue. It's irritating and costs us customers.
Loathe it enough to not screw the customer? Yup, you are right, its more than irritating to the customer, thats why they are leaving. Thats why they see FedEx growing in spite of their losses, and see us becoming stagnant.

Keep in mind our competitor has 2 drivers, in most cases that's a disadvantage, but they start ground off first thing, no air to deliver. They are able to hit earlier commit times on ground and position that to win customers.
Well having a start time of 7:30-7:45 does not hurt them either. And they are very interested in our business, something we dont seem to really take seriously. After all, we cant win them over on price, Sales guy has proved he cant win them over with BS, and when we tell the customer that we give better service, well all they do is laugh. It used to be we gave better service, but not anymore.

We appear as if we don't even care sometimes
. You mean we actually do care? Thats refreshing to hear. But our actions dont seem to reflect a serious caring nature about how we treat our customers.

Brown Suit, Not to pick on you, but you need to get a dose of reality. The mandates that are flowing down hill from Atlanta are killing our business. IT is running off customers that 5 years ago would never have gone elsewhere. Use your bully pulpit to change the direction of the flow. Customers are our only defense against going out of business, Maybe we ought to treat them that way.

d

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Encourage to complain? They dont need encouragement when we consistently screw around with delivery times. We have house deliveries that get better consistency in their deliveries than we give a lot of businesses here.

I always told them to call the center team first, and if that did not fix the problem, then to call Atlanta. While not speaking ill, I did inform the customer that I no longer have a part to play in deciding when they get delivered.

What the.......now you want us to be good will ambassadors to customers that you are screwing, and want me to tell them they need to understand?

Wow, what a chicken****e you are.

Why dont you go out there and explain why. Because you want to make a few more cents on my delivery day, you are personally making the decision to screw their business because of delivery times that are not convenient to your business plans.

Your the one that makes the cuts to where we cant deliver the air on time, but you know that many of the customers wont even try to run the gauntlet of trying to get their money back. Goes for ground guarantees.

But what the heck. Why would I expect different from a company that promises things to the customer and lies, and they do the same thing to the employees on contract issues. Anything to make your almighty buck.

Loathe it enough to not screw the customer? Yup, you are right, its more than irritating to the customer, thats why they are leaving. Thats why they see FedEx growing in spite of their losses, and see us becoming stagnant.

Well having a start time of 7:30-7:45 does not hurt them either. And they are very interested in our business, something we dont seem to really take seriously. After all, we cant win them over on price, Sales guy has proved he cant win them over with BS, and when we tell the customer that we give better service, well all they do is laugh. It used to be we gave better service, but not anymore.

. You mean we actually do care? Thats refreshing to hear. But our actions dont seem to reflect a serious caring nature about how we treat our customers.

Brown Suit, Not to pick on you, but you need to get a dose of reality. The mandates that are flowing down hill from Atlanta are killing our business. IT is running off customers that 5 years ago would never have gone elsewhere. Use your bully pulpit to change the direction of the flow. Customers are our only defense against going out of business, Maybe we ought to treat them that way.

d

There are many disturbing statements here.

BrownArmy

I'm a cover driver, been driving for a little over a year...

I showed up for a pickup at a business on a route I've done a couple times, and the owner seemed confused as to why I was there.

I explained that I was there for the daily scheduled pickup (blank look).

She told me that the week before she had a package and had called for a pickup, only to be told by someone at whatever UPS number she called that we didn't do pickups in that town, she'd have to go to the UPS store two miles away! (Aside from the fact that the business has a regularly scheduled daily pickup - they pay for that, right?).

To be fair, I got the impression that the maybe the owner wasn't there all that much (I know the regular guy does that pickup, and the other times I've covered the route the nice counter ladies point me right into the back room).

But, wow. Really?

We don't do pickups in this town?

I told the owner that not only do we do pickups in that town but we do pickups up and down that street all day!

I don't know if that's sales or operations or someone new on the phone, but whoever it is, please, help us help you to let us do our job without having to carry a fire extinguisher!

On a side note, as a cover driver, I'm really not ever sure what to say to irate customers...like a word you can't remember, and it's right on your tongue...there are so many reasons I can think of why they didn't receive proper customer service, yet I'm never sure what's appropriate to say. As a newbie, you know.

This is an illuminating thread for me!