Hearing Aids

upsczar

My child has been wearing hearing aids since he was 2 years old. Under the Ups company health care plan the hearing aids were always covered at 100% every 3 years. We recently took our son to the Audiologist. The Audiologist informed us that the new plan (177 western health "enhanced" plan) only covers $1000.00 per ear for a total of $2000.00. I would think coverage for pediatrics would not have been cut severely. Now we are faced with a $5000.00-$8000.00 bill. Does anyone have any advice? He is a child and surgery cannot fix his nerve damage. Thank you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son also wore hearing aids when he was younger and the $1K/ear $2K/total was the coverage back then under our Teamster plan. We never paid anything out of pocket. Why in the world are you spending up to $10K on hearing aids? Are they gold-plated?

Packmule

Not much for advice. Just info. And I only know about adult HA coverage. Used to be only about 60 percent, once in a lifetime. Now a $1000 each ear every three. I thought it was better here in Central States.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just a thought here, but perhaps there are some organizations that can help with the cost?

upsczar

My son also wore hearing aids when he was younger and the $1K/ear $2K/total was the coverage back then under our Teamster plan. We never paid anything out of pocket. Why in the world are you spending up to $10K on hearing aids? Are they gold-plated?

He suffers from neurosensory hearing loss. Analog HA wont work for his condition. I would think that this would be cover under major medical. Thank you.

upsczar

Not much for advice. Just info. And I only know about adult HA coverage. Used to be only about 60 percent, once in a lifetime. Now a $1000 each ear every three. I thought it was better here in Central States.

I am Southern California. Ups Company Plan covered it at %100 under major medical.

upsczar

I am Southern California. Ups Company Plan covered it at %100 under major medical.

That was always the case for my son too. Pediatrics under major medical for hearing aids had more coverage. That was what we were told by the insurance under the Company plan. Thank you.

That was always the case for my son too. Pediatrics under major medical for hearing aids had more coverage. That was what we were told by the insurance under the Company plan. Thank you.

Was their determination of coverage the initial response to you? My point being that there are several things that our insurance initially determined my son was not eligible for or at lesser coverage. My wife , with the aid of our doctors,took the appeal to the appropriate level and got his needs re-evaluated and covered at the required amount.