Heart Attack

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
Its has been a long time since my last post, it has been quite a pleasure to come back here and read away.

To make a long, long story short I am 33 and had a heart attack last friday. (not on the job called in before it happened)
1. I do not have high blood pressure
2. I do not have high cholesterol
3. I do not have hypertension

I could go on and on with the I DO NOT Have list (trust me) It is genetic, my mom passed away at 44. This is not a woe is me post by any means. I will be back tearin up rts before the center manager knows it.

I have contacted central states for my temp disability and been in touch and encouraged by my center manager. I know i will be back, I know it will take time for my heart muscle to heal. I have been told that i can return to work when i am 100% released from my dr.

I have been with the company long enough to know that their has to be some sort of hoop that i have to jump through before i can return to work, but no one has made me aware of what this hoop might be? What kind of whool might the big brown monster try to pull over my eyes at the 11th hour before i return to work. My wife does not work my 3 kids are homeschooled and i am on temp disability.

Are their any questions i am not asking that i should be? Inquiring minds would like to know.

klein

Für Meno :)
I can only wish you a great recovery, and hope all goes well.
And I hope you have a less stressful position when you get back to work, for your own good sake !

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Its has been a long time since my last post, it has been quite a pleasure to come back here and read away.

To make a long, long story short I am 33 and had a heart attack last friday. (not on the job called in before it happened)

I could go on and on with the I DO NOT Have list (trust me) It is genetic, my mom passed away at 44. This is not a woe is me post by any means. I will be back tearin up rts before the center manager knows it.

I have contacted central states for my temp disability and been in touch and encouraged by my center manager. I know i will be back, I know it will take time for my heart muscle to heal. I have been told that i can return to work when i am 100% released from my dr.

I have been with the company long enough to know that their has to be some sort of hoop that i have to jump through before i can return to work, but no one has made me aware of what this hoop might be? What kind of whool might the big brown monster try to pull over my eyes at the 11th hour before i return to work. My wife does not work my 3 kids are homeschooled and i am on temp disability.

Are their any questions i am not asking that i should be? Inquiring minds would like to know.

All you need is a full duty release from your doctor.

UPSGUY72

Hope every thing works out and you can get back to work. In the mean time son't worry about your job and just concentrate on your health and your family.

All you need to come back to work is a clearance from your doctor and proabably a UPS doctor.

whiskey

If your center manager got your back , you should be good to go. Welcome back. Your post is an inspiration to all of us here on BC.

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. At only 33 too. Fortunately, being that young, you should heal pretty quickly.
A friend of mine who is now retired had a heart attack while on the job. After that, he had to have yearly dot physicals. Not sure if that will happen with you or not.
Anyhow, take time to heal and it's good to have you back.

tieguy

Banned

I had a heart valve replaced last year. my biggest problem was getting a doctor to sign off and release me. They are clearly worried about signing off on a possible liablility which is understandable.

listen to what your doctor tells you. If there are any lifestyle changes you can make that will help you then by all means do so.

good luck best wish's to you.

bitter to the bone

Read your post and just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery and take care of yourself. As UpstateNYUPSer says "your health is far more important" so do what you need to do to get well and in due course when you return to work, look into the article 22.3 jobs that he spoke about. God Bless

Cobra, sorry about the ticker, glad to hear you are doing better.
The only kicker I can think of is that you will probley have to pass some kind of extensive physical by a doc the company chooses. Tie's post pretty much covered the return to work routine I think. Here we have had a couple of people with other types of "the rest of your life" medical issues and did return with about three different doctor releases. And yea, I figure the once a year DOT physicals will be a part of your future.
Get well soon, but don't overdue.............anything, Good Luck

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I think most of the time they will defer to the DOT regulations (ie do you have to pass a stress test, ekg, per DOT, after cardial infarction).

I was curious however, did you drive a diesel or gasoline package car?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think most of the time they will defer to the DOT regulations (ie do you have to pass a stress test, ekg, per DOT, after cardial infarction).

I was curious however, did you drive a diesel or gasoline package car?

I am also curious as to where you are going with the diesel/gasoline question.

BTW, the term is myocardial infarction.

Mike57

Just listen to your doctors. Time will pass.
6 years ago I was off for 6 weeks for some surgery that I needed. I thought the time would never go by fast enough.I even had to move back in with my folks as I couldn't drive at all.
My father kicked me out the door one day after I could move about. We walked 1 mile that day then got up to almost 3 miles a day. WOW ,after being off work for 6 weeks, I even lost weight. Go figure! I was even eating better. "Mother's Home Cooking"
Get well

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a heart valve replaced last year. my biggest problem was getting a doctor to sign off and release me. They are clearly worried about signing off on a possible liablility which is understandable.

listen to what your doctor tells you. If there are any lifestyle changes you can make that will help you then by all means do so.

good luck best wish's to you.

Were they worried about your job being too stressful or about physical activity? Or both? I would think a driver would have about a zero chance of getting a clearance from a doctor if that doctor had any idea what the average UPS driver does in a day. The same would go for a loader or unloader.

tieguy

Banned
Were they worried about your job being too stressful or about physical activity? Or both? I would think a driver would have about a zero chance of getting a clearance from a doctor if that doctor had any idea what the average UPS driver does in a day. The same would go for a loader or unloader.

yep they put me on blood thinners and cholesteral medicine and something that lowers the hearbeat which I did not otherwise need to minimize the stress on the valve. then back to the brown grinder. :wink2:

I would think with his family history they should have him on some kind of regularly scheduled monitoring program. But then I aint no doctor.