Heart Attack

bellesmom

I had a heart attack 2 years ago, got all cleaned out and 2 stents added. The only paperwork I needed was the Dr saying it was alright to go back to work. You need to check your States DOT regs on what they require for the physical and yes, it will now be yearly. My state does not require yearly stress tests if my Dr says I don't need it but UPS requires it from what I've been told by the Company DOT Drs. Good luck to you, I haven't had any problems except my "supposedly" easier 22.3 job was dissolved almost 2 years ago, on split shifts with 5 hours inbetween shifts which has my Cardiologist freaked out, it's evidently not a good schedule for people with heart problems or even people without any health problems.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I am also curious as to where you are going with the diesel/gasoline question.

BTW, the term is myocardial infarction.

In my biased, unscientific, and purely speculative question I was just curious as well. I will say that some people have hypothesized that some of their cardio-pulmonary, and neurological disorders could be attributed to unfiltered diesel exhaust. It would seem to me anyway that 1 of the largest private vehicle fleets in America may be a good sample to gather information (not me, but someone qualified).

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I am under the impression that heart muscle doesn't heal as well or like normal muscle. You may want to clarify this with your Dr. Tell the Dr. exactly what it is you do and what is expected of you. Tell the Dr. you want to do a few weeks of physical therapy and have the therapist set up a little UPS style therapy program for you, so you can see exactly how you will feel being back at work. If work will be too much for you, DO NOT RETURN. Remember that your Wife and Children need a Husband/Father, more than they need a dead UPS man.

raceanoncr

Most likely after your doctor releases you, they will make you go see the company "quack", and get a release from him as well.

Is that something they do in your area , i've never seen it done for a disability.

Yes, always, here anyway. Have had two hip replacements in the last two years and have had to go to company doc to verify I could walk in and out.

In fact, Art 20, sec 2 states that after being released by your own doc, you MUST go see company doc.

T Princess Local 866

Best of Luck to you. I wish you a speedy recovery. You also need to go to the company doctor to be released by him. You Dr can release you till the cows come home if the company doctor does not release you 100 percent, no restrictions then you can't come back till they release you. So when you are ready to go to your doctor for the release. Also contact UPS speak to the Safety sup or someone in HR who does the Disability. They will give you the name and address of the company doctor and a paper that needs to be filled out by them. Good Luck again. I hope this helps. I find this is the "Loop hole" you should be looking for. We in 177 had someone who had a heart attack it took him time but he is back on the job.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
its been 2 wks since my heart attack and i am feeling better every day. I will say my stamina is lacking but i know will come back. The hardest thing about all of this is trying to lose weight while quitting dipping (smokeless tobbacco). They say for a smoker to quit smoking they need to keep their hands busy but that doesnt quite work for me. I would leave a dip in my mouth for 3 to 4 hours, i now am constantly eating (fruits and veggies) and always have to have something in my mouth (other than my foot).

How far in advance should i contact the safety person incharge of disabilities? I figured that i would have to see the company quack.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
its been 2 wks since my heart attack and i am feeling better every day. I will say my stamina is lacking but i know will come back. The hardest thing about all of this is trying to lose weight while quitting dipping (smokeless tobbacco). They say for a smoker to quit smoking they need to keep their hands busy but that doesnt quite work for me. I would leave a dip in my mouth for 3 to 4 hours, i now am constantly eating (fruits and veggies) and always have to have something in my mouth (other than my foot).

How far in advance should i contact the safety person incharge of disabilities? I figured that i would have to see the company quack.

Wow! I have no idea about quitting tobacco and it's addictive grip, but it sounds like you're really trying, and in a much healthier way than patches and gums. Good luck, CA. I'll keep you in my prayers.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I quit chewing tobacco about 4.5 years ago. It was the hardest thing ever. I chewed all day everyday (Copenhagen). Literally, I would wake up, brush my teeth and instantly put in a dip, The only time I did not have one in was while eating. I even fell asleep at night with it in my mouth. Would wake up some times after being asleep for a few hours and go spit it out. Chewed about 2 full cans a day. I cannot tell you any tricks to help you quit, I wish I could. Just have to decide your not going to do it anymore. I did try chewing gum and toothpicks. I kept a toothpick in my mouth alot!!

My Daughter, Who was 9 at the time, came to me one day after having a video in class about the damage caused by tobacco, and asked me why I chewed? She said"You know thats gonna kill you someday?" That was the last time I ever chewed, couldn't bear seeing that look in her eyes when she said that ever again.

Good luck to ya!!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I quit chewing tobacco about 4.5 years ago. It was the hardest thing ever. I chewed all day everyday (Copenhagen). Literally, I would wake up, brush my teeth and instantly put in a dip, The only time I did not have one in was while eating. I even fell asleep at night with it in my mouth. Would wake up some times after being asleep for a few hours and go spit it out. Chewed about 2 full cans a day. I cannot tell you any tricks to help you quit, I wish I could. Just have to decide your not going to do it anymore. I did try chewing gum and toothpicks. I kept a toothpick in my mouth alot!!

My Daughter, Who was 9 at the time, came to me one day after having a video in class about the damage caused by tobacco, and asked me why I chewed? She said"You know thats gonna kill you someday?" That was the last time I ever chewed, couldn't bear seeing that look in her eyes when she said that ever again.

Good luck to ya!!
Dude, you almost made ME cry.

Nimnim

The Nim
Hmm, trying to quit dip and not wanting to gain weight through eating to compensate.

How about getting a nice sized button that you can just suck on? Or on the more creative side a small piece of a sponge, though that might end up really disgusting.

You'll eventually have to get rid of the oral fixation, but the most important thing to start is stopping the dip.

Glad to hear you're doing better though.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hmm, trying to quit dip and not wanting to gain weight through eating to compensate.

How about getting a nice sized button that you can just suck on? Or on the more creative side a small piece of a sponge, though that might end up really disgusting.

You'll eventually have to get rid of the oral fixation, but the most important thing to start is stopping the dip.

Glad to hear you're doing better though.
Did you say oral fixations? Hmmmmm, let me think.

Nope, sorry can't think of a thing to help with that. :wink2: At least nothing that can be posted in here.