Held accountable for telematics and 9.5 hour dispatches

Db2400

I got a diad text yesterday saying "was that last back really necessary?" I replied yes it is a dock I have to back up too and gave them the address. I get another diad text asking " and was the back before that necessary" and I responded yes, it was also a dock and it was necessary and I gave them the address." I get a third diad text to You need to reduce your number of backs. Those two backs were legit but some of my other backs I did earlier were just to get my truck in a better parking position or some are because I cant get going forward because of the ice and must back up a few feet to get going forward.

Long story short. What can they do to me? Progressive discipline or can they just talk to me every day and cant do anything to me?
Get on the 9.5 list and take your time. Tell them you're over because you spend so much time answering messages.

RolloTony Brown Town

I got a diad text yesterday saying "was that last back really necessary?" I replied yes it is a dock I have to back up too and gave them the address. I get another diad text asking " and was the back before that necessary" and I responded yes, it was also a dock and it was necessary and I gave them the address." I get a third diad text to You need to reduce your number of backs. Those two backs were legit but some of my other backs I did earlier were just to get my truck in a better parking position or some are because I cant get going forward because of the ice and must back up a few feet to get going forward.

Long story short. What can they do to me? Progressive discipline or can they just talk to me every day and cant do anything to me?

Sounds like your supervisor is a puss cause he won’t face you and tell you to your face to reduce your backs.

Now if you get told that you need to reduce backs, back 1sts, resi backs, yadda yadda and then you’re observed backing unnecessarily... then you’re subject to discipline.

These are generalizations. If you’re confident in your judgement then tell them to come with you and point out where you’re backing too much. Not all routes are equal when it comes to backing.

ManInBrown

It’s just a scare tactic. If they can get half the drivers dropping Hershey squirts in their underwear, mission accomplished. They can’t do sheet to you. Don’t fall for it.

Undertow

As long as the most common accidents the company has are backing accidents, that message will appear on the screen at some point for a majority of drivers. I get annoyed with stuff like that too, thinking "Yeah it's necessary. It's not any safer for me to try and walk these 35 or 40 parcels weighing anywhere from 15 to 60 pounds apiece to the receiving dock while trying to account for ice, snow or cracks and potholes in the pavement."

The office doesn't know your route much less the current conditions on it. They only know the data that the reports compile for them and they go off that first. If they really think you individually are putting yourself "at-risk" unnecessarily, management will most likely be out there doing an observation. I remember once many years back having a motorist plow into the package car while it was parked in a parking lot 50 yards away from any other vehicle a day after a residential customer called and complained that I must have done donuts in their yard the day of a snowstorm. They lived at the top of a hill with a driveway that twisted and turned up it the length of well over a city block. My sup got stuck just attempting to drive up the driveway in his pickup truck that had 4 wheel drive. A day later, telematics proved what I already knew. The truck never made it anywhere near where the donuts were created.

But two "incidents" in the span of less than a week automatically trigger an alarm with regard to data, so I had a sup riding with me a day later to "follow up" and "observe". It's not like he had a choice in the matter and he was thankful that I understood that it wasn't anything personal. You take a lemon and try to make lemonade sometimes.

bumped

They tried the no backs with me once. I didn't back the entire day. I carted in the post office stop, and the other 20-30 piece dump stops I had. At 2:00 I advised them I needed help with my business stops as I had 35 to go right as I was starting my pickups. Zero backs outside of the building that day. Three pm air drivers had to come help to finish my day. That was the last and only time I was told not to back.