Hello! Package Handler Question

Hello everyone!

Haven't been on for a while...been busy with lots of stuff.

I have attempted to search for this answer but have been unsuccessful.

I am interviewing for a PH position in a few weeks. I am curious if package handlers get to wear a uniform. Is it really as easy as I am reading here to get the job? Should I be expecting a large group of people when I go in for the tour? How quickly do you start if they select you?

Thank you all!

:)

BrownHumor

Preloader
Sorry, you don't get to "brown up" as we say. That's a privilege you have to earn. :wink:

Easy? It all depends how desperate they are for help. Every hub/center runs things differently too, so I don't think anyone can answer about group size with 100% certainty.

Are you ready to start the same day or next? Because I've heard of that happening.

Good luck, and just remember to work hard.

BH

ps- Don't let what you read on this board scare you. I'm not saying it's not true, just don't let it scare you. :lol:

HazMatMan

Yeah, and don't talk about Casey either like some poster wrote in a past thread, just because you quote Shakespeare it doesn't make you an English major.. I think they just want to know if you can perform the job, what you know about Casey is irrelevent.....

Hello!

TY for the answers. I am 27 years old. I am 5' tall. Will that matter? I weigh about 110 pounds. (I am only telling you this because I've read that you need to be physically fit...hopefully I am!!)

I don't want to be ruled out because I am "little." I am a tough cookie!! :tongue_sm

Angie

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Angie,
Welcome back to Brown Cafe. One important thing everyone left out, and that is to be there on time. The HR interviewer will meet you at the gate and walk you into the building on time. If you are late, they usually don't let you in. Don't worry about your height, you can make it. Good Luck and let us know how your interview went.:cool:

HazMatMan

Gee Angie, I hate to sound sexist here but one of the criteria I needed to get the job was to be able to lift up to 70 pounds by myself. you weighing 110 that's more than half your weight...could you manage???

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Gee Angie, I hate to sound sexist here but one of the criteria I needed to get the job was to be able to lift up to 70 pounds by myself. you weighing 110 that's more than half your weight...could you manage???

I hear ants can carry ten times their weight!!!! What does that tell you??

Committed Lurker

Always lurking.....
...one of the criteria I needed to get the job was to be able to lift up to 70 pounds by myself. you weighing 110 that's more than half your weight...could you manage???

I weigh 140 and can lift more than half my weight alone. I guess it all comes down to how you are conditioned.....

brown67

I don't know about the rest of you, but every female preloader I've had over the last 13 years has been great. Much more organized. The guys are 50/50. Most of the other drivers I talk to agree. Also, being a female is a big help. Many more men than women at UPS, and they try to balance that out as much as they can.

Hello and thanks again for the great answers!

That is my concern...they'll look at me and think that I am not capable. I am actually really quite strong. I've been in work fields that require a lot of heavy lifting and sorts. I can't say for certain how much that I can lift, but I am pretty confident that I can lift 70 pounds. I am also working out more...so hopefully when interview time comes around I'll be "buff!" :thumbup1:

I also wanted to ask which shift, if any..that they need more help on. I've read that when you go in for interviews, they split you up according to what shift you can work. Is there a "better" one to go into? I work 2 days a week right now, 9-5. I am thinking the 3:30-8:30 shift would be great, but I can hopefully come up with something.

Will this spot lead into possibly driving someday? A family member who never worked for UPS before started out during the holidays as a Seasonal Driver (argh) and turns out she is going on the interview for PH at the exact time as me. Wouldn't ya know it?! Is there more likelihood that she'll get in, or anyone for that matter, and not me since she has already worked for UPS?

Thank you for all of your help! :)

Overpaid Union Thug

Hello!

TY for the answers. I am 27 years old. I am 5' tall. Will that matter? I weigh about 110 pounds. (I am only telling you this because I've read that you need to be physically fit...hopefully I am!!)

I don't want to be ruled out because I am "little." I am a tough cookie!! :tongue_sm

Angie

I've worked at UPS 8 years (and counting) and at RPS (AKA "FedEx Ground") for a year and the best loaders I've seen so far were women that almost fit the same description that you just gave of yourself. Typically women are put up in smalls or on the air belt but sometimes they get thrown into the load or unload with the guys. Don't worry about it. You'll do fine. If you find that yourself struggling and can't keep up don't give up. Just keep trying and eventually you'll be moved to an easier job. That's what I've seen happen time and time again with women, AND men, that couldn't do the job. As long as you are trying you'll be taken care of.

bear123

I've worked at UPS 8 years (and counting) and at RPS (AKA "FedEx Ground") for a year and the best loaders I've seen so far were women that almost fit the same description that you just gave of yourself. Typically women are put up in smalls or on the air belt but sometimes they get thrown into the load or unload with the guys. Don't worry about it. You'll do fine. If you find that yourself struggling and can't keep up don't give up. Just keep trying and eventually you'll be moved to an easier job. That's what I've seen happen time and time again with women, AND men, that couldn't do the job. As long as you are trying you'll be taken care of.

One other thing regarding 70 lb packages. If you are in the unload, and you run across a 60-70 lb package, the packages should be on the floor of the truck so just move it enough on the rollers and it will roll down itself to the primary sorter. If you are loading you should not lift it above your head, or for that matter dont lift it at all. leave it on the floor of the truck and use it as a base for your wall. if you are sorting, and you have a 70 lb package, ask for help, for crying out loud. I ask for help if I have a 50 lb package and I have been doing this for almost 30 years. Good luck

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Hi MCM, best shift for you is whichever fits in your schedule. unless your other job is next door to UPS, you'd best try the commute in advance (try driving from UPS @ 8:40 to other job and to UPS after other job). Don't forget to allow for a meal/snack while driving, you will need the fuel. Also, at least here, the "nominal" hours for your UPS shift are just that, "nominal". I'd ask what the hours are really like (before the interview if possible) and factor that in, especially ask about "peak" season hours. The plan is for 3.5 hr shifts most of the year, up to 5 hrs peak time. Personally I work a day job usually 3 days 7AM to about 4PM then the UPS twilight/reload shift that usually starts after 5:30PM. I think the most important thing is you can always be there on time or shortly thereafter (twilite loaders start 10 mins later then unloaders, I suspect preload shift is the same). Whichever shift you take, you'll initially be trained/placed into whatever position they need a body in, probably as a loader. If you can make it work, I'd recommend the AM/preload shift for two reasons: A) under the current contract you'll get $1/hr more, B) loading trailers @ night can mean standing on a 2' high step stool stacking packages in a trailer over 9' high (they also have what we call drop-frame trailers and shelf trailers, too, ask them to point out all 3 kinds on the tour). My point is I think loading the Brown trucks in the AM might be easier for you, size-wise. Hopefully your tour will be during an actual shift, so you can see what it's like. They used to bring tour groups into the trailer while I worked. After the tour guide ( a part-time supe) was done with his speech, I'd answer questions, and then I'd tell them this a union shop, dues, etc. You sound like you're plenty capable physically, as it's more technique and mental toughness/determination than muscle that will get the trucks loaded. Oh yeah, working an inside job @ UPS will get you dirty & sweaty, some bumps & bruises. Is appearance important at the day job? Allow time to wash/change if needed. Did I mention mental toughness, if you do get hired, you'll need it to put up with what you can read us griping about here. This is the entry level job where everyone @ UPS is supposed to start from. If you want a career here, most opportunity is to become delivery driver, but there are some other types of jobs available. Waiting lists for just about all jobs, except part-time supe:laugh: . Ask about wait time. I know my local contract (here in Chicago we have our own contract which varies slightly from the National Master Agreement) stipulates 6 mos. on the job before you can even try for a different position.

HazMatMan

Wow, I took a lot of heat for this one. Hey I wish you all the luck in your UPS endeavors but in MY experiences working with most women NOT all of them, it's more of a headache than not.. Once again, please do not attack me on this issue, after all I do have freedom of speech in the good old USA...

Channahon

Wow, I took a lot of heat for this one. Hey I wish you all the luck in your UPS endeavors but in MY experiences working with most women NOT all of them, it's more of a headache than not.. Once again, please do not attack me on this issue, after all I do have freedom of speech in the good old USA...
In my experience, female employees are either excellent at what they do, or they struggle. Not too many in between. Freedom of speech as well

helenofcalifornia

That's why they are only 6% of the workforce. We can do the job, we just have to have the right mindset and are willing to get dirty, really dirty. There is no question that they don't have the muscle strength you guys have. When I started all the women started as clerks or in small sort. Things have changed. When I came back from maternity leave I asked to be put in the unload so I could get back into shape. UPS is still a fraternity. More women, with a realistic view of UPS and what it entails, need to apply, but most women can't cut it, sad to say. But then a lot of people don't seen to be able to cut it these days. MTV!!

Cementups

Box Monkey
I wouldn't think that you would have any problem. We have a girl in our Preload that is amybe about 5' and I would venture to guess that she weighs about 90 lbs. soaking wet. there is nothing to her at all. Other Preloaders that I talk to though say that she is one of the best workers on the crew.

Put in a good effort and all will be well.