help me drop weight please

ol'browneye

Cudos to you for trying to make a healthy change! There is a lot of advice here BIB. You have to figure out which applies to you!

As others have said, I would definately start with a visit to the doctors office. Sounds like you have a lot of risk factors.

A lot of it is using a common sense approach. Water, no soda. I used to drink 4-5 a day and just decided to quit. It was tough but now when I do have one (which is maybe once a week) I can't even drink the whole thing, it just doesn't taste like it used to! I also drink more juices and milk now. I have a 44oz. styrofoam cup in my pkg car and I sip ice water all day long, even in the winter.

Also, try smaller portions. The 6 smaller meals idea is a good one. I know other people have tried that with good results. It adds just enough food to your body so your metabolism keeps burning calories. If you starve yourself, your body goes into survival mode and quits burning calories.

Also, maybe try whole grain bread. I like Bunny whole grain white. It has 3 grams fiber which is more than most wheat breads. If you do have to eat fast food, grab the salad instead of fries. And if you're like me and don't like paying for a combo meal and getting water, get unsweetened ice tea.

As far as exercise, sounds like you are on the right track. I do the spin class at my gym. It's a great cardio exercise and it actually helps my aching knees (along with glucosamine and fish oil)! Again, this is something to talk to your doctor about!

Don't weigh yourself everyday. Just once or twice a week and do it in the morning. I guess metabolism burns fat while you sleep because I weigh 1-1.5 pounds less in the morning than I did the night before!

I'm not a doctor and no I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but these are just a few things that I do to try to stay in a little better shape.

And one other benefit of getting in better shape-my wife says I look better now than I did when I was 20. I am 43, 5'11", and 188# and have been going to the gym for 2 years now. Needless to say, our one on one work out sessions are better than ever!:sweating::devil3::love:

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

UnloaderAM

My 10 tips to losing weight:

1) Stop smoking (u already know this though)

2) Don't weigh yourself daily since your weight will fluctuate. Its usually lowest in the morning. Weigh yourself about 1-2 hours after lunch in the afternoon maybe once a week.

3) Eat breakfast everyday. It gets your metabolism going.

4) Don't be concerned with weight so much. It'll come off but if your doing strength training (as has already been mentioned) then it won't seem like your losing weight. Instead check inches around your waist. If your losing inches but not losing weight your probably putting on muscle.

5) Don't eat within 2-3 hours of bedtime. When you do your body stores the extra calories (ie: fat)

6) Workout more (if possible). Longer times, more weight, varied exercises.

7) If you want to lose the gut don't worry about exercising it. That's a myth. You won't lose your gut by doing sit ups. In men fat is stored primarily around the middle so if you want to lose the gut the only thing you have to do is lose the weight. It'll take the longest time but will work if your persistent. If you like do the sit ups anyway they still burn calories.

8) VERY IMPORTANT: Get enough sleep!!! This is vital. It allows your body to rebuild muscle and recover from workouts faster. You also burn more calories while you sleep than while you watch tv.

9) Hold yourself accountable. What I mean is don't set unrealistic goals for yourself but don't let yourself slip up either. Find someone to hold you accountable to exercising daily, 5 times a week, 3 times a week, whatever works for you.

10) Do cardio everyday. Weight training should be done on alternate days but cardio can be done everyday. Abs can also be trained everyday (yes with weights). Also, training in the morning will help boost your metabolism throughout the day. If possible workout in the morning about 1-2 hours after you have breakfast. Workout vigorously and get your heart rate up. This will kick start your metabolism into high gear at the very start of the day.

Good luck. Maybe to hold yourself accountable you should post a blog (sort of) here in the forum and keep us updated as to your goals. Another thing you might find interesting is taking a pic of yourself everyday w/o a shirt. Do it in the mirror and after awhile (maybe couple of months) you can look back at the pics and you will be able to see how you changed and lost the weight. The change will be gradual so don't expect much every week but it will be there. I saw a guy on youtube that did that once. I couldn't find that video but I found another one that illustrates what I am talking about.

Here:
Weight Loss - 70 lbs in 6 months before and after

This guy lost 70 pounds in 6 months. If you take those pics like I said then maybe you could post a vid like that. You don't have to take them everyday but maybe once a week when you weigh yourself. It would be a good sense of accomplishment once you get to the end of your goal.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Cudos to you for trying to make a healthy change! There is a lot of advice here BIB. You have to figure out which applies to you!

Thank you i am listening to all

As others have said, I would definitely start with a visit to the doctors office. Sounds like you have a lot of risk factors.

Yes but my doctors are aware and want me to drop i mean get healthy

A lot of it is using a common sense approach. Water, no soda. I used to drink 4-5 a day and just decided to quit. It was tough but now when I do have one (which is maybe once a week) I can't even drink the whole thing, it just doesn't taste like it used to! I also drink more juices and milk now. I have a 44oz. Styrofoam cup in my pkg car and I sip ice water all day long, even in the winter.

I am drinking lots water, and one diet Pepsi a day. i would like milk or juice but thought calories were heavy.?

Also, try smaller portions. The 6 smaller meals idea is a good one. I know other people have tried that with good results. It adds just enough food to your body so your metabolism keeps burning calories. If you starve yourself, your body goes into survival mode and quits burning calories.

I did not know starving myself wasn't burning calories, i seriously thought about vomiting my meals up lol sounds dumb and is but i need to drop weight i Will not do this i promise i eat throughout the day and count all calories i am doing 1500 - 1800 a day

Also, maybe try whole grain bread. I like Bunny whole grain white. It has 3 grams fiber which is more than most wheat breads. If you do have to eat fast food, grab the salad instead of fries. And if you're like me and don't like paying for a combo meal and getting water, get unsweetened ice tea.

i switched to wheat bread light today 2 slices 70 calories and i actually thought it tasted very good.

As far as exercise, sounds like you are on the right track. I do the spin class at my gym. It's a great cardio exercise and it actually helps my aching knees (along with glucosamine and fish oil)! Again, this is something to talk to your doctor about!

I am enjoying the 60 min 3 mile fast walk on treadmill and will start to try to go to 5 miles

Don't weigh yourself everyday. Just once or twice a week and do it in the morning. I guess metabolism burns fat while you sleep because I weigh 1-1.5 pounds less in the morning than I did the night before!

I am guilty of weighing everyday and getting discouraging others have advised against daily weighing also

I'm not a doctor and no I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but these are just a few things that I do to try to stay in a little better shape.

Thank you for your input

And one other benefit of getting in better shape-my wife says I look better now than I did when I was 20. I am 43, 5'11", and 188# and have been going to the gym for 2 years now. Needless to say, our one on one work out sessions are better than ever!:sweating::devil3::love:

wifey will like that

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Thanks so much and i will keep posted i am amazed at the response and feel i have people pushing for me helps mentally to know that.

backinbrown

respect my authority
My 10 tips to losing weight:

1) Stop smoking (u already know this though)

My next step

2) Don't weigh yourself daily since your weight will fluctuate. Its usually lowest in the morning. Weigh yourself about 1-2 hours after lunch in the afternoon maybe once a week.

Getting that advice from others also

3) Eat breakfast everyday. It gets your metabolism going.

I eat 300 calorie breakfast everday so im glad it helps

4) Don't be concerned with weight so much. It'll come off but if your doing strength training (as has already been mentioned) then it won't seem like your losing weight. Instead check inches around your waist. If your losing inches but not losing weight your probably putting on muscle.

Good to know

5) Don't eat within 2-3 hours of bedtime. When you do your body stores the extra calories (ie: fat)

I often fail here having carrots or salad or even 10oz peice of Haddock wich is a fish someone asked me earlier what haddock was so i put it here,
i tell myself low calories i even leave room in my calorie intake for the day for after 7 snacks. i am seeing from advice here on B/C i need to stop this but it is hard i am hungry.

6) Workout more (if possible). Longer times, more weight, varied exercises.

i am increasing with every other visit

7) If you want to lose the gut don't worry about exercising it. That's a myth. You won't lose your gut by doing sit ups. In men fat is stored primarily around the middle so if you want to lose the gut the only thing you have to do is lose the weight. It'll take the longest time but will work if your persistent. If you like do the sit ups anyway they still burn calories.

Not a sit up fan look stupid doing them at my size thats what i'm worried about it will take a long time.

8) VERY IMPORTANT: Get enough sleep!!! This is vital. It allows your body to rebuild muscle and recover from workouts faster. You also burn more calories while you sleep than while you watch tv.

I have poor sleep habit look i am here now 12:15 but i am off on short term disability now so bored and hard to sleep.

9) Hold yourself accountable. What I mean is don't set unrealistic goals for yourself but don't let yourself slip up either. Find someone to hold you accountable to exercising daily, 5 times a week, 3 times a week, whatever works for you.

I am trying hard to make an effort to go and stick to it so far so good the more i go the more i look forward to it.

10) Do cardio everyday. Weight training should be done on alternate days but cardio can be done everyday. Abs can also be trained everyday (yes with weights). Also, training in the morning will help boost your metabolism throughout the day. If possible workout in the morning about 1-2 hours after you have breakfast. Workout vigorously and get your heart rate up. This will kick start your metabolism into high gear at the very start of the day.

I get my cardio on and my heart rate is running in the endurance training portion of chart.

Good luck. Maybe to hold yourself accountable you should post a blog (sort of) here in the forum and keep us updated as to your goals. Another thing you might find interesting is taking a pic of yourself everyday w/o a shirt. Do it in the mirror and after awhile (maybe couple of months) you can look back at the pics and you will be able to see how you changed and lost the weight. The change will be gradual so don't expect much every week but it will be there. I saw a guy on youtube that did that once. I couldn't find that video but I found another one that illustrates what I am talking about.

Picture idea is good and so is the blog kinda have a reason to stick to it if i am telling others of my venture and they give advice and motivation, i really like steves, STUGS blog and have wanted to start one since i have been following his.

Thank you for your advice

Here:
Weight Loss - 70 lbs in 6 months before and after

This guy lost 70 pounds in 6 months. If you take those pics like I said then maybe you could post a vid like that. You don't have to take them everyday but maybe once a week when you weigh yourself. It would be a good sense of accomplishment once you get to the end of your goal.

P

pickup

just was looking at who are going to be the guests this week on my favorite radio show coast to coast am heard on xm165 1-5am east coast time and then repeated from 5 to 9am. Also heard on numerous stations throughout country. Anyway the tuesday show which is weds morn here is about weight loss and heart health. Two guests will be on the show. One of the guests has his own website and quite a few videos on u-tube. Here is one of them.

www.coasttocoastam.com is the website associated with the radio show

disclaimer: I know nothing about this guy, looks like the head was photoshopped onto the last body and clearly he has something to sell(who doesn't) . I'll try to give him a listen to on wed morn

Last edited by a moderator:

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
8 Years ago I was smoking 2 and a 1/2 packs a day. I almost always had a cigarette pinched in the dashboard of my package car (you smokers should know what I mean :wink2:). I quit by using the nicotine inhalers for two weeks combined with Zyban. After that I would always have a bag of pretzels with me or Lifesavers. If you quit don't ever have "just one", not even at a bar. I will warn you will dream about smoking. You might become depressed. But I promise you it does get easier every day. Now, unless someone brings it up, I don't even think about smoking anymore. Just remember though to respect the addiction, nicotine is evil. Because, even to this day, I could go back to smoking in a minute. I just don't. Ok, I don't want to talk about smoking anymore :sick:.

Ok, all better now :happy2:.

As for losing weight, I gained a lot of it when I quit smoking. I lost it by doing Atkins. But I warn you, if you don't follow it seriously it will not work. But if you do, nothing I have tried before makes you lose weight faster. The ultimate downside is that it is hard to maintain this diet over the long haul. Eating lots of steak and cheeseburgers (without the bun!) sounds awesome if you are a true carnivore, but since we are not, it can get monotonous real fast.

UPSNewbie

Wow. This is all good stuff in here. I'll just be repeating, pretty much.

I smoked for a year. I quit and gained about 15 pounds. I had been trying to loose weight while smoking, then I gained more. It put me off, but when summer rolled around (about two months later) it came off so much quicker.

During the summer, I do drum corps (been thinking about sharing my hobby in Life After Brown. Stay tuned.) I start end of may to middle of August, rehearsing from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. every day. Which is why it came off so fast doing stuff like this:
Phantom Regiment Finals Day 2007
(I play one of the big huge tubas that sits on the shoulder.)

Take a nice long stretch. Though I do believe you're still snowy up there, once that clears, take a few miles to walk. If you have a dog, bring 'em. I have two. They make the time fly. After a while, if your injury allows, try running. Don't start off with a mile. Try one block running one walking, and try to keep repeating to build yourself up. You may think you'd look goofy doing that, but it certainly helped me when I first started it. I love to run my dogs just before sunrise while all the other dogs are asleep and no traffic. Very peaceful.

To start the day, I have a nice breakfast. Like others have said, eat 5-6 smaller portioned meals a day. Say two yogurts would be good for one (if you're allowing yourself that).

Saturated fats = stay away like it's the plague. Omega 3's like fish, nuts, and olive oil, as drewed said are definitely good. Cut down on meat.

I'm sure you get the idea now...

Good luck to you. It'll take time. I'm having to go through it again because of my four month ankle sprain.

*edit*
I have tons more money after quiting smoking. You could get a dog to run with once you're able to quit. :greedy:

UnloaderAM

I often fail here having carrots or salad or even 10oz peice of Haddock wich is a fish someone asked me earlier what haddock was so i put it here,
i tell myself low calories i even leave room in my calorie intake for the day for after 7 snacks. i am seeing from advice here on B/C i need to stop this but it is hard i am hungry.

Think of your stomach as a muscle. You have to train it too. Besides if you make it a point to go to sleep about 2 hours after your last meal or snack you won't be as hungry and it will help you to sleep better.

I have poor sleep habit look i am here now 12:15 but i am off on short term disability now so bored and hard to sleep.

Sleep is part of training though. Remember that. More sleep, more rest, more recovery, more energy, more motivation, positive attitude. All benefits of sleep.

I get my cardio on and my heart rate is running in the endurance training portion of chart.

Thats good. Do you do it in the morning? I don't know if you don't but maybe you should give it a shot. It'll get that heart rate running faster all day long.

Again. Good luck. I hope you achieve your goals.

wannabeups

Isn't prednisone a steriod? It seems to me the doctor prescribed it for me after I got bit by a spider. Man talk about an increase in your appetitie.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Isn't prednisone a steriod? It seems to me the doctor prescribed it for me after I got bit by a spider. Man talk about an increase in your appetitie.

Yes it is a steroid but i don't think it is of the muscle building steroids at least thats what doctor told me, Plus the actual weight gain i have put on 50lbs of fat no muscle

Really not a good medicine helps my R A but damn smokey putting on 50 plus pounds is rediculous, and it makes it even harder to lose weight not impossible they tell me but very hard.

kingOFchester

Hay gang. I am back on the diet wagon. I have used the book The Abs Diet b4, and it worked like a charm. Today I got the book and willbe starting my diet on Feb 24th. I have also signed up for fitday.com. It is a great site to track your weight and calculate calories, protein, carbs and fat intake on a daily basis. I am looking for a 1/3 1/3 1/3, for the protein carbs and fat mix. I will be posting a link soon to my fitday journal where you can follow my progress and help keep me motivated.

We all can loose the weight. Just hang in there, and we will get there. We made it this far thru UPS!!

backinbrown

respect my authority
Hay gang. I am back on the diet wagon. I have used the book The Abs Diet b4, and it worked like a charm. Today I got the book and willbe starting my diet on Feb 24th. I have also signed up for fitday. It is a great site to track your weight and calculate calories, protein, carbs and fat intake on a daily basis. I am looking for a 1/3 1/3 1/3, for the protein carbs and fat mix. I will be posting a link soon to my fitday journal where you can follow my progress and help keep me motivated.

We all can loose the weight. Just hang in there, and we will get there. We made it this far thru UPS!!

I use sparks people does same thing i like it good luck to you

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Diet that works for me. I have been on this for 2 years since I was roughly 20-30 pounds overweight for at least several months. Not surprising it was while working an inside job easier than feeders have it and getting lazy habits. lol The only time in my life I have been oveweight and felt slow. I was 173 pounds March 2008, and after 6-7 months roughly October 1st I was 146. Been 145-150 since. So this plan definitly works!

Multivitamin every day breakfast
Ensure drink every day breakfast
coffee

15-30 minutes cardio (assorted) Jumping jacks, jogging, exercise bike, sprints
Also 15-30 minutes stretching before-after

bread: every day

always 2+ g of fiber per slice, 3+ if possible
whole wheat and grains, never white

Fruits :almost always before /during work early!
apple, banana everyday 7 days
OJ every day
other juices such as cranberry sporadically

typical Nuts/carbs/snacks:
peanuts every other day (handful)
crackers with humus (underappreciate-unknown to most men?)

Vegtables:
v8 every day
salad usually every day or other day w/ assorted vegetables
carrots 2-3 times a week
baked potato 2 times a week

Fish - any types, grilled, or sometimes canned tuna- 2-3 times a week

Meats- puoltry - grilled chicken or turkey (not fried!) 3+ times a week
any other - 3 times a week, mostly turkey sandwiches or roast
beef or ham. Fattier meats roughly once or twice a week.

Candy -Chocolate- comfort foods - ice cream - etc etc

3-6 a month, and I try to limit to one serving a week or **very small servings twice a week

I don't believe 90% of anyone needs to spend money at weight watchers or a gym with a good attitude and discpline (and of course reasonable money to spend to eat well)....it does take hard workto diy, absolutely.

Last edited:

UPSNewbie

Diet that works for me. I have been on this for 2 years since I was roughly 20-30 pounds overweight for at least several months. Not surprising it was while working an inside job easier than feeders have it and getting lazy habits. lol The only time in my life I have been oveweight and felt slow. I was 173 pounds March 2008, and after 6-7 months roughly October 1st I was 146. Been 145-150 since. So this plan definitly works!

Multivitamin every day breakfast
Ensure drink every day breakfast
coffee

15-30 minutes cardio (assorted) Jumping jacks, jogging, exercise bike, sprints
Also 15-30 minutes stretching before-after

bread: every day

always 2+ g of fiber per slice, 3+ if possible
whole wheat and grains, never white

Fruits :almost always before /during work early!
apple, banana everyday 7 days
OJ every day
other juices such as cranberry sporadically

typical Nuts/carbs/snacks:
peanuts every other day (handful)
crackers with humus (underappreciate-unknown to most men?)

Vegtables:
v8 every day
salad usually every day or other day w/ assorted vegetables
carrots 2-3 times a week
baked potato 2 times a week

Fish - any types, grilled, or sometimes canned tuna- 2-3 times a week

Meats- puoltry - grilled chicken or turkey (not fried!) 3+ times a week
any other - 3 times a week, mostly turkey sandwiches or roast
beef or ham. Fattier meats roughly once or twice a week.

Candy -Chocolate- comfort foods - ice cream - etc etc

3-6 a month, and I try to limit to one serving a week or **very small servings twice a week

I don't believe 90% of anyone needs to spend money at weight watchers or a gym with a good attitude and discpline (and of course reasonable money to spend to eat well)....it does take hard workto diy, absolutely.

I used to work in a Mediterranean restaurant. I love the crap out of hummus.

Sammie

OK i have been out on STD for six months now due to motorcycle accident.
and i have put on extra weight.

I am 42 5' 7" and weigh 230 pounds i am UPS grunt "deliver pkgs"

any advice food wise or exercise wise, or whatever i really am looking for some help and am finding myself getting frustrated over not loosing weight and trying so hard.

looking for good advice to live longer and maybe not be so frustrated and just give up.

Thank you

Backinbrown,

About 8 years ago hubby and I were starting a 2 week vaca but
were just going to hang out at home. I talked to a neighbor about a
product she sold; Herbalife. Between me sitting at a desk all day and hubby in feeders in a truck all day, we weren't happy with the 'secretary spread' and 'truck spread' if you will. I needed to drop about 25 lbs and hubby doesn't have a weight problem per se but wanted to feel better.

We bought the Herbalife and were amazed in just those first two weeks. It's a combination of a ton of vitamins and minerals; a soy protein shake and 2 tablets breakfast and lunch. By dinner, a regular meal, you don't want to eat the whole house, which is what we thought would happen. Dropped 2-3 lbs a week. It does not affect any meds you take. After 2 months I had to buy new duds. He no longer fought fatigue and feeling sleepy behind the wheel. You will become the Energizer Bunny. The folks in my office noticed. I became a distributor not for the money but for the discount. One of my co worker's husband used it and lost 100 lbs. He's a minister and used to nap a lot during the day. No more naps, which he actually missed because he got so used to them. Another co worker lost 50 lbs.

I put a logo on my car in the parking lot and started getting calls from
drivers, hub rats, everybody. Not one complaint or return. One hub sup's wife lost all the weight from 3 babies in no time. You feel full, you don't want to nibble between meals and the energy level is something you haven't had since you were a kid.

I'm not selling any more, mind you. Between working full time, caring for my mom, raising a grand child and delivering this stuff all over town, just couldn't swing it all. Every year or so we order a starter kit and get rid
of the pounds that creep up. Just wanted to share with you that this stuff kicks butt. And the peach tea is delish.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Backinbrown,

About 8 years ago hubby and I were starting a 2 week vaca but
were just going to hang out at home. I talked to a neighbor about a
product she sold; Herbalife. Between me sitting at a desk all day and hubby in feeders in a truck all day, we weren't happy with the 'secretary spread' and 'truck spread' if you will. I needed to drop about 25 lbs and hubby doesn't have a weight problem per se but wanted to feel better.

We bought the Herbalife and were amazed in just those first two weeks. It's a combination of a ton of vitamins and minerals; a soy protein shake and 2 tablets breakfast and lunch. By dinner, a regular meal, you don't want to eat the whole house, which is what we thought would happen. Dropped 2-3 lbs a week. It does not affect any meds you take. After 2 months I had to buy new duds. He no longer fought fatigue and feeling sleepy behind the wheel. You will become the Energizer Bunny. The folks in my office noticed. I became a distributor not for the money but for the discount. One of my co worker's husband used it and lost 100 lbs. He's a minister and used to nap a lot during the day. No more naps, which he actually missed because he got so used to them. Another co worker lost 50 lbs.

I put a logo on my car in the parking lot and started getting calls from
drivers, hub rats, everybody. Not one complaint or return. One hub sup's wife lost all the weight from 3 babies in no time. You feel full, you don't want to nibble between meals and the energy level is something you haven't had since you were a kid.

I'm not selling any more, mind you. Between working full time, caring for my mom, raising a grand child and delivering this stuff all over town, just couldn't swing it all. Every year or so we order a starter kit and get rid
of the pounds that creep up. Just wanted to share with you that this stuff kicks butt. And the peach tea is delish.

I will read up on this thank you for your story

how much $ was it?