Helper Union Dues

BigSlim

I got hired the day before Thanksgiving (orientation) and worked 9 hours on Black Friday as a driver helper. $10.10 an hour here. After my first check came I saw that union dues of $25 was deducted. By chance I ran into the lady from HR yesterday and asked her if that was a weekly thing, one time, monthly or what and she didn't know.

So after the taxes and dues my take home was $80.35 for 11.5 hours of work. I don't think this job was meant to be a living wage, no one is forcing me to work, and I knew what I was getting in to, so I'm not really complaining. It's seasonal work and I'd be home watching television otherwise until the spring semester starts in January.

On the bright side I've lost 7 lbs. in a week and a half and my driver buys me lunch everyday. So I suppose those are the perks.

reginald95

Always thought it was a scam that they take union dues from temp workers. Poor chumps make crap money and then they get robbed by the union.

rod

Retired 22 years
on By chance I ran into the lady from HR yesterday and asked her if that was a weekly thing, one time, monthly or what and she didn't know. Quote]

Even though dues and initiation fees are not the concern of the company (other than collecting them) it still amazes me some one in HR couldn't give an answer to such a basic question like that. I'm sure everyone in HR must be asked that question a hundred times every peak. Sounds like some retraining in the HR department is in order. Then again I imagine they avoid at all cost revealing the correct answer because they are embarrassed to tell someone just how little their checks will actually be after all taxes, dues and initiation fees are with held.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm cool with it. Gives me more time to visualize clerkgirl
image.jpeg