Helper Woes

gingerkat

In the Central States, all driver helpers earn $12.88, including incumbent PTers. incumbent employees, or in areas such as yours, do incumbent employees earn their regular inside wage?
"Insiders" definitely get paid a different rate and are shuffled off to discuss that during the orientation. If they had to get paid $8.50 hr to go back on the clock after a hard morning, no one would do it.

JakeD

The driver cannot put anything in to the DIAD----he would have to ask the PDS to put a note in C-Pad to flag that stop as signature only----but he won't because getting a signature, unless requested by the shipper, is a pain in the butt.

To the helpers----if a customer does complain or say something snarky, simply hand them the package, tell them to have a nice day and walk back to the pkg car. You are not being paid enough to deal with idiots.

ahh. i wasn't sure if it would be an easy thing to give them a 1 week lesson or something and then remove it. apparently not. ah well

yep.. even if they start talking i'm usually walking and saying bye.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
"Insiders" definitely get paid a different rate and are shuffled off to discuss that during the orientation. If they had to get paid $8.50 hr to go back on the clock after a hard morning, no one would do it.

:)

UPS prefers "insiders" not work as driver helpers, unless it's desperate. Wouldn't surprise me if UPS tries to cap their hours... makes no sense to pay a helper $30/hour when seasonal drivers are half that cost.

gingerkat

They do "cap" those helpers. When we took work off of someone else, the helper said "man, I just can't seem to get the hours in". I felt kind of bad and wanted to give him my shift and trade with my driver, but my driver said "NO"!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
They do "cap" those helpers. When we took work off of someone else, the helper said "man, I just can't seem to get the hours in". I felt kind of bad and wanted to give him my shift and trade with my driver, but my driver said "NO"!

Trust me, I've been in his shoes. But freezing temperatures, high winds and lots of snow/ice around here = inability to find seasonal helpers. Thus, I'm doing well for myself this year. In fact, they call me everyday after we've finished, asking if I'd like to help another driver for two hours or so. Far cry from a few years ago when they wouldn't dispatch insiders on a route that'd give them more than 9-10 hours (combined), and fire them if they'd go over 12.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My helper is a preloader and has been an asset thus far. He takes his 1/2 hour lunch after his preload shift before meeting me on road. I normally try to bring him back to his car but if we are light I bring him back to his house, which is on area, and his father brings him to his car. The kid picked up the DIAD really quickly and I have no problem setting him loose in a medical office complex with multiple delivery points. He even figured out how to use Find BC all on his own. We started early last Monday and will again this Monday so he will be unable to help me but I have been told that I will have him for the rest of Peak. We have been averaging an hour under every day with zero complaints/concerns/follow ups. He is starting to get tired of working all of these hours so the break on Monday will do him good.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Trust me, I've been in his shoes. But freezing temperatures, high winds and lots of snow/ice around here = inability to find seasonal helpers. Thus, I'm doing well for myself this year. In fact, they call me everyday after we've finished, asking if I'd like to help another driver for two hours or so. Far cry from a few years ago when they wouldn't dispatch insiders on a route that'd give them more than 9-10 hours (combined), and fire them if they'd go over 12.

How can they fire a helper for going over 12 when he is not the one driving the pkg car?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
How can they fire a helper for going over 12 when he is not the one driving the pkg car?

Not working as directed. We had to sign a sheet that indicated we would not work more than 9-hours to 10.5 hours combined if helping (soft cap ... could not be dispatched beyond 9, could not receive extensions beyond 10.5) with a hard cap of 12. Warnings were generally issued beyond 11.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Helpers? Do you guys still have those in Package Car? Wow. We don't have them in feeders. Although I could use one.

JakeD

I don't remember ever seeing a cap on daily hours. management sends a thing that says "keep helper x hours" we laugh at it.. he keeps me all day. longest this year so far has been 8.25 but next week will probably have a longer day than that. if they complain he extends his ETA by like 2 hrs and they give in.

gingerkat

Helpers? Do you guys still have those in Package Car? Wow. We don't have them in feeders. Although I could use one.
What, don't you have a helper to hold your soda's or help you steer?:wink-very:

I remember as a kid (way back when) helping my dad steer the truck while he opened his beer and lit his ciggy. I know, great parenting, but living in the sticks on your own property is a whole nother situation...

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
What, don't you have a helper to hold your soda's or help you steer?:wink-very:

I remember as a kid (way back when) helping my dad steer the truck while he opened his beer and lit his ciggy. I know, great parenting, but living in the sticks on your own property is a whole nother situation...

I never thought about that. I could get a helper to open my beer, I could start smoking again, and have that same helper help me light the damn thing. Feeders just keeps getting better and better...