Helper Woes

gingerkat

I was turning in my DVIR and COD envelope the other night and I overheard another driver telling one of my sups that his helper that day was a 63 year old man that could barely walk and the day before that his helper was 300+lbs... I just busted out laughing. Where do they find these people? I know in my state they can't discriminate but the job does have certain physical requirements.
What do you expect for minimum wage? They don't exactly tell you how physical the job is...

BeachBoy

What do you expect for minimum wage? They don't exactly tell you how physical the job is...

This is my second year working as a helper. During orientation they asked those who have done it before to give input to the new applicants.
I was honest, I said that at least a third of the people in the class would quit in the first few days, because if they did a halfway decent job, they'd have to bust their ass, and quite a few didn't look physically up to it.
Our area pays pretty well, $12.88/hr, but a good worker earns it. My driver and I finish up each 10-12 hour day with around 40 stops per hour. I'm there to make his peak easier, and I do, he rarely has to get out of the package car.

gingerkat

This is my second year working as a helper. During orientation they asked those who have done it before to give input to the new applicants.
I was honest, I said that at least a third of the people in the class would quit in the first few days, because if they did a halfway decent job, they'd have to bust their ass, and quite a few didn't look physically up to it.
Our area pays pretty well, $12.88/hr, but a good worker earns it. My driver and I finish up each 10-12 hour day with around 40 stops per hour. I'm there to make his peak easier, and I do, he rarely has to get out of the package car.
If he really rarely gets out of the pc, sounds like he isn't doing his job. Why would anyone want to sit in the pc all day long? Apparently your driver has no family and wants to watch you walk at a brisk pace all day.

I also think it's a little odd that you think getting paid $12.88 per hour while he gets paid a hella lot more is a good deal. Something is off, way off with your post. Are you telling stories little one?

gingerkat

^^
Let me just clarify something here. I'm just comparing this post (or what I think the route is like) compared to ours. In a huge city with mostly mega apartment complexes, it's almost impossible for a "helper" to do the running alone.

BeachBoy

No apartment complexes here, just your typical suburban neighborhoods. I probably put in close to 15 miles a day, although I haven't really crunched the numbers.
My driver stages everything while I'm running the packages. It works. I don't begrudge him not busting his ass, I'm hired for peak to help him get the job done. I do what I'm paid to do, it's called a work ethic.
Also, if you call me little one, you had best be referring to my status in UPS.

gingerkat

No apartment complexes here, just your typical suburban neighborhoods. I probably put in close to 15 miles a day, although I haven't really crunched the numbers.
My driver stages everything while I'm running the packages. It works. I don't begrudge him not busting his ass, I'm hired for peak to help him get the job done. I do what I'm paid to do, it's called a work ethic.
Also, if you call me little one, you had best be referring to my status in UPS.
Work ethic? Really? Working hard is one thing, but I'm not sure I would call it "work ethic". I think it's awesome that you're busting you're hump to do everything to help him, but that is what everyone should do every single day. If every person did that, we wouldn't have an issue with things never getting done.

The story makes a little more sense if it's an rural route where there is a lot of driving from point A to B, but other than that, I'm not sure. I called you little one because of your over-zealous nature, and that made me think you were very young.

JakeD

lol you do not walk 15mi per day... driveways are like 50' total. if you did 200 stops that is still only 2mi

we had a pretty casual day today. calm before the mon-tues storm of packages that is coming.

Shadow81

First time poster. I've had the same driver for the past three weeks now, before that I was with this one guy for a day and today he was back again because the regular driver had to do something else. The guy is a complete social :censored2: who spends most of his day on his cell phone while driving (not hands free either) and texting. Before I even got on the truck today the first thing he told me was he had a lot of :censored2: to do tonight and wanted to be back at the depot by 6:30. I started at 11:30 and have been finishing around 9-10pm with my regular driver. This guy said if I didn't run every package he would leave me right where I was and wouldn't care how I got back to my car. He also forced me to take an hour lunch even though I only worked five hours with him today. He said he didn't need me to help with pickups. He dropped me off at some dive and told me go eat and he would be back. When he returned he said get on the :censored2:ing truck we have 40 more stops and 6:30 was quickly approaching. I told him I was tired of his crap and he needed to drive me back to my car ASAP. He said he makes 32.00 and can treat me anyway he wants and to get the :censored2: off his truck. I refused and said he would have to physically remove me from the truck or drive me back and also warned him if he put one hand on me he would regret it. He got all pissy and called his supervisor who wanted to talk to me, when I explained what was going on all day he assured me my driver would be back on Monday and to just deal with it. I'm not sure if I am going to get a call on Monday telling me I'm done and to turn in my uniform but this is the second year I have done this and have NEVER had a problem with anyone and always did my job great.

Sorry for the long post just had to rant.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
First time poster. I've had the same driver for the past three weeks now, before that I was with this one guy for a day and today he was back again because the regular driver had to do something else. The guy is a complete social :censored2: who spends most of his day on his cell phone while driving (not hands free either) and texting. Before I even got on the truck today the first thing he told me was he had a lot of :censored2: to do tonight and wanted to be back at the depot by 6:30. I started at 11:30 and have been finishing around 9-10pm with my regular driver. This guy said if I didn't run every package he would leave me right where I was and wouldn't care how I got back to my car. He also forced me to take an hour lunch even though I only worked five hours with him today. He said he didn't need me to help with pickups. He dropped me off at some dive and told me go eat and he would be back. When he returned he said get on the :censored2:ing truck we have 40 more stops and 6:30 was quickly approaching. I told him I was tired of his crap and he needed to drive me back to my car ASAP. He said he makes 32.00 and can treat me anyway he wants and to get the :censored2: off his truck. I refused and said he would have to physically remove me from the truck or drive me back and also warned him if he put one hand on me he would regret it. He got all pissy and called his supervisor who wanted to talk to me, when I explained what was going on all day he assured me my driver would be back on Monday and to just deal with it. I'm not sure if I am going to get a call on Monday telling me I'm done and to turn in my uniform but this is the second year I have done this and have NEVER had a problem with anyone and always did my job great.

Apply at wall mart.

JakeD

you shoulda taken some video with your phone and posted it on youtube :) along with his truck #

and then applied to walmart.. they will give you more hours and it will be warm inside.

seriously.. they need you more than you need them. If you are a good helper that hustles then you are a commodity for the next week. if you don't get the other driver monday, don't get on the car.

Shadow81

Walmart isn't an option. I do fairly well for myself but Nov-Dec is dead and I get stir crazy if I'm not doing anything so I just do this during the holiday. It's not even about the money but this :censored2: is in such a hurry he starts moving the truck before I even sit down and have a chance to buckle up. Half the time when he does talk he's bitching me out telling me to just hold onto the handle bar tight instead of using the seat belt to cut down on time. The only amusing part of the day with him was the constant calls he was making to different girls saying how much he loved them etc. I was so pissed today and anxious I wanted to throw myself out of the truck and blame it on him for bitching me out about cutting down on time by not wearing the seat belt. If my regular driver isn't there Monday this guy is on his own. Let him bust his ass the way I did for him today and earn his 32.00

MassWineGuy

Shadow, there definitely are a fair number of UPS drivers who are almost completely lack any hint of how to get along with or treat other people. I think it's fantastic that you stood up to your jerk sub. driver. I would not have had the patience or tolerance not to hit the guy. The two seasons I worked as a helper my drivers told me I was one of the best they'd ever seen and that I really helped them out. I just went all out and had a sense of urgency in my deliveries. Lousy pay, yes; but I got a strong sense of personal pride knowing I had done well.

All this week I rode with a social Neandethal who barely ever spoke and seems to resent having a helper, even if it means he goes home two hours earlier than if he worked solo. At lunch he parks the truck and for the next hour sends Tweets and fiddles with his cell phone. Doesn't speak a word.

I agree with Jake. I also think you should go to the center and speak face to face with the driver's sup. Chances are good that he or she already knows this driver is a total nightmare.

PT Car Washer

Sounds more like a few PT sups I have had. You do have some legitimate concerns but nothing will become of them because in another week you will be gone. Still no reason to treat you like that.

Shadow81

Thanks Mass. Sorry you got stuck with a social :censored2: yourself. The only thing that worries me is the fact he's been there almost ten years and even though he reached for my belt when I told him he would have to physically remove me from the truck he has the goods on me that I threatened him by saying if he put one hand on me he would regret it. I enjoy doing this because the people are great and the Christmas payouts are awesome in the neighborhoods we deliver to. Last year I got over 600.00 in cash and three bottles of really expensive alcohol. It's just in the two years I've done this I've never met such a jerk. I have my same driver from last year who requested me back because I did so well and even when I did have a sub one or two days out of the year we got along great. If he's there on Monday I keep telling myself I'm not going to get on the truck, but another part wants to just so when he :censored2:s up Orion and asks for my help I can just ignore him and tell him to call his supervisor.

gingerkat

Shadow, it's a tough job for both parties involved. Helpers get hardly any training from management and HR seems to think the driver should train them. Drivers are pushed to limits in order to get a zillion boxes out within a set amount of hours per week and train someone that has never done this before. It really seems like a lose-lose situation for everyone involved. With that being said, I do not believe it is okay to treat another human being like s hit, especially someone that is only trying to learn and help.

Management should be blamed for hiring people that don't fit the physical qualifications of the job. They hire anyone and I mean anyone! I know how frustrating it is when you're trying to please them and understand wtf they're talking about all at the same time. Drivers have been doing this for a while and forget that non UPSers don't know the lingo or really what this whole process entails.

I hope you're able to get paired with someone that has a little more patience. Once you find that groove, it can be a interesting & enjoyable experience.

Shadow81

Ginger the past two years doing this have been very enjoyable. It's just today this guy acted like he was above me and I was mainly there to be his bitch. I'm not fat but slightly overweight but I do hustle and move very fast. It just seems like I was on his schedule because he wanted to be done at 6:30 and forced me to take an hour lunch because he didn't want me on his pickups. My regular driver and I only take a half hour during the season because of our load and allows me to go on all our pickups with him. He also wants my belt on all the time which I have always done. Today was just so bad that again I felt like throwing myself out of the truck and putting the blame on him because he got pissed when I put on my belt telling me in costs him time.

I also forgot to add that I don't need any training. When he stops off sometimes to grab a coffee or use the bathroom I'm in the back sorting packages getting them all ready for our next stops. I'm also really quick with the DIAD to the point he needs to tell me to stop scanning because he needs to get so many boxes scanned on his own board.