Helper Woes

gingerkat

I get it, really I do. I've only done this two years in a row, but worked with four drivers now and every one was different. The guys that covered the routes were much better about safety vs the guy that is three years from retirement.

This year I'm not afraid and understand how the system works, so it's a different game for me. Plus the driver I have is someone that begged me to be his helper this year. The bad thing is, he is also a little on the unsafe side. I tell him every single day "I will not be unsafe for UPS or you, for any amount of money". My life and limbs are worth everything.

I didn't mean anything about weight or anything physical really, just that UPS really doesn't discriminate! If anything I never thought I could do the job as I'm a small woman.

Hopefully that :censored2: will be lucky enough to not get a helper. Apparently he can work without one, so why bother?

Good luck!

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
I worked as a driver helper for a few years. I've had some good drivers, some great drivers, and some horrible drivers. Just like everything else in life. People are people, and the job can be hard at times (Driving a Package Car). Yea, I know everyone thinks it's a mindless easy job, but it's physical labor and you have to deal with traffic and customer crap. It can be challenging.

The reason I work at UPS part time is to stay in shape. Plain and simple. I do very well outside of UPS, but they pay me to work out. That's my mindset, and I'm sticking with it. Plus, I happen to really like my Supe.

So a few years ago I decided to do the Driver Helper, as I could get away from my Day job for a few days a week during December.

First guy I had as a Driver was a Klingon. He was lacking any social grace at all. He dropped the friend-Bomb more than an L.A. Rapper, and needed a bath more than my old Beagle. He did nothing but scream at me all day to run faster. I'm in great shape, but when you have ice and snow everywhere, a broken leg is not worth the risk. H

I had a few more that hard to work with, and a few that were fine to work with.
One in particular was a great guy. Except he expected me to operate a DIAD at a 2 year full time Driver level when I only useed a DIAD while I was Driver Helping and just barely knew the minimums. He expected me to be as proficient with it as if I'd used it daily for two years and the training you get is absolute bare minimum. I had not seen one in a year, so other than knowing how to scan, down arrow, f5, front door, and stop complete, I knew NOTHING else. If I got into a jam, he was livid.
And, the worst thing, he would leave me in an icy, snowy neighborhood with a handcart piled high with packages, and take off for a few hours. One route, I had to walk 2.9 miles before I was done. I know this because I have a fitness tracking app on my phone. 2.9 miles with a cart full of packages in freezing temps, no water, no toilet, and 30 stops or so to do by foot. Toting a hand cart piled so high with parcels they toppled at every single bump. He'd then pick me up, and drop me off somewhere else to do the same thing. I rarely ran deliveries from the truck to the door. Heck, that would have been a relief. At least you get to sit for a few minutes and get some heat.
He is lucky I did not get hurt, mugged, run over, whatever. Once, I was stopped by Sheriff wondering what the hell I was doing walking in a "target enforcement area" neighborhood walking down the street with a cart full of packages at dusk. I told the Deputy I was a Driver Helper and the driver was off doing other things. He shook his head and said, "Now I've seen everything. You need to get another job buddy, this is not the neighborhood to be walking around with a cart full of packages at dusk." Even people at the door would say, "Where is your truck? Is UPS that stingy with expenses you guys gotta' walk now?"

One thing I did learn, I personally am glad I am not a UPS Driver. It's not for me. I respect our drivers very much. I really do. But I am so much happier with my full time career in white collar. I am sure there are easier days and routes than I experienced during holiday rush, but to me, what a Package Car Driver does is not something I'd ever be remotely interested in doing. And a Driver Helper is absolutely not for me. I'll stay part time Hub for the exercise, and do my full time career. ;)

I am glad I did it though. I now have huge respect for our Drivers, and anyone that helps them.

wayfair

swollen member
Dallas got some through and today was CRAZY, left building at 10am with 230+ stops (40/60 bus/res normal, now 20/80) 410+pieces...30 pickups that fill up from 3:15 til 5PM.... pick up helper at 11 am and can use him all day... BUT..... he wants to be off at 6PM ... had 101 del after pickup, dropped him off at 6, and finished the last 50 by my lonesome....

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I worked as a driver helper for a few years. I've had some good drivers, some great drivers, and some horrible drivers. Just like everything else in life. People are people, and the job can be hard at times (Driving a Package Car). Yea, I know everyone thinks it's a mindless easy job, but it's physical labor and you have to deal with traffic and customer crap. It can be challenging.

The reason I work at UPS part time is to stay in shape. Plain and simple. I do very well outside of UPS, but they pay me to work out. That's my mindset, and I'm sticking with it. Plus, I happen to really like my Supe.

So a few years ago I decided to do the Driver Helper, as I could get away from my Day job for a few days a week during December.

First guy I had as a Driver was a Klingon. He was lacking any social grace at all. He dropped the friend-Bomb more than an L.A. Rapper, and needed a bath more than my old Beagle. He did nothing but scream at me all day to run faster. I'm in great shape, but when you have ice and snow everywhere, a broken leg is not worth the risk. H

I had a few more that hard to work with, and a few that were fine to work with.
One in particular was a great guy. Except he expected me to operate a DIAD at a 2 year full time Driver level when I only useed a DIAD while I was Driver Helping and just barely knew the minimums. He expected me to be as proficient with it as if I'd used it daily for two years and the training you get is absolute bare minimum. I had not seen one in a year, so other than knowing how to scan, down arrow, f5, front door, and stop complete, I knew NOTHING else. If I got into a jam, he was livid.
And, the worst thing, he would leave me in an icy, snowy neighborhood with a handcart piled high with packages, and take off for a few hours. One route, I had to walk 2.9 miles before I was done. I know this because I have a fitness tracking app on my phone. 2.9 miles with a cart full of packages in freezing temps, no water, no toilet, and 30 stops or so to do by foot. Toting a hand cart piled so high with parcels they toppled at every single bump. He'd then pick me up, and drop me off somewhere else to do the same thing. I rarely ran deliveries from the truck to the door. Heck, that would have been a relief. At least you get to sit for a few minutes and get some heat.
He is lucky I did not get hurt, mugged, run over, whatever. Once, I was stopped by Sheriff wondering what the hell I was doing walking in a "target enforcement area" neighborhood walking down the street with a cart full of packages at dusk. I told the Deputy I was a Driver Helper and the driver was off doing other things. He shook his head and said, "Now I've seen everything. You need to get another job buddy, this is not the neighborhood to be walking around with a cart full of packages at dusk." Even people at the door would say, "Where is your truck? Is UPS that stingy with expenses you guys gotta' walk now?"

One thing I did learn, I personally am glad I am not a UPS Driver. It's not for me. I respect our drivers very much. I really do. But I am so much happier with my full time career in white collar. I am sure there are easier days and routes than I experienced during holiday rush, but to me, what a Package Car Driver does is not something I'd ever be remotely interested in doing. And a Driver Helper is absolutely not for me. I'll stay part time Hub for the exercise, and do my full time career. ;)

I am glad I did it though. I now have huge respect for our Drivers, and anyone that helps them.
Any driver that leaves his jumper like that is an azzzzzzhole. You work as a team thats how its supposed yo be done. Some of these drivers are a bunch of jerknutts with no compassion. They should be ashamed of themselves.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Any driver that leaves his jumper like that is an azzzzzzhole. You work as a team thats how its supposed yo be done. Some of these drivers are a bunch of jerknutts with no compassion. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Our center had talked about using our helpers in a more independent manner this year. We were going to do the same thing----drop the helper off in a residential neighborhood with 30 or so stops, a handcart and DIAD, and letting them work while we delivered elsewhere. They would call when done and we would set them up somewhere else. Thankfully they didn't follow through on this as it makes much more sense to work together as a team.

I have to admit that I find many of her allegations hard to believe. I know how frustrating this job can be but still can't believe any driver would treat their helper this poorly.

MassWineGuy

Gingerkat makes a great point. For 9.50 an hour UPS ain't a gonna find a lot of qualified people. To me this means someone who can physically handle the job, wants to do it and has the attitude and intelligence to carry though with it. In my helper orientations we got no more than 30 minutes DIAD training if that. When I trained as a seasonal driver we received a good 1 1/2 hours of practical DIAD training. Still, there are so many variables in the thing that you need to be out there using it and finding your own ways out of the black holes the DIAD can get you in. Even now, I swear that sometimes I can be doing the identical thing as the last delivery and the DIAD will do something off the wall.

If a helper shows that they can actually help, a driver ought to be very tolerant and forgiving.

RockinRobin

Thanks guys.

At first, I didn't realize I was being "Dropped Off" to work a residential neighborhood with a handcart and a DIAD. The driver just stopped, told me to get out and handed me the cart, then the packages started flowing out of the Package Car. He handed me a DIAD and told me that I'd be delivering the neighborhood and to call him when I was done. I had to ask where the heck I was going, where to turn, etc. He said just follow the DIAD and look at the street signs, and he was gone. So, I just started delivering.

What surprised me was the distance I had to walk. I'm glad I was in great shape. And it's hard to cart through a neighborhood of ice and snow with a cart full of parcels. When I first started loading the handcart I thought it would be for two or three blocks. Not for 3 miles. (2.9 according to my smartphones fitness tracking program). I guess if it were 70 and sunny it would have been OK, but not when it's snow, ice and 20 degrees. And, you really have to be careful when that cart is mega-full not to lose any packages.

The funniest part (you have to find humor somewhere) is the look on that Deputy Sheriff's face when he saw me delivering at dusk in a certain "Enforcement" neighborhood. Yet, he did not stick around to make sure I was OK. Figures. ;)

No biggie. I worked through it. I just would not do it again. I don't think it's productive to hand-cart those distances. Too far I think to be productive. Better to work as a team. My opinion anyway.

gingerkat

$9.50 is more than they pay here in So. Cal. In all honesty the diad alone is kind of mind boggling at first! Safety, security, acronyms, OH MY!, Safety, security, acronyms, OH MY, Safety, security, acronyms, OH MY! (thanks wiz)

My driver knows I can handle it, but he also forgets that there are things I don't know. Yesterday we took work off of someone and we went to deliver at opposite sides of the street. I scan… "no info". I stood there for a moment like a deer in headlights, but I decided to try and figure it out. I wasn't exact, but I did it. He high-fived me and apologized for forgetting about that. I'm a firm believer in understanding how all parts work. Once you "get it" it starts to come together.

Even last year UPS wanted helpers to be independent…but without the correct training, it's a disaster. Some drivers like to drop the helper off for an hour with the hand cart, just to get them out of their hair. They usually get a call quickly with a problem, and the helper usually quits quickly (unless helper is an insider).

When I spoke with my coordinator the other day, she asked how I felt about using a bicycle… errr, no thanks! If they want me to do a route like that, they'll have to pay me like a real driver. UPS is smart by using helpers in this fashion. Small pay, no benefits and no new full time jobs. It's really sad that they don't value their people more and open up those routes for those that are waiting.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When drivers transfer work between themselves they are also supposed to transfer the work between their DIADs. When they didn't do that it forced you to go "old school" by having to manually enter the address after scanning the barcode.

If this ever happens again get out of EDD and go in to delivery mode. It is much easier.

JakeD

I would bet that getting yelled at in the first few days or being dropped off woulds be high on the reasons people quit. Which is pretty stupid of the driver because they could have someone who would bust their ass out of the package car but they are not willing to be yelled at and left on their own in the cold. it is hard enough to find helpers who are in shape and smart enough as it is.

last year we had DIAD training.. scanned bar codes, practiced getting signatures, used Find BC. basic but useful things to at least get a head start. We picked up boxes to demonstrate good technique, got in and out of the car using the handrail etc. This year our orientation didn't even have a DIAD to look at, so the 1st years had no idea on day 1 with their driver. She also just showed people a package car and left it at that. no technique demonstration or instruction.

unfortunately for the drivers, the management doesn't have to deal with helpers who aren't trained properly.

RockinRobin

What else amazed me when I was Driver Helper, was the grief I sometimes caught from customers during delivery. Not everywhere or every day, but I sure did catch some grief.

Some would stop me as I was hauling the cart and complain about this or that, or to tell me not to do something concerning package drops any more. Things like "If you leave a package at my front door again, I'm gonna' call and complain. I want my packages at my back door." I was polite and said I was only a seasonal helper, but give me your address and I'll let the Driver know. Some did not want to let me go. They wanted to vent for a while. I had to kindly tell them I really needed to get the packages delivered, but I'd let the driver know about their concern. One actually walked with me for a while continuing to complain. Odd.

Some had weird requests. "I want my packages on the left of the side porch, behind the chair, under the mat, but with an end sticking out so I can see it. Then go to the back door and ring the bell twice and also knock, so I know you left it there." Umm... OK. ;)

One lady took my head off saying if any more packages were left under the eve so rain gets on them she would call and have me fired. I just said, "Yes Maam". Didn't bother to tell her I was gone in a few weeks anyway. I was always professional, out of respect for my Driver and his delivery area.

Another came out when I was delivering and was very upset because I did not ask her for a signature. Evidently it was something from her bank or similar. I tried to explain that it was Driver Release and No Signature was Required, but she didn't want to hear it. She said she was calling to complain and wanted my name because I should know better than to leave important items without a signature. Good grief.

If this is what you Drivers have to put up with on a daily basis, no wonder you are yelling at your helpers. Stress relief. :)

RockinRobin

Well, you certainly earn your money. I was wondering if the complaints I heard were common, or I was just unlucky. I thought perhaps, because I was set on foot with a cart so often and in such "marginal" neighborhoods, that I was just unlucky.

I know the General Public can be a pain in the Axx to deal with. I have a lot of respect for you.

JakeD

Luckily the route I've helped the last 2 years we get rid of most stuff while people aren't home and when they are home i'm usually back in the car before they are at the door. My driver tells me what door if it isn't obvious or someone has said something.

people that are home usually take the package and are happy about it.. sucks you had people who are bitchy. being the sarcastic smart ass that i am i'd probably be overly cheerful with a "have a good day!"

the lady that wanted a signature.. i'd have the driver put sig required flag on the DIAD and have them need to sign for everything after that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Luckily the route I've helped the last 2 years we get rid of most stuff while people aren't home and when they are home i'm usually back in the car before they are at the door. My driver tells me what door if it isn't obvious or someone has said something.

people that are home usually take the package and are happy about it.. sucks you had people who are bitchy. being the sarcastic smart ass that i am i'd probably be overly cheerful with a "have a good day!"

the lady that wanted a signature.. i'd have the driver put sig required flag on the DIAD and have them need to sign for everything after that.

The driver cannot put anything in to the DIAD----he would have to ask the PDS to put a note in C-Pad to flag that stop as signature only----but he won't because getting a signature, unless requested by the shipper, is a pain in the butt.

To the helpers----if a customer does complain or say something snarky, simply hand them the package, tell them to have a nice day and walk back to the pkg car. You are not being paid enough to deal with idiots.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
$9.50 is more than they pay here in So. Cal. In all honesty the diad alone is kind of mind boggling at first! Safety, security, acronyms, OH MY!, Safety, security, acronyms, OH MY, Safety, security, acronyms, OH MY! (thanks wiz)

In the Central States, all driver helpers earn $12.88, including incumbent PTers. I'm pondering: outside of the Central States, does the job pay the same for seasonal & incumbent employees, or in areas such as yours, do incumbent employees earn their regular inside wage?

$12.88 is about a 40% paycut for myself, but I regularly earn about 150 hours per helping season and most of those are paid at the OT rate, yielding about a $16-17/hour average, which I deem fair. As a bonus, the 25 lbs. I gained since the summer (stress related) is coming off fairly quickly.