High Values

Hangingon

We had another DRed HV a few days ago. Driver gets a last minute add/cut but the HV paperwork didn't get pulled from the original drivers log. Next day they see it was DRed and send the driver back to try to get a signature. We've been told that if we DR a HV even if we don't know it was a HV we will be responsible for the cost if cosignee claims non-recipt.

My question is why do we still get HV that are releasable? Can't they make any package valued at over $1k default to signature required, or even adult sig req?

jimstud

Banned
they can not make you pay for a hv that you driver released if you did not know it was a hv. you still have to follow proper dr methods if you don't you could be held responsible.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I got into a argument with our LP abotu this very thing. I DR'ed a parcel that was a high value without know it was a high value. he comes to me askign why I didn't get a signature. I told him i didn't know it was a high value and it was not coded 42 to get a signature. he told me I had to get a signature for it the next day. I reitterated teh faact that a few months prior he told us all that if was coded with and 03 then were to DR the package. only packages with sig req codes need sigs at residential deliveries. i also offered that when using Worldship the package should automatically coded for signature if it is a high value. he just rolled his eyes at me and walked away telling me to just get eh signature. what the heck. counted as another stop for me.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ARTICLE 10. LOSS OR DAMAGE

Section 1.
No employee shall make any reimbursement or have monies deducted from
his/her pay for loss or damage to parcels except as provided in this Section.

No employee shall be disciplined or required to make reimbursement for lost
or damaged parcels unless the Employer demonstrates that the employee,
without justification or mitigation, violated pertinent established rules or
policies, the observance of which would have prevented the loss or damage.
In no event shall a driver be subject to reimbursement for loss or damage to
a Driver Release parcel valued at one hundred dollars ($100.00) or less.

In other words, it is the company's responsibility to make sure that high value packages are clearly labeled as such, and a driver cant be held responsible if he followed proper DR methods and was not informed that the package required a signature.

leastbest

LeastBest
ARTICLE 10. LOSS OR DAMAGE

Section 1.
No employee shall make any reimbursement or have monies deducted from
his/her pay for loss or damage to parcels except as provided in this Section.

No employee shall be disciplined or required to make reimbursement for lost
or damaged parcels unless the Employer demonstrates that the employee,
without justification or mitigation, violated pertinent established rules or
policies, the observance of which would have prevented the loss or damage.
In no event shall a driver be subject to reimbursement for loss or damage to
a Driver Release parcel valued at one hundred dollars ($100.00) or less.

In other words, it is the company's responsibility to make sure that high value packages are clearly labeled as such, and a driver cant be held responsible if he followed proper DR methods and was not informed that the package required a signature.

All the tools to make this a reasonable job are at our disposal. 9.5 grievances, 8 hour requests, etc. We just have to stand up for ourselves and use them.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
All the tools to make this a reasonable job are at our disposal. 9.5 grievances, 8 hour requests, etc. We just have to stand up for ourselves and use them.

I sometimes think that management will actually respect( I use that word loosely) someone a bit more if they they know where that persons line is...and know when and how not to cross it. On the other hand, an employee they can walk all over and NEVER sticks up for themselves really has no respect of anyone, co-workers or mgt...they are just a pack mule. But on the other extreme, drivers who are in the office daily complaining, who file daily, etc, etc probably wont be receiving much love from the boss. I have seen in my experience the drivers who are helpful when time allows, but who can say no and will file on something they feel strongly about are the ones that go the farthest here. Need to pick and choose your battles..for sure.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I got into a argument with our LP abotu this very thing. I DR'ed a parcel that was a high value without know it was a high value. he comes to me askign why I didn't get a signature. I told him i didn't know it was a high value and it was not coded 42 to get a signature. he told me I had to get a signature for it the next day. I reitterated teh faact that a few months prior he told us all that if was coded with and 03 then were to DR the package. only packages with sig req codes need sigs at residential deliveries. i also offered that when using Worldship the package should automatically coded for signature if it is a high value. he just rolled his eyes at me and walked away telling me to just get eh signature. what the heck. counted as another stop for me.
We are told the same Cement. If the diad does not prompt a sig req then DR it. The only exception to that, that I know of, is Walmart Pharmacy. We (not the drivers, that's for sure) made an agreement with Walmart to get a sig on all pharmacy pkgs. Yesterday I had a pkg that had adult sig req stickers all over it. There must have been at least 10 of them. It was coded 03 and that is what I did.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a residential delivery from one of the upper end stores (Bloombergs?) and they shipped it 03 but typed "Signature Required" as part of the consignee address. I left that pkg on their front porch. If they are not willing to spend the extra $ to ensure we get an autograph than they are out of luck--that's just not me, that came from my on-car and center manager.

As far as the HV, I agree with Big John Studd.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
they can not make you pay for a hv that you driver released if you did not know it was a hv. you still have to follow proper dr methods if you don't you could be held responsible.
Ditto!

I had a residential delivery from one of the upper end stores (Bloombergs?) and they shipped it 03 but typed "Signature Required" as part of the consignee address. I left that pkg on their front porch. If they are not willing to spend the extra $ to ensure we get an autograph than they are out of luck--that's just not me, that came from my on-car and center manager.

As far as the HV, I agree with Big John Studd.
If I see a pkg that is as you say, I'll change it in the board, get a signature, so that UPS will correct the billing for the company that "obviously" made a mistake somewhere.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We are told the same Cement. If the diad does not prompt a sig req then DR it. The only exception to that, that I know of, is Walmart Pharmacy. We (not the drivers, that's for sure) made an agreement with Walmart to get a sig on all pharmacy pkgs. Yesterday I had a pkg that had adult sig req stickers all over it. There must have been at least 10 of them. It was coded 03 and that is what I did.

Why would you ever consider not getting a signature at a pharmacy, or any business for that matter.

Why would you ever consider not getting a signature at a pharmacy, or any business for that matter.
I have dr'd packages on my route at businesses if they are shipper release. I know which businesses are safe and agreeable with that and which are not. Several of these businesses have areas which are not accessible to the general public, and are perfectly good dr's for shipper release packages.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Monster, I meant the other way, the shipper is Walmart Pharmacy and they do not code their shipments as sig req, but we are reqired to get a sig because UPS has made that agreement with Walmart.

S

speeddemon

Unless I sign for it before I leave on the HV log, or its not a code 42 or a business, its there problem. I'm letting that sucker fly to the front porch!

some1else

Banned
//I sometimes think that management will actually respect( I use that word loosely) someone a bit more if they they know where that persons line is...and know when and how not to cross it.
//
ive used this "method" since i grew a set (about 1 year in). any time i get yelled at for anything stupid- such as this crap above; i spam 5-10 grievances (legit ones-sup work, air-driver w/grounds etc) before i leave for the day. when the center manager has you sit down yelling at you for some dumb ****, then you bring a stack of grievances for him to sign 10 minutes later they get it! ive only been through the cycle about five times in as many years, and then they remember why they ignore me!

nobber

HV are to be controlled from person to person, if you didn't sign as accepting the package they cant hold you accountable for DRing it. Most of them don't have sig req on them

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
HV are to be controlled from person to person, if you didn't sign as accepting the package they cant hold you accountable for DRing it. Most of them don't have sig req on them
This is the problem. The shipping software should automatically make anything over $1000, signature required. This message should be communicated to all the shippers that still use the book and communicated to asd/oca pkgs as well. This could generate that much more revenue, as well as guaranteeing that the pkg reaches its destination. JMHO, as always.