Hiring freeze and Transformation team members added - On Topic

Popeye

I'll assume you're using the "urban" definition of salty in your post. 1987 must be your birth year, since I have forgotten more about UPS than you seem to know. I'd say you're not in any position to make assumptions about me or my past results with the organization. You don't know me........You can bet that the results that my people achieved, paved the way for you to have a job today. You can just thank me and the rest of the "old timers" for our results that provided you with gainful employment. Stay in your lane...Bro.

Preferential treatment for certain minorities by managers in the same minority group has been growing over the years. We've had a succession of black guys in charge of US operations for 25 years beginning with Cal Tyler. Since then every single one has been black. Among region and district managers, blacks are way over-represented. They represent about 10% of the US population but a much higher percentage of region and district managers. Is this a coincidence? Look at HR as another example. Black person running the department on the Management Committee and blacks way over-represented in senior management positions. These are the facts.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Preferential treatment for certain minorities by managers in the same minority group has been growing over the years. We've had a succession of black guys in charge of US operations for 25 years beginning with Cal Tyler. Since then every single one has been black. Among region and district managers, blacks are way over-represented. They represent about 10% of the US population but a much higher percentage of region and district managers. Is this a coincidence? Look at HR as another example. Black person running the department on the Management Committee and blacks way over-represented in senior management positions. These are the facts.

Why do you think this is?

UPSER1987

So what is the point of your “ facts” ? Many of your posts have a real bitter tone.

Popeye

So what is the point of your “ facts” ? Many of your posts have a real bitter tone.

You are free to interpret the facts any way you choose. However, your interpretation doesn't alter the facts.

Many of your posts have the tone of a black person with a chip on his shoulder.

Popeye

Not ashamed of anything... but the guy is off target with his assertion

I call BS. I suspect you're black but don't want to admit it based on the facts I posted. You may well be the beneficiary of some race-based preferential treatment yourself and feel a little self conscious about it. And this is exactly why it sucks. Everyone sees this stuff going on all around them. Just like the woman who's promotion was discussed earlier in this thread, whenever someone of the ethnic group in question is promoted, there's always that question mark about how they got it. It's not fair to the people who actually earn what they get regardless of how much light their skin reflects.

cherryred

This Guy

Last edited:

CodeRed

Well...there it is. When the facts don't match your perception, play the race card. Classic.
Last District I worked in had only 1 non minority management person in the HR function. Last building I worked in was over 85% minority teamsters. Only 4 of the 25+ management people at the building were non minorities. Our new leader of the Transformation Team, promoted blacks 3 to 1 over others for manager and staff positions in her stint as our District Manager and it wasn't based on their results. Two of the staff promotions to Package Division Manager went to black managers that had only managed in one location in their entire careers and had both failed a KETER audit the year before or in year of their promotion. Their results were mediocre at best and were promoted over much more qualified and seasoned non black managers. It became a joke amongst operations managers. If you wanted to get to the next level, you had to fail a KETER audit. It's also interesting to know that our new leader of the Transformation process has herself been the recipient of preferred treatment her entire career. She was the District manager in the MidSouth for about a year, then took the same the same job in the North Atlantic District for about a month, before being promoted to the West Region Manager. She was the West Region manager for roughly 6 months and now she's on the Management Committee? Who does that? It must help being the daughter of a former President of the NAACP.......

UPSER1987

There is so much garbage in this post...you said that 85% of the teamsters were minority...isn’t 4 of 25 non minority management a consistent percentage based on the community and workforce?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would guess the reason for the over promotion of minorities is due to the fact the EEOC monitors the ratios of hiring and promotions. That combined with paying off plenty of settlements. And I would say that yes it does exist. UPS isn't the only one, but they are pretty callous with it

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Well...there it is. When the facts don't match your perception, play the race card. Classic.
Last District I worked in had only 1 non minority management person in the HR function. Last building I worked in was over 85% minority teamsters. Only 4 of the 25+ management people at the building were non minorities. Our new leader of the Transformation Team, promoted blacks 3 to 1 over others for manager and staff positions in her stint as our District Manager and it wasn't based on their results. Two of the staff promotions to Package Division Manager went to black managers that had only managed in one location in their entire careers and had both failed a KETER audit the year before or in year of their promotion. Their results were mediocre at best and were promoted over much more qualified and seasoned non black managers. It became a joke amongst operations managers. If you wanted to get to the next level, you had to fail a KETER audit. It's also interesting to know that our new leader of the Transformation process has herself been the recipient of preferred treatment her entire career. She was the District manager in the MidSouth for about a year, then took the same the same job in the North Atlantic District for about a month, before being promoted to the West Region Manager. She was the West Region manager for roughly 6 months and now she's on the Management Committee? Who does that? It must help being the daughter of a former President of the NAACP.......

Affirmative action at its finest :rolleyes:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Let’s ask @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U thoughts on this since he is an African American trying to climb the ranks to corporate in this organization....does he feel there is too large of percentage of blacks in the upper mgt positions ??

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I would guess the reason for the over promotion of minorities is due to the fact the EEOC monitors the ratios of hiring and promotions. That combined with paying off plenty of settlements. And I would say that yes it does exist. UPS isn't the only one, but they are pretty callous with it
Good.... hope the next CEO is a black woman....I’m sure @monkeybutt would agree 100%...

CodeRed

I'm certain that the local community is not 85% minority/black. If you walked into the operation and just looked around at all the worker's present, including management, you'd think the operation was on another continent.