Hitting Unloading PPH

Altoid

So I am a new employee at UPS and I have had two days of actual work where I am unloading packages from the trailers. We were told during orientation that the expected PPH for unloading was 1200. I am a young guy and I am in pretty good shape, but my first day I only hit 800 PPH and my second day I only hit around 850 with a max of 860. I am wondering if there are any specific methods people use to unload faster to the point they can hit 1200 PPH or if it just comes with more time on the job? Some of the trailers have really nice walls which make it easy to unload fast, but others have either poorly built walls or just packages that are much heavier that makes it seem almost impossible to be unloading a package every 3 seconds. Also, how strict are they usually about hitting their expected rate? If I don't get to 1200 PPH consistently by the end of my 30 days am I automatically fired? I'm really only doing this for a summer job while I'm home for college, but being able to work for 2-2.5 months would be nice instead of 30 days. Thanks in advance.

Nah
So I am a new employee at UPS and I have had two days of actual work where I am unloading packages from the trailers. We were told during orientation that the expected PPH for unloading was 1200. I am a young guy and I am in pretty good shape, but my first day I only hit 800 PPH and my second day I only hit around 850 with a max of 860. I am wondering if there are any specific methods people use to unload faster to the point they can hit 1200 PPH or if it just comes with more time on the job? Some of the trailers have really nice walls which make it easy to unload fast, but others have either poorly built walls or just packages that are much heavier that makes it seem almost impossible to be unloading a package every 3 seconds. Also, how strict are they usually about hitting their expected rate? If I don't get to 1200 PPH consistently by the end of my 30 days am I automatically fired? I'm really only doing this for a summer job while I'm home for college, but being able to work for 2-2.5 months would be nice instead of 30 days. Thanks in advance.
800 is fine. Over time you'll figure out what works. My best advice you get faster is to stop worrying about it and just do it. Show up and do your job. I recommend using your loadstand, but that's up to you.

As for how strict they are, not very. Just show up to work every day, on time, and don't do something stupid like lying or stealing, and I guarantee you'll have this job for as long as you want.

Altoid

800 is fine. Over time you'll figure out what works. My best advice you get faster is to stop worrying about it and just do it. Show up and do your job. I recommend using your loadstand, but that's up to you.

As for how strict they are, not very. Just show up to work every day, on time, and don't do something stupid like lying or stealing, and I guarantee you'll have this job for as long as you want.
Thanks for the advice. Would you say speed is more important than making sure the labels are placed accurately to the supervisors? I feel like I slowed myself down a lot trying to make sure the labels were placed correctly (not on the back or bottom). My supervisor is a pretty nice guy but seems to care more about speed than using correct methods or "safety"

Nah
Thanks for the advice. Would you say speed is more important than making sure the labels are placed accurately to the supervisors? I feel like I slowed myself down a lot trying to make sure the labels were placed correctly (not on the back or bottom). My supervisor is a pretty nice guy but seems to care more about speed than using correct methods or "safety"
Speed is more important to the dumb supervisors. The smart ones know that if you don't orient labels properly, you'll overwhelm the sorters and cause the belt to get shut down, which they HATE.

Altoid

Speed is more important to the dumb supervisors. The smart ones know that if you don't orient labels properly, you'll overwhelm the sorters and cause the belt to get shut down, which they HATE.
Thanks. You actually helped calm my nerves about Monday a lot. I'm just going to go in and focus on doing my best possible rate with placing the packages correctly and continue learning the best methods.

Box Handler of Dallas

I commend you for wanting to hit those production numbers, very impressive!!! In our hub, we have college students that work the summer and winter/spring breaks.
If your supervisor tries to yell at you to go faster always remember to tell them "I'm working as quickly and safely as possible". Safely is the key word to put in there ;) Another thing to keep in mind: Our contract doesn't recognize their production expectations.
Welcome to the brown world.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
If you are actually trying, you are just about guaranteed to pass probation as an inside worker. After that…continue to give a decent effort but always remember their numbers are not real.

PT Car Washer

1200PPH was from when the max package weight was 35lbs and later 50lbs. Entirely unrealistic today.

DOK

That’s not really a thing in our building, I’ve asked unloaders if they’re kept to a pph standard and they have no idea what im talking about. Used to be a big deal 30 years ago when I unloaded. That was with all H frames with rollers.

That’s not really a thing in our building, I’ve asked unloaders if they’re kept to a pph standard and they have no idea what im talking about. Used to be a big deal 30 years ago when I unloaded. That was with all H frames with rollers.
Get hit in the head with one of those doors once or twice...

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
paying someone $10 to unload an entire semi truck , GEEZ THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT JOB …DURR DURR IM A SUPERVISORS DURR DURR
🧔‍♂️✊

I mean, gas is $500/gallon. Who else are they gonna find to work for $60 a night.
IMG_20220604_151638004_HDR.jpg