Hmm.. Discharged Last night but still working.....

Indecisi0n

There is a misload function in the DIAD---scan the package and indicate Y or N as to whether you can run it off or not. There was no need for any of the other messages.

You need to limit your ODS messages to operational needs only.

I never use Y even if its around the corner. Had a talking to about that. So now I make no decisions and hit N for everything. If they get to me in time and tell me to del I do. If not then I bring it backs to the building and sheet missed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never use Y even if its around the corner. Had a talking to about that. So now I make no decisions and hit N for everything. If they get to me in time and tell me to del I do. If not then I bring it backs to the building and sheet missed.

If the misload is right around the corner I don't even send it in---I just run it off.

Our center team wants us to run off as many of the misloads as we can.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Why not wait until 2:30 or 3:00 even if you really want to be sure all the management is gone for the day, and work with the OMS in this situation. I also think your career with ups is over. If you are filing grievances for revenge, you will soon learn who has the upper hand in this game, and it ain't you. Wanna keep your job? Come in, do your job, keep your mouth shut, go home.

You are a gutless coward.
This isn't the military and this mindset has no place in a union shop.

Buck Fifty

Why not wait until 2:30 or 3:00 even if you really want to be sure all the management is gone for the day, and work with the OMS in this situation. I also think your career with ups is over. If you are filing grievances for revenge, you will soon learn who has the upper hand in this game, and it ain't you. Wanna keep your job? Come in, do your job, keep your mouth shut, go home.

You are a gutless coward.
This isn't the military and this mindset has no place in a union shop.

I second that motion !!!

barnyard

KTM rider
If you worked the day after you received a discharge letter, you will win the grievance. Happened at my center, guy was discharged and asked to finish out the week. He did, grieved it using the "either you are fired or you are working" argument and won. He did the same thing 4 months later, was fired and that stuck.

There is a misload function in the DIAD---scan the package and indicate Y or N as to whether you can run it off or not. There was no need for any of the other messages. You need to limit your ODS messages to operational needs only.
I agree with Dave. I don't put anything in a message accept what should be there. We are all adults if we are doing this job and we know right from wrong. If your mad take ten minutes before you reply. Also any messages you receive that cross the line should be taken a picture of on your break.

You better run to the store today you're out of tampons and maxipads.

YesYouDidPushAButton

*UPDATE*
He messed up BAD this morning!!!

Got to work, "still working btw"
Got in my truck immediately pulled out misloads, and found some hazmats on the shelf on their side with stuff on them and no slips pulled. 100% truth here, walked up, told him I need to speak with you please, told him about misloads an hazmats, he walked out to truck with me. Walked up behind me pushed out his chest, pulled his arm back with a fist like he was going to hit me, said he doesn't give a sh** about what's going on in this truck, made another gesture like he wanted me to flinch (I didn't) gave me the finger to my face and screamed at me to "friend* off!!" Stomped his feet away.

For those on their side, this is what we're dealing with here. Multiple members of management like this. All stewards, 800 HR, and local police were all notified.

1 part time sup witness, not sure if he'll talk yet.

From experience, Never get into a pissing match over a Diad/Shiftcom/Ivis! I don't care if they insult your mom and your dog. Keep every message professional and even courteous despite what you're saying in your head. Doing so will make the hostility one sided in your favor. As said, take photos of the truly hostile/illegal/immoral/unethical messages to document for yourself.
That being said there is no way that I would have left any package on the side of the road. In the old days of having my own route with trusted customers then possibly I would have left them for pickup at a secure location. You were correct in your deeds but incorrect in the execution. As mentioned above you should have refused to abandon a customers property in an insecure location, msg when in area for a meet point.

I have no expieriance on the discharge subject. My opinion is you may get your hand slapped for the messages but in sending them to refuse an unethical directive they may just sweep this under the rug. At most, with a steward present, I would apologize for the way you got the message across but not the message itself.

Dont let this guy goad you into a fight especially in a public forum. If he's as bad as he sounds he'll hang himself well enough on his own.

*UPDATE*
He messed up BAD this morning!!!

Got to work, "still working btw"
Got in my truck immediately pulled out misloads, and found some hazmats on the shelf on their side with stuff on them and no slips pulled. 100% truth here, walked up, told him I need to speak with you please, told him about misloads an hazmats, he walked out to truck with me. Walked up behind me pushed out his chest, pulled his arm back with a fist like he was going to hit me, said he doesn't give a sh** about what's going on in this truck, made another gesture like he wanted me to flinch (I didn't) gave me the finger to my face and screamed at me to "friend* off!!" Stomped his feet away.

For those on their side, this is what we're dealing with here. Multiple members of management like this. All stewards, 800 HR, and local police were all notified.

1 part time sup witness, not sure if he'll talk yet.

Call the hotline number and report workplace violence. When they investigate they'll sweat that pt sup as I'm sure he won't risk his job to cover for your attacker.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Unfortunately I cared about the customers they were supposed to be going to.... It was a Friday and some of it was 2/3 day etc.

And you're right, afterwards I realized I should've just sat back and let them fail. As a customer (I run a business outside UPS and I'm a shipper) a shareholder, and someone who has to see these customers daily, it drives me nuts to see service failures that failed over someones ego. It would've taken 20 minutes to get these delivered.

You have the wrong attitude. No matter what your feelings are, you're not paid for your thoughts or feelings. Unless they instruct you to do something unsafe, ALWAYS do what they say. You are not in a position to worry. How long have you worked here? Simply put, you cannot prevent management stupidity. Let it run it's course. You will make much more money by following their instructions.

Two things: stop trying to make sense of management's decisions, and DO NOT send opinions over the ODS, PERIOD! Just the facts. You're just giving them fuel to use against you.

As far a your dip**** supervisor, ignore him. There is nothing you can do about the way he acts. A :censored2: is a :censored2: is a :censored2:. File grievances against him, but never get emotional with him. Don't let him get to you. Most sups I've dealt with, like him, get a kick out of making workers angry. Don't fall for the bait. Just smile and speak in a completely neutral tone. This will drive him nuts. Never underestimate the power of playing stupid. It is very tempting to try to outsmart an idiot, but at UPS, it is counter-productive. Do whatever you can to remain unemotional in this job. It pays the best that way...

Dracula

Learn this phrase and use it repeatedly, hostile work environment.

We used to use, "terrorist threats". We had a feeder driver threaten to call the FBI with this phrase. That ended that story. And this was over ten years ago. In this day and age, the NSA might get involved.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You have the wrong attitude. No matter what your feelings are, you're not paid for your thoughts or feelings. Unless they instruct you to do something unsafe, ALWAYS do what they say. You are not in a position to worry. How long have you worked here? Simply put, you cannot prevent management stupidity. Let it run it's course. You will make much more money by following their instructions.

Two things: stop trying to make sense of management's decisions, and DO NOT send opinions over the ODS, PERIOD! Just the facts. You're just giving them fuel to use against you.

As far a your dip**** supervisor, ignore him. There is nothing you can do about the way he acts. A :censored2: is a :censored2: is a :censored2:. File grievances against him, but never get emotional with him. Don't let him get to you. Most sups I've dealt with, like him, get a kick out of making workers angry. Don't fall for the bait. Just smile and speak in a completely neutral tone. This will drive him nuts. Never underestimate the power of playing stupid. It is very tempting to try to outsmart an idiot, but at UPS, it is counter-productive. Do whatever you can to remain unemotional in this job. It pays the best that way...
Remaining level headed is important, however playing stupid is not.

The contract says "work in the best interest of the employer at all times" or something to that effect. The packages left on the side of the road ARE NOT IN THE BEST INTEREST. companies best interest, customers best interest, drivers best interest.

Also, if the packages are lifted, who's responsible for the claims? You think the "nitwit" sup will take responsibility? I personally would not leave them, despite being instructed to.

Dracula

Remaining level headed is important, however playing stupid is not.

The contract says "work in the best interest of the employer at all times" or something to that effect. The packages left on the side of the road ARE NOT IN THE BEST INTEREST. companies best interest, customers best interest, drivers best interest.

Also, if the packages are lifted, who's responsible for the claims? You think the "nitwit" sup will take responsibility? I personally would not leave them, despite being instructed to.

Sorry, but this supervisor is a loose cannon who needs to let his actions show him the direction of the door. If this were me, I would have pulled over and called the union hall, or if they weren't available, my steward. Yes, this is a dumb management decision, but get a witness, a copy and/or a union second opinion, then do as instructed.

Dracula

First thing, though, I would call Atlanta and tell them you feel unsafe at work. Then file a grievance seeking this supervisor's termination for violence. We used to file grievances seeking sups termination. It never worked, but it created a helluva storm, but are sups never acted like they were going to punch us either.

Bury this clown in grievance forms.

Sorry, but this supervisor is a loose cannon who needs to let his actions show him the direction of the door. If this were me, I would have pulled over and called the union hall, or if they weren't available, my steward. Yes, this is a dumb management decision, but get a witness, a copy and/or a union second opinion, then do as instructed.

You have the right to refuse illegal/immoral/unsafe and I would also add unethical. UPS claims to be real big on ethics,at least how they lead in the Code of Conduct manual.
i would have refused to leave those packages for the first and last reasons. 1) if those packages were interstate shipments there might be some legality involved 2) it is against our ethics to break a customer contract by abandoning those packages. If the OP would have kept his head on the messages he could have simply refused to do so and as discussed let his sups actions stand for himself and would have been untouchable.

packageguy

Unrelated to my other post from last night, I was posting on my lunch break about filing a grievance over some safety issues. Load has been aweful, I've got hazmats and other things being loaded incorrectly, 12+ Hrs every single day, and the typical stresses that I dont have to teach anyone else here about. I'm really good about coming in, doing what I've got to do and leaving....

Filed a few grievances these past couple weeks, we've got an obnoxious amount of supervisor working issues, I've got some serious safety issues not being addressed. Well Back in May I got a warning letter for getting a little lippy over the ods messages. (No swearing, sexual, or violent messages) We've got a particular on road who's pretty good at pushing peoples buttons. This is the guy telling me every concern I bring to him (safety or otherwise) isnt his job and he doesn't care. He's not ashamed to tell you to your face that he doesn't care about the problem you're bringing to him, or you as a person.. This is also the super ego type thats constantly on the car, following you around, frivolous warning letters that never stick etc.

Back to last week, Him and the center manager jumped down my throat for delivering my misloads the day before, apparently BEFORE I was "instructed" to (In 11 years, It was always a given to deliver misloads) and I will deliver them when HE says I'm going to deliver them, told him "okay". So the next day, I've got 6 misloads (seriously) and I start sending (polite) messages around 11 that I've got them and waiting for instructions. At 1 send some more. 3 send some more. 4 send some more. 4:30 I'm told to leave them on the side of the street and a supervisor will come and get them, I initially refused to do that, told him over the board that was a stupid idea and boxes wouldnt be safe. He instructed me to leave them, so at 4:40 I left them. at 5:15 I'm doing pickups, come back around, THEYRE STILL THERE !!#!@$!!#@!@! AND NOW THEY'RE WET!!! I picked them back up and sent off a few messages that they were still there, they're missed, terrible idea, he sent me some messages that I'm not going to tell him what to do, and do my job and this and that, on and on, sent him a few back he should find a new job because he sucks at this one, etc... Nothing the next day. Last night I got in (at 9 again :angry:) I get a warning letter for failing to follow instructions, a warning letter for not working as directed, and a letter of discharge for insubordination for the "mean" messages I sent in, that I had been previously warned about this back in May and I "failed to fix the problem" I'm prepared to hand over my ID and be walked out etc. Steward tells me dont worry about it, they tell me keep my ID and come in, worked all day today, and filed the grievances. Was asked when I would be terminated, they said they didnt know. What should I expect here lol Part of my isnt overly worried about it, steward said if it was serious enough I would've been walked out already and to not worry about it. I went ahead and filed those additional safety grievances I was on here talking about last night anyways. And a supervisor working to top them all off.

So you have a working discharge, they want you to fear them, you will
have a hearing and maybe 3 day suspense. Just continue to come to
and do your job, give them nothing to look at you......

YesYouDidPushAButton

Does anyone else think that the OP may be a bit of a drama queen and that his story is less than truthful?

Thanks, because its something a meathead supervisor wouldn't do. This is an ongoing issue with this supervisor. Ill be happy to share everything along with his written apology should it go that way. Cebter manager already wants to negotiate m discharge and warning letter for letting this go.