Hmm.. Discharged Last night but still working.....

YesYouDidPushAButton

I find it amazing that most of us are able to go to work each day, do our jobs, keep our mouths shut, punch out, go home, and then do it all again the next day. Just sayin'.
Yep, for over 10.5 Years thats exactly what I did. I thought it was ridiculous that all the employees in this particular driver group were ALWAYS having issues. I thought they were a bunch of trouble makers too. Than I got moved into this group, I'd heard stories, and they were mostly right. He's on his way out, and hopefully someone not as bad will take his place.

I think we can both agree that the OP is neither.

The OP is a trouble-maker, pure and simple.
Thats me.

With the exception of this one guy in particular, we've had several entire management personal "cycles" in our operation. Whats funny is from 2003-2009 we had great management, they werent even forced out, they QUIT! And moved onto something else. You can only take center managers and co management who throw things off their desks, scream, yell, meet you on route to yell at you, ignore the contract, do hourly work, and fight with everyone they come across for so long. Our whole management "team" at the moment was assembled just this last 1.5 year, one was a part time sup promotion from inside center who is learning all the wrong things already, question him about the hourly work he does, he'll tell you to go friend* yourself. Theres an absolute lack of respect on their end which is turning into an obvious lack of respect from the hourlies as well. It's hostile on both sides and it's stressful to be around.

Last edited:
I disagree Dave. While, IMO , he should have kept his temper on the message exchange I feel he was right in refusing to abandon a customers property just because a whack job sup says to. There's working as directed and there's working stupid. The sup is out of control and when you encounter such individuals they need to be stood up to.

Nimnim

The Nim
They tried to give a warning letter to a driver in my center who called in less than 1 hour before his start time. Wasn't feel well but was going to go to work. About a 1/2 hour before work he got worse and called in. Manager said he had to come in, but he was in no condition to work with the stomach flu and told him no. Center manager hit him with a warning letter and he filed a grievance. At the hearing he said "show me in the contract where it says I have to call in 1 hour before my start time." Well it's not in the contract and the warning letter was torn up. The one hour call in is just a nice thing to do and not a requirement.

I don't know about other areas, but at least in mine, if it's not in the NMA, it's in the supplement that we're to call in 1 hour prior to start time. While I personally disagree with failure to call in an hour before start time termed as no call no show, I understand it's at least in my supplement and if I'm calling in I give as much time as possible so they can plan for me not to be there and perhaps call in someone to work a double shift. Obviously it's a bit different in PC, but as said if it's not in the NMA, it might be in the supplement and if someone is going to press grievances for the company against the contract they need to follow it as well.

Last edited:
I don't know about other areas, but at least in mine, if it's not in the NMA, it's in the supplement that we're to call in 1 hour prior to start time. While I personally disagree with failure to call in an hour before start time termed as no call no show, I understand it's at least in my supplement and if I'm calling in I give as much time as possible so they can plan for me not to be there and perhaps call in someone to work a double shift. Obviously it's a bit different in PC, but as said if it's not in the NMA, it might be in the supplement and if someone is going to press grievances for the company against the contract they need to follow it as well.
In 705 I've never had anyone comeback on me if I've called in less than 1 hour before start. If a driver has made a good faith attempt at coming in to work but finds themself too ill then it's a simple occurrence as far as an absence. We've had people make it to work right before their start time and turn around and leave if they've gotten worse. By not holding people to a 1 hour deadline they will actual have people make it in that have managed to shake off whatever made them sick.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
To the OP, I just say, keep your cool and go after this sups job. Ignore the idiots on this forum who say you're a troublemaker. If what you say is true, I applaud you for standing up to bullies like this. So many of these clowns here are afraid of their own shadow and will go to great lengths to avoid creating any waves at all. Their attitude is that we all should be grateful to UPS for letting us walk among them and we should never question stupidity and follow their blind lead.

You will find if you stand up for yourself--AND KEEP YOUR COOL--when you deal with abusive sups, you will create a buffer for yourself. Obviously, some of your co-workers will not appreciate you, but who cares? That's their problem. And yes, you may get some blowback when you do stand up for yourself, mainly because so many other drivers are sheep, which creates trouble for those who do stand up. Just follow the methods, come to work everyday and do the best you can. The rest, let fall off your sides.

YesYouDidPushAButton

I took off today. I heard he wasn't there today, Atlanta called me this evening to ask what happened over again I guess to see if my story changed. They said they're going to investigate. That's all they told me

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
By grow a set u mean what exactly?

there are a few on here I am civil with, as a 28 yr runner,, ie bubble,407,,etc..I know as a runner i get certain perks from my management team,, i also know those bastard shop stewards and constant greivence filing union joes also get MANY a perk,, did i say MANY??If you follow methods and file grievences the co. caters to you,,ALOT.. i dont buy this guys story

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
there are a few on here I am civil with, as a 28 yr runner,, ie bubble,407,,etc..I know as a runner i get certain perks from my management team,, i also know those bastard shop stewards and constant greivence filing union joes also get MANY a perk,, did i say MANY??If you follow methods and file grievences the co. caters to you,,ALOT.. i dont buy this guys story

I hear you hellfire and I recognize the tendencies that you are referring to.
I think if you reread this entire thread you will see a guy who flew under the radar until he landed in a new center, with a new management team.
When faced with an unfamiliar scenario of underhanded, unfair, hostile supervisors, the OP found himself at a crossroad.
He could run and hide or fight.
He decided to stand up and fight and I admire him for it.
He made a few minor mistakes at the beginning but has proven a quick study.
He has them on the ropes and needs to see this through.
If he does, I guarantee they will never "push his button" again.

I hear you hellfire and I recognize the tendencies that you are referring to.I think if you reread this entire thread you will see a guy who flew under the radar until he landed in a new center, with a new management team.When faced with an unfamiliar scenario of underhanded, unfair, hostile supervisors, the OP found himself at a crossroad.He could run and hide or fight.He decided to stand up and fight and I admire him for it.He made a few minor mistakes at the beginning but has proven a quick study.He has them on the ropes and needs to see this through.If he does, I guarantee they will never "push his button" again.
+ a million. I've personally seen it happen.

Returntosender

The cameras only work when its to their advantage...Was you ever at a grievance meeting and your boss said " hey here is that footage of that Sup working" I DONT THINK SO!!
8369482414_87ed32cb7b.jpg

YesYouDidPushAButton

At the advice of my steward I have been quiet here over this. There are updates, someone on the inside monitors this forum too. Someone from Atlanta was in our center a few weeks ago, and the sup involved is currently working a job away from drivers, somewhere else in the center at the moment. They had a copy of this very post as well, either they monitor, or somebody forwarded it to them. I didn't really give much info as to who I am or what center I work in, but I'm wondering if this whole situation as made it that far up. My attorney is involved, and I'm still working for UPS btw. There has been a DEFINITE "change" in the center these past 4 weeks. People are here that we've never seen before, and there's a very calm, polite tone that's never been there before. I've been calm and respectful in return, it's actually kind of nice. The grievance was filed, and 30 other drivers have filed harassment grievances at the same time. They've got grievances coming in by the fistful. We've been hammering them, and we've been fairly quiet it in the past. Sups aren't touching boxes, period. And I'm yet to see one browned up or behind the wheel. While he initially denied knowing anything about it, apparently the center manager has come forward saying he knew something about this but not to the extent that I'm claiming. They've used this to investigate him and all of the un reported accidents, injuries, etc.. I know they had a meeting earlier this week and there's someone new here that's been giving the PCM's this week and sending messages. She hasn't been introduced to us as anything, but there are rumors.

GameCockFan

They tried to give a warning letter to a driver in my center who called in less than 1 hour before his start time. Wasn't feel well but was going to go to work. About a 1/2 hour before work he got worse and called in. Manager said he had to come in, but he was in no condition to work with the stomach flu and told him no. Center manager hit him with a warning letter and he filed a grievance. At the hearing he said "show me in the contract where it says I have to call in 1 hour before my start time." Well it's not in the contract and the warning letter was torn up. The one hour call in is just a nice thing to do and not a requirement.

In the Atlantic area supplement it is in the contract Article 52 section 3. Call in as far in advance as possible, but at least 1 hour on first day of absence.