Hoffa-Hall Leads the Way

mamirk69

I did read it, all of it and thanks for posting for those of us not there to experience the Convention. I read halls speeches, all very good by the way with particular interest on page 84 where protecting the members and the Contract was of utmost importance. He mentioned every issue UPSers might be questioning with the glaring exception of the 22.3 jobs and treatment by UPS. I can't help but wonder if we have been "displaced" from the Contract the same as we were "displaced" out of our jobs. We're not blind to the fact our group was a push by the company to create tension among co-workers and the Union, however we pay our dues like everyone else for equal representation.

I do not think Hoffa and company know how disgruntled many 22.3 workers and part timers are upset on how they have handled that situation and how many package car drivers are falling apart left and right due to the lack of enforcement of the 9.5 language and many people do not forget especially when they are experiencing this kind of abuse on a daily basis. As much as some of Hoffa supporters do not want to realize, our livelihood is in a bad situation as we speak but everything is going to be ok according to the Hoffa supporters as long as Hoffa stays in office I suppose because I was told I do not have a choice and the other candidates are weak so we will see.

mamirk69

It sucks having a broken 22.3 job. I'd rather just go back part-time but they won't allow that.
I am 22.3 like yourself so I assume they have you working a split shift. In my hub they are holding jobs back that should be bidded out to part timers who are in desperate need of becoming full time employees and making a decent life. When I started in 1994 there was always an opportunity to become a full time employee in about 10 years. Now the average Joe is looking at 15 years or more in order to have the opportunity to become full time. I must admit I do not have a split shift and if I did that would be a pain in the ass. I have friends that work a split shift in another facility and they tell me it is very difficult to come back to work after sitting home for roughly 4 to 5 hours before the prior shift. I actually had a conference call conversation with a candidate and they know of the issues while Hoffa instruct Hall to ignore the situation. We have filed 50 individual grievances on the situation of filing the 18 jobs we are missing due to terminations and employees moving to other classifications and have received the ultimate run around from the union and the company but we will stay the course. The only way to make our voices heard is through an election and there is no way I can support Hoffa for his actions over the past decade.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am 22.3 like yourself so I assume they have you working a split shift. In my hub they are holding jobs back that should be bidded out to part timers who are in desperate need of becoming full time employees and making a decent life. When I started in 1994 there was always an opportunity to become a full time employee in about 10 years. Now the average Joe is looking at 15 years or more in order to have the opportunity to become full time. I must admit I do not have a split shift and if I did that would be a pain in the ass. I have friends that work a split shift in another facility and they tell me it is very difficult to come back to work after sitting home for roughly 4 to 5 hours before the prior shift. I actually had a conference call conversation with a candidate and they know of the issues while Hoffa instruct Hall to ignore the situation. We have filed 50 individual grievances on the situation of filing the 18 jobs we are missing due to terminations and employees moving to other classifications and have received the ultimate run around from the union and the company but we will stay the course. The only way to make our voices heard is through an election and there is no way I can support Hoffa for his actions over the past decade.
No split shift. Job is still busted in other ways.

Anyway, Hoffa and Hall nor anyone in the union brass care about 22.3. That is just how it is. Carey is gone and that time has passed.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Sleeve you have given up. We have language to maintain those jobs, all we need is someone to enforce the language. Its obvious that Hoffa wont so vote for anyone else than Hoffa.

Well, you had better hope for "nothing" because the alternative could be really nasty.

Im sorry Sleeve,nothing personal.But Im not one to "settle". Settling is whats gotten us where we are for the past 4 years. Like any kind of election year,we will be bombarded with promises. I cant be the only one sick of horse and pony shows during election time or in this case,contract time. Id love to be a believer,but I refuse to do it blindly.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve you have given up. We have language to maintain those jobs, all we need is someone to enforce the language. Its obvious that Hoffa wont so vote for anyone else than Hoffa.

That is the only language FT combos have, an arbitrary number but the jobs can be shifted and changed around at a whim whenever the company feels like it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Im sorry Sleeve,nothing personal.But Im not one to "settle". Settling is whats gotten us where we are for the past 4 years. Like any kind of election year,we will be bombarded with promises. I cant be the only one sick of horse and pony shows during election time or in this case,contract time. Id love to be a believer,but I refuse to do it blindly.

Reality dictates otherwise. It's another 5 years of the same-old since 2006. At least we know what to expect, no surprises! :peaceful:

Dark_Team_135

Just like the goofball TDU'er from Ky. that gets on the mike and babbled about UPS and 22.3 jobs....

During a discussion on a YRC resolution.... can't fix stupid. I'm sure Sandy was proud. Her Boy.

-Bug-
This wasn't just a YRC resolution. In fact it wasn't about any one company at all:

The Fight to Preserve Jobs and Standards
July 1, 2011

WHEREAS, the economic crisis that is still with us led to enormous pressure on dozens of Teamster employers, both big and small, to restructure their operations and balance sheets to survive, and

WHEREAS, through decades of collective bargaining the Teamsters Union has achieved contracts in many sectors of the economy that have produced the highest wage and benefit standards in those sectors, and

WHEREAS, in many of those sectors most affected by the great recession, Teamster members have been confronted with the difficult zero-sum choice of preserving jobs versus preserving standards, and

WHEREAS, in each instance – from YRCW and Interstate Brands to carhaul to regional and local contracts - the Teamsters Uunion leadership has done everything in its power to negotiate the best options that simultaneously protect jobs and minimize the reduction in standards, and

WHEREAS, in each instance the Teamsters Union has deployed the full assets of the International Union using our political and membership leverage to require the other stakeholders, banks and other financial institutions to also contribute ‘to our employers’ restructuring, and

WHEREAS, in each instance the ultimate decision- making power on choices to be made was in the hands of the Teamster membership through democratic contract ratification procedures, and

WHEREAS, the jobs of thousands of Teamster members have been saved as a result, and

WHEREAS, while the Teamsters Union did its best to protect member jobs, the Teamsters leadership is not satisfied with minimizing job loss as historic standards are eroded,

BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED, that the while the Teamsters Union will continue to put a priority on the preservation of jobs, the Union will work to counter those political and financial forces that are destroying our industries through one-sided trade agreements, deregulation, lax financial oversight, and the weakening of existing labor laws;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Union will work to counter corporate power through greater local union and joint council coordination and the establishment of bargaining committees and other union-wide initiatives to simultaneously restore wage and benefit standards that have been affected as the overall economy improves.

mamirk69

That is the only language FT combos have, an arbitrary number but the jobs can be shifted and changed around at a whim whenever the company feels like it.

Some of our supplement language is different than others and maybe that is something you might want to work on with your local when the next contract is proposed or at least get members opinion and voice it on the matter. One decent thing my local does is take a survey before the contract expires and see what the members want. One thing we suggested was language in the supplement for 22.3 and we got it pertaining to seniority. Like one member stated settling is definitely not the way to go in this election.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Some of our supplement language is different than others and maybe that is something you might want to work on with your local when the next contract is proposed or at least get members opinion and voice it on the matter. One decent thing my local does is take a survey before the contract expires and see what the members want. One thing we suggested was language in the supplement for 22.3 and we got it pertaining to seniority. Like one member stated settling is definitely not the way to go in this election.

The language needs to be in the national contract, that was what I was talking about when I said that. I do not like speaking locally on issues because then it becomes divisive.

We have language that states if the company moves the work, the employee follows the work and also UPS must pay the employee living expenses for the move, etc. That is great for us and actually helped preserve some 22.3 jobs here in NE, but doesn't do any good for anyone else. In reality, it only makes matters worse in some ways.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
This wasn't just a YRC resolution. In fact it wasn't about any one company at all:

Thanks for the clarification Jim.

Point being the goofball TDU'er.... Who should know better. He's been a Delegate before.

DELEGATE DAVID THORNSBERRY, Local 89: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. I’m a UPS package car driver from Local 89 in Louisville, Kentucky.
(Chorus of boos)
I am a 24-year Teamster and a union steward and a proud Sandy Pope delegate.
(Applause and boos)
I rise to speak in favor of this resolution. I walked the picket line in 1997 in our historic strike. We said part-time America won’t work,
and we meant it. Because of that historic strike, we won 20,000 new full-time jobs at UPS.
The company has been eliminating these jobs. They are missing 22.3 jobs and displaced 22.3 workers at UPS in my Bluegrass facility. 22.3 —
GENERAL SECRETARY-TREASURER KEEGEL: I think we’re talking about YRC.
DELEGATE THORNSBERRY: — across the country. This is a good resolution, and I support it.
(Chorus of boos)
We had a good Teamster slogan at UPS.
(Chorus of boos)
I believe in it: Actions speak louder than words.
Brother Hall, Brother Hoffa —
GENERAL SECRETARY-TREASURER KEEGEL: Shut the mike off.
(Cheering and boos)
Just let me say this: I have no problem with the brother coming up speaking about YRC. I do have a problem when he’s not on the subject.

But then again.... thats TDU.

-Bug-

mamirk69

The language needs to be in the national contract, that was what I was talking about when I said that. I do not like speaking locally on issues because then it becomes divisive.

We have language that states if the company moves the work, the employee follows the work and also UPS must pay the employee living expenses for the move, etc. That is great for us and actually helped preserve some 22.3 jobs here in NE, but doesn't do any good for anyone else. In reality, it only makes matters worse in some ways.

Understandable

jalnar

Hoffa will work like democracy works in the middle east. Kill all your opponets even if they are one of you. By electing Hoffa you are sending a message to the company that everything is hunky doree. Now look at the National Grievances that we won and you can count them on 2 hands even if they were legiminate. And dont forget about our dues going uo from 2 times too 2.5 times. Figures that out over the years and we all could afford a trip to Hawaii. WE NEED CHANGE NOW

EyesLookingIn

Here's what Sandy didn't want you to see....

Just as her "Mentor" Ron Carey gave away the right to strike in freight....

God himself only knows what she would let UPS do.

O please you can be a mouth piece for Hoffa all you want , I'll take Sandy 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. Just wait until Keegan starts talking , he's not backing Hoffa , I wonder why LOL ,,, so what does he do he puts hall as S/T , no way he deserved to be in that stop with the people already on his slate , But its all about UPS , I'm a UPS teamster and we are not happy with the last 2 contracts. Hoffa's knows he's in trouble , teamsters from UPS will decide the election. ( just my 3 cents )