Houston Hub Shipping "On Topic"

HandleMyPackage-Mgt

Richard in a box
They're sending an army of people to help clean up. From what I heard they told everyone to plan for a month.

That is about right. I fly out of Pittsburgh tomorrow to help. They told me to prepare for a long trip and to stock up on personal care items due to the damage and lack of supplies to buy down there.

HandleMyPackage-Mgt

Richard in a box
I called-in this past Saturday, food poisoning, I'm not sure if any of the packages that are still in the trucks from two Fridays ago. Based on my observation, the drivers of those trucks which I loaded two Fridays ago still had the same packages in their truck. stated that if those businesses they regularly deliver their bulk stops, the more space will become available for the newer packages to be loaded. The start time at Mykawa on Tuesday is 12:30am, to ensure that we have enough people to handle possibly overwhelming volume coming down the conveyors. Some say it depends on the feeders that will be coming with packages that have been stuck in their freight, possibly since Harvey came.

I fly in to Hobby airport tomorrow and will possibly be in this facility delivering. Have to ask, what am I walking into? Both in and out of UPS?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
That is about right. I fly out of Pittsburgh tomorrow to help. They told me to prepare for a long trip and to stock up on personal care items due to the damage and lack of supplies to buy down there.
I'm in a pretty hard hit area. I went out and bought groceries Friday and Saturday, and even though it was kind of crowded on Saturday, there was only a shortage of a few commodities, mainly eggs, bread and some meats. There seems to be a gasoline shortage in the San Antonio area, but around Houston, you can buy gas most anywhere, except its 35 cents or so higher than it was last week.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I fly in to Hobby airport tomorrow and will possibly be in this facility delivering. Have to ask, what am I walking into? Both in and out of UPS?
You should be ok. You going to work at Mykawa, Sweetwater? The water has gone down, and I believe all roads are open, unless there was damage to the roads, like bridges, asphalt, etc. Good luck finding a rent car in this town.

HandleMyPackage-Mgt

Richard in a box
You should be ok. You going to work at Mykawa, Sweetwater? The water has gone down, and I believe all roads are open, unless there was damage to the roads, like bridges, asphalt, etc. Good luck finding a rent car in this town.

All I know is I fly from Pgh to Hou tomorrow and meet someone at the Airport to get hotel and assignment. Definitely doing this in the blind so will find out more Tuesday.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
All I know is I fly from Pgh to Hou tomorrow and meet someone at the Airport to get hotel and assignment. Definitely doing this in the blind so will find out more Tuesday.
Does someone drive you around to and from on these assignments? Like I said, with upwards of 1,000,000 cars in the Houston area (new, used and personal) being flooded, I'm sure there aren't many rentals available. With 40,000 homes under water, hotels are hard pressed as well. If anyone can pull strings and get stuff done, it's UPS, though.

HandleMyPackage-Mgt

Richard in a box
Does someone drive you around to and from on these assignments? Like I said, with upwards of 1,000,000 cars in the Houston area (new, used and personal) being flooded, I'm sure there aren't many rentals available. With 40,000 homes under water, hotels are hard pressed as well. If anyone can pull strings and get stuff done, it's UPS, though.

Well the strings were pulled. We have a rental for the 5 of us from the same area that were on the same flight and we have hotel rooms. Report to the Stafford Center tomorrow. Heard the area is about 2 million packages behind.....this will need to be a marathon, not a sprint.....but we shall see!

rod

Retired 22 years
Well the strings were pulled. We have a rental for the 5 of us from the same area that were on the same flight and we have hotel rooms. Report to the Stafford Center tomorrow. Heard the area is about 2 million packages behind.....this will need to be a marathon, not a sprint.....but we shall see!

That's only 400,000 pkgs each. Piece of cake -- couple of days max