How About An Amendment To The Taft/Hartley Act?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hey smart guy, guess what happens when more and more RTW states happen and more and more employees opt to not join and not pay dues......there won't be a union ,will there.
Thanks for the compliment ... I assure it is just relative.

The Union will have less officers and less staff and less Locals and Local offices.
They will upgrade their technology ... if they have any now.
The processes will remain but there would definitely be changes.
Some better and some worse.

:smart::butt:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Give a 3rd party the right to hold a transaction between 2 parties hostage until the 1 party pays the 3rd party?

Yeah, I don't think that idea will get much support

Isn't that already happening? Although they call it "fund management," it's the same parties.

zimbomb

I think the Taft/Hartley Act is great. No one should be forced to join a union. Now everyone should be paying the cost of collective bargaing done on their behalf. Rtw laws allow for free riders to benefit without cost. I think unions need to move away from offering expensive services and instead just require members have "job security insurance". All litigation costs outside of contracts would not be a union cost, but a third party covered by retainer/insurance fee.

rpoz11

With Right to Work again becoming a front page story, since Wisconsin's Scott Walker

I invite you to bring Scott Walker and his agenda to Los Angeles and ask Trumka how he feels Walker's vision works for a massive membership.
In fact, what experience does Walker have on Capital Hill with Politicians who have expansive influences.

MC4YOU2

I invite you to bring Scott Walker and his agenda to Los Angeles and ask Trumka how he feels Walker's vision works for a massive membership.
In fact, what experience does Walker have on Capital Hill with Politicians who have expansive influences.

I don't think Walker would enjoy my company.

MC4YOU2

I think the Taft/Hartley Act is great. No one should be forced to join a union. Now everyone should be paying the cost of collective bargaing done on their behalf. Rtw laws allow for free riders to benefit without cost. I think unions need to move away from offering expensive services and instead just require members have "job security insurance". All litigation costs outside of contracts would not be a union cost, but a third party covered by retainer/insurance fee.

Interesting concept. Something sure needs to change.

RealPerson

With Right to Work again becoming a front page story, since Wisconsin's Scott Walker got it passed through, I thought it might be worth considering an amendment. A total repeal of Taft Hartley is very unlikely.
The Republicans have enjoyed some small success in derailing the ACA by attacking it's individual points, and total failure at any repeal.
Could the Democrats and Labor put some amendment through that basically allows Taft Hartley to remain, but guts it's financial rewards in some measure?
I propose this; Any month that an employee not in the union, but working in a union job, does not pay dues, his employer's contributions to his retirement fund cannot be allocated to his individual account. Instead they are held in a general fund until he does either pay his dues and gets his retirement, or doesn't pay and doesn't collect either. Said funds then go into the general fund for distribution.
Why do you CARE about an individuals Retirement account?
If they money is going into an individuals account, it has NOTHING to do with you.
Now you want to strong arm someone into putting the money in a fund for you, because they do not pay dues?
They MONEY is paid BY UPS to the retirement Fund. It affects you in NO way.
If the individual does not pay dues, then I don't see that person getting represented very well at any hearing ..... That is what the DUES are for... to pay your local...
Sometime, the Locals Suck, and don't deserve the dues being paid....

MC4YOU2

If they money is going into an individuals account, it has NOTHING to do with you.
Now you want to strong arm someone into putting the money in a fund for you, because they do not pay dues?
If the individual does not pay dues, then I don't see that person getting represented very well at any hearing ..... That is what the DUES are for... to pay your local...

Pay, working conditions, representation, retirement contributions, and other benefits are all part of the negotiated rights afforded to all covered employees.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Here's an idea, instead of being a freeloader who wants the union to negotiate for his pay, healthcare, and retirement contributions without paying union dues why don't you go apply for a job at non union company (there are plenty out there, take your pick) where you can negotiate for your own pay, healthcare, and retirement contributions. Let us know how it works out.