How are stewards elected?

I would like to be a steward. I understand that the elections are held in March.

I have worked in our center for 23 years, and I only remember one steward election. We have had the same two guys serve as stewards for 20 years.

How can I break in? I am a full time driver. One of our stewards is going to retire in about 2 years.

I would have thought that we would have elections every year with a few choices.

What makes for an excellent steward, in your opinion (other than the obvious "knowledge of the contract" and "sharp intellect")?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I would like to be a steward. I understand that the elections are held in March.

If elections are held in March where you are, run for the job in March.

As @BrownMonk said, it is usually covered in your Local's Bylaws, and it varies everywhere.

Some locals elect their Stewards, some Locals appoint their Stewards.

Some Locals have an election every year, some only have an election when a Steward resigns, retires or possibly moves to another classification.

So in some Locals, you could be a Steward for life unless there are enough disgruntled members that they force the Local to have an election. And it is strickly up to the EB to make that decision.

Although, it is not a wise idea to go against the majority wishes of the members.

How can I break in? I am a full time driver. One of our stewards is going to retire in about 2 years.

Run for the job in 2 years.

What makes for an excellent steward, in your opinion (other than the obvious "knowledge of the contract" and "sharp intellect")?

Good people skills, when dealing with both management and the disgruntled member.

Not being afraid of management, and not minding a "target" on your back.

A mutual respect between yourself and the Center or Hub manager. You don't need to be sleeping with them, but you need them to respect you and the position that you hold.

Being a "hothead" yelling and screaming all the time does nobody any good.

Last edited:

Observer

Get a copy of your current bylaws - the local can mail it to you. Some locals appoint and some have elections - send you a notice and select a major holiday weekend to hold elections. Get some books from the library or order one from an online bookstore- they have some out there that inform you of the duties of a steward and also some scenarios. That way you can see if you want to get involved with it or not. Mugarolla has excellent points as far as how things are in a hub. Good luck. Listening skills are especially important.

Dr.Brownz

We do it by bloodsport. The last steward was killed by the current steward in a dual atop the belt line! The former stewards body was split into 8 pieces and each piece was spa'd to a separate shelf!