How can I defend myself to a supervisor/higher management being rude without getting in trouble?

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Thank you, all of the supervisors are so fake and are little jerks for no reason, today I heard my full timer telling my part timer to start “working those little friend*ckers” because we had just finished a feeder, its really a joke how they treat us here
Call HR and call labor department for not getting your breaks. Sounds like your building has some weak union guys to allow this to go on.

Rack em

Made the Podium
so if I man up they cant fire me right? thats the thing, i would love to but ive done it before and they threaten to fire me so i started toning it down, i know im in the union and will get my job back but its not as simple for me to do that, i have to keep my job until i can get out of the program im in
If you are past your probation period then it's nearly impossible for them to fire you. If they threaten to fire you for exercising your rights until the CBA then not only is that a harassment grievance but an unfair labor practice. Skip talking to steward and talk directly to your business agent.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
so if I man up they cant fire me right? thats the thing, i would love to but ive done it before and they threaten to fire me so i started toning it down, i know im in the union and will get my job back but its not as simple for me to do that, i have to keep my job until i can get out of the program im in
First request a steward before you tell any management off that way they cant say you threatened them. Then dont go off but stand firm that you are not allowed to address me or my coworkers in this manner or I will be filing a grievance for harassment.

AK.

Call HR and call labor department for not getting your breaks. Sounds like your building has some weak union guys to allow this to go on.
yes they do not care. the only thing i know is my union stewards first name and where he works but i havent asked my supervisor yet because i dont want him to know what im trying to do, they find a way to screw you over im just trying to stay on their good side for now so they’ll leave me alone. ive told my supervisor off about not getting breaks and he always says its because i dont work long enough which is bs because 3 hours is guaranteed a 10 min break and i work 3 hours alot, he always says he puts it on my timecard but he never does. the whole area of where i work sucks, and i know my building isnt even the worst.

If you are past your probation period then it's nearly impossible for them to fire you. If they threaten to fire you for exercising your rights until the CBA then not only is that a harassment grievance but an unfair labor practice. Skip talking to steward and talk directly to your business agent.
I know you mean well but he priproba doesn't know what local he is in, where the union hall is and probably has never looked at a contract book

This is our future...

AK.

yes they do not care. the only thing i know is my union stewards first name and where he works but i havent asked my supervisor yet because i dont want him to know what im trying to do, they find a way to screw you over im just trying to stay on their good side for now so they’ll leave me alone. ive told my supervisor off about not getting breaks and he always says its because i dont work long enough which is bs because 3 hours is guaranteed a 10 min break and i work 3 hours alot, he always says he puts it on my timecard but he never does. the whole area of where i work sucks, and i know my building isnt even the worst.
theyve cheated us out of money, they’ll give us 30 min lunch breaks that we dont take, they cheated us out of sunday retention, and they never give us our guaranteed 3 hours when we ask, its ridiculous

Rack em

Made the Podium
Reading the contract will help you to know your rights. If you can throw specific articles in your supervisors face then he will know not to mess with you. Right now he assumes you are a newer employee clueless to what's in the contract which is why he gets away with how he acts.

AK.

Reading the contract will help you to know your rights. If you can throw specific articles in your supervisors face then he will know not to mess with you. Right now he assumes you are a newer employee clueless to what's in the contract which is why he gets away with how he acts.
yes thats exactly what it is, i have family working here and they let me know alot such as im guaranteed 3 hours no matter what, guaranteed a break after 3 hours, etc etc. alot of my building has no idea theyre guaranteed 3 hours or anything like that. they never give us the count when we come in or anything theyre supposed to cover in pcm because we come a little later due to school. its awful

Rack em

Made the Podium
I know you mean well but he priproba doesn't know what local he is in, where the union hall is and probably has never looked at a contract book

This is our future...
I agree....but I believe the union should be doing a better job at getting younger employees informed on the contract. I used to be like him when I first started and didn't know much about the union so I know what it's like. The union doesn't do a good enough job of informing new employees about the contract and their rights. It should be mandatory to receive a contract book during orientation when you fill out your union card.

rod

Retired 22 years
shocker, looks like everyone on here is a bunch of middle aged d*ckheads who hate their lives because they’ve been working at ups their whole life

some of us are old *--and proud of it

Last edited by a moderator:

AK.

and its not even my main supervisor but almost all the supervisors in my building. theres this girl that just got promoted to supervisor i worked with when she was a package handler and she thinks shes hot :censored2: now, our supervisor told us to “bust out a feeder and we can go home” just for them to send us over to the chick to do a whole full feeder for her in under 30 mins while she had workers standing around doing nothing and all of the management up our asses telling us to just get it done fast, we worked at our own pace and i didnt care if it got done or not

AK.

I agree....but I believe the union should be doing a better job at getting younger employees informed on the contract. I used to be like him when I first started and didn't know much about the union so I know what it's like. The union doesn't do a good enough job of informing new employees about the contract and their rights. It should be mandatory to receive a contract book during orientation when you fill out your union card.
thank you, these idiots dont even know how employment works here because we never got informed on anything about union contract or anything. im young and dumb i havent been at ups for 30 years like these bags of bones

You.are 100% right on that. The union does nothing to promote itself with the new employees

AK.

Article 3 section 1. Our BA's and stewards should be attending orientations and informing people.
they definitely do not, when we got hired the only thing we knew about union was that we’d have uniondues for a while, thats it. its not our responsibilities to figure out everything, we got hired to be package handlers

Rack em

Made the Podium
they definitely do not, when we got hired the only thing we knew about union was that we’d have uniondues for a while, thats it. its not our responsibilities to figure out everything, we got hired to be package handlers
Sadly that is the norm across the country. The union isn't what it used to be from what I've heard :(