How can I move to a lighter position? (guy)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You're right, but this is more entertaining than FB in the mornings... and when someone put themselves out there in threads like these looking for help I can be here to make sure the OP knows your game xD
Here's my game. You whiny GD preloaders who complain about "my job is the hardest, my pull is the heaviest.....my back hurts....blah blah blah."
I'm older than you, have loaded trucks longer than you and I'm a woman. Stop crying or hang up your panties and go work at Kmart.

Pooter

OP: Move to preload. Easier than un/loading or trying to get special treatment in a physical demanding gig.

I've met plenty of people with hernias in preload. No shame in asking for help with irregs at the end of sort.

km3

Stand up for yourself, man.

This was due to an attempt to prevent injuries since I really felt unsafe in that area. I was getting :censored2:ty hours 2.5-3 hour days, I'd only get 3.5-4 hrs on Mondays

Yes, out of all of the jobs I've done at UPS, I would have to say that unloading is by far the most dangerous. Unloaders should probably get the $1 raise as hazard pay, but that'll never happen.

You're contractually guaranteed 3.5 if you were scheduled to work any given day and show up on time. Make them give it to you. They'll make you work for it if there's still work left to be done, but even if they have nothing for you to do, they have to give it to you if you ask. If they don't, grieve it.

and pretty much all the rollers were broken if not breaking, they would collapse all the time.

It may not be relevant anymore, seeing as how you moved to the sort aisle, but if there's faulty or dangerous equipment, bring it to management's attention. They won't actually replace it. The best you can hope for is that they get tired of your face, and eventually know better than to put you on those specific sets.

I have a retarded supervisor that doesn't know what he's doing and likes to open all the diverters and have all the flow go to one or two people out of 10 (yea you know those lazy :censored2:s who just stand there after a bar or diverted is moved.) I've had to sort 2-3 people every day since I got up there (Either two guys, one in each truck or two guys in one truck, somtimes the 2 guys in one truck and some other guy in a diffrent truck.)

Hold up your unloaders. If they don't stop, stop the belt. To be continued, 2 quotes from now...

and a lot of the time we're missing like 2-3 people each day.

Staffing is management's problem. Do the best you can with what you're given. Don't kill or injure yourself to keep them happy.

it's very rare that you can work in my area using "hand to surface". Sure I can turn off the belt but the supervisors and full timers get :censored2: and come screaming and yelling, we already turn it off every 10 minutes there is no way we can handle that flow safely with 8-10 people. I'm tired of having to sort more than one guy every day because they refuse to give us 2 more people on the sort isle. A part time job shouldn't :censored2: on you this hard for 3 hours of work.

Always use hand-to-surface. Follow the methods. Face the flow at a 30 to 45 degree angle, 8 keys, place the package on the belt; don't throw it. Stay aware of your surroundings.

If they threaten to discipline you for stopping the belt, give them what they want. Keep the belt running. If stuff starts to pile up, tell your supervisors that unloaders don't listen when you tell them to hold up. Don't stop it except for BMW - Breaking jams, Moving diverters, and Walking the belt after the sort. I would also add that you should always stop it if an injury is imminent. If all hell breaks loose, and 40% of the flow is spilling onto the bottom belts (in my area, small sort is one of them), just say "well, it's small sort's problem now."

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
image.png

8 Hour Day

Here's the best answer I can give you.

Your supervisors are expected to work as few people as possible in order to get the work done. If you're doing the work of 2 people or 3, that makes them look good. They have zero incentive to help you. They will ride you until you break & then replace you with someone else.

Slow down. Work at a reasonable pace. If the belt backs up, that's the supervisor's problem to solve, not yours. So long as you're solving their problem, they have no problem to solve, and they won't.

I've been here long enough to know that the only way UPS management responds is when something absolutely fails.

From a driver's point of view, they keep giving you more and more Next Day Air stops until you keep having late packages. Breaking the speed limit and driving like a madman only makes your supervisor look good. The only way to get fewer Next Day Air stops is to have late Next Day Air packages. In other words, let it fail. When the supervisor has to answer for HIS failures, he'll respond.

Sure, he may come down on you, but so long as you're working fairly and doing your job, you should be okay.

Rethnor

Thanks to those of you who took the time to read and leave advice. I will slow down to a safe pace and talk to HR or a union Stewart about this and moving to another position.

watdaflock?

So, I've worked at UPS for over 3 years now. I started as an unload-er and after a year and a half I moved up to the sort isle. This was due to an attempt to prevent injuries since I really felt unsafe in that area. I was getting :censored2:ty hours 2.5-3 hour days, I'd only get 3.5-4 hrs on Mondays, so when double shifting season started I'd double as much as I could. This was still all in the unload. I was mostly put in long trucks by myself every day and would usually unload 7-8 trucks on my shift then double and do 7-9 on the other shift ( the other shift was getting more hours). The trainers were garbage and pretty much all the rollers were broken if not breaking, they would collapse all the time. My first year they collapsed on my foot as I was on the last wall of a truck. It was a huge strain to my body, I was basically using more calories/energy than I could afford to buy in a week with that :censored2:ty 120-150 dollar check. So I moved up to the sort isle because I started developing a diastasis recti from all the work. It's been two years now on the sort isle and I swear it gets worse every day. I have a retarded supervisor that doesn't know what he's doing and likes to open all the diverters and have all the flow go to one or two people out of 10 (yea you know those lazy :censored2:s who just stand there after a bar or diverted is moved.) I've had to sort 2-3 people every day since I got up there (Either two guys, one in each truck or two guys in one truck, somtimes the 2 guys in one truck and some other guy in a diffrent truck.)

Finally to my point. I keep asking the full timers if they can move me to air doc or small sort. They just laugh and tell me no. The flow on my sort isle is ridiculous, our belts move faster than the other sort isles in the hub and a lot of the time we're missing like 2-3 people each day. So two weeks ago I think I got a hernia, wont be sure till I see the doc on Monday but pretty sure its a hernia. I really want to move to a lighter position like small sort incase I have to have a surgery for the hernia. I don't want to lose my insurance again, yes again. I got fired after I was in an accident and had surgery within two weeks of the wreck. I'm worried about ruining my body anymore than it already is because it's very rare that you can work in my area using "hand to surface". Sure I can turn off the belt but the supervisors and full timers get :censored2: and come screaming and yelling, we already turn it off every 10 minutes there is no way we can handle that flow safely with 8-10 people. I'm tired of having to sort more than one guy every day because they refuse to give us 2 more people on the sort isle. A part time job shouldn't :censored2: on you this hard for 3 hours of work.

I recommend you join the fast food industry. Less heavy lifting and more $ per hour. Obviously UPS isn't for you.

Hope this helps.

Rethnor

The doctor told me it wasn't a hernia, just an adhesion (scar tissue on the surface of the abdomen) That can be broken down by massage. So glad it's not something else, it's been making my balls hurt for two weeks.

AutoZone

BrownPower
I recommend you join the fast food industry. Less heavy lifting and more $ per hour. Obviously UPS isn't for you.

Hope this helps.
You left the most ridiculous response dude.. so you're advice is to leave UPS because he's being over worked and under paid? Lol if you're looking for a paycheck in the beginning, then of course, UPS isn't for anyone! No one can live on $10 an hour 20 hours a week unless you're a 17 year old kid living at home with your parents.. most of you are probably 30+ and still living at home and trolling this site.. anyways...

To the OP..
Slow down to a safe working pace. You get paid by the hour, not the package. If your sort aisle isn't paired up properly and your sup has an open belt running, I'd shut it off And wait for your FT to come running.. usually takes about 3-5 minutes depending on who hes dicking around with in another part of the building... request diverters to be put back on, and if not, request a SS to come over immediately. You do not have to work as instructed if you feel your safety is at risk. Grieve at all times. After your sup gets tired of your constant legitimate grievances, he'll be happy to move you to small sort or air and pull up another sucker he can get to work at his unsafe pace until that person learns the game as well. It's a dumb cycle.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You left the most ridiculous response dude.. so you're advice is to leave UPS because he's being over worked and under paid? Lol if you're looking for a paycheck in the beginning, then of course, UPS isn't for anyone! No one can live on $10 an hour 20 hours a week unless you're a 17 year old kid living at home with your parents.. most of you are probably 30+ and still living at home and trolling this site.. anyways...

To the OP..
Slow down to a safe working pace. You get paid by the hour, not the package. If your sort aisle isn't paired up properly and your sup has an open belt running, I'd shut it off And wait for your FT to come running.. usually takes about 3-5 minutes depending on who hes dicking around with in another part of the building... request diverters to be put back on, and if not, request a SS to come over immediately. You do not have to work as instructed if you feel your safety is at risk. Grieve at all times. After your sup gets tired of your constant legitimate grievances, he'll be happy to move you to small sort or air and pull up another sucker he can get to work at his unsafe pace until that person learns the game as well. It's a dumb cycle.

Look at Ragin' Jake trying to be like the cool kids and pick on Austin.

Shouldn't you be banging out 250 stops today already?