How can you get hired on as FT package driver?

Currently 5 years with Usps, I live in southwestern PA , and I have plenty of experience driving our own 2 tons delivery packages... Wondering what I need to do to not start PT again, since I have experience in a similar job. Main reason I’m looking is for job security, better union, and morrrrre
Money. If anyone can give me some tips that would be appreciated!

My only problem is , I have a mortgage , school loans, car loans, and I don’t wanna leave where I am at and then get let go. In the post office you start out PT as well and I already did that, but the difference is that you make more hourly and get 60 hours a week.

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
My only problem is , I have a mortgage , school loans, car loans, and I don’t wanna leave where I am at and then get let go. In the post office you start out PT as well and I already did that, but the difference is that you make more hourly and get 60 hours a week.
So dont quit??
I know some people mentioned they took a vacation or leave from their job to try out the new job for awhile. And once they knew they were official they let the original job know they werent comin back.
That way ur collecting pay while not being at risk of termination and get to try out the new position

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!

Because of poor life choices and the need for a FT position at UPS isn't a reason UPS will give you a job.
Start PT and pay your dues like everyone else.
You aren't special and will not receive special treatment

GenericUsername

So dont quit??
I know some people mentioned they took a vacation or leave from their job to try out the new job for awhile. And once they knew they were official they let the original job know they werent comin back.
That way ur collecting pay while not being at risk of termination and get to try out the new position

The only bad thing about this idea is that he'll be delivering packages daily. Tell me a single day any of you guys have been out there (excluding rural routes) where you have not seen a minimum of 5 different postal workers. It's not possible as they're all over the freaking place. The chances of him getting spotted while on leave from the other job then terminated for working for a competitor is super high. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Stay where at
I’d love too, I love my job. But I’m 28 I only have 3 years out of the 5 that count towards retirement, and I just don’t see this job being here for me when I retire. Ups isn’t going anywhere ever. Lol currently you guys make 5 hour more at top rate, you pay nothing towards health insurance, that’s huge your union really went out for you guys.

GenericUsername

Then go for it at peak. After peak is over you'll see if you're kept on as a driver or for PT. If it's the latter, then find another job to supplement your income to make ends meet until you can drive permanently. Or alternatively, learn how to live within your means and make as much money as you can during peak and up until the day you're back in the building (our center it's before May 1.) Some of the guys I know work 60 hours a week from October 15 through April 30th then work PT hours the rest of the year. They're able to afford it because they set aside as much money as possible to make it happen.

Brisket

I’d love too, I love my job. But I’m 28 I only have 3 years out of the 5 that count towards retirement, and I just don’t see this job being here for me when I retire. Ups isn’t going anywhere ever. Lol currently you guys make 5 hour more at top rate, you pay nothing towards health insurance, that’s huge your union really went out for you guys.

Are you vested now?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Currently 5 years with Usps, I live in southwestern PA , and I have plenty of experience driving our own 2 tons delivery packages... Wondering what I need to do to not start PT again, since I have experience in a similar job. Main reason I’m looking is for job security, better union, and morrrrre

New contract, no more off the street hires for ground unless all inside options have been exhausted. You might have a crack at a 22.4 position, which will likely be a combination of inside work and driving. They top out in four years at $6/hr less than ground drivers, and work weekends. You could do like a lot of us did, work as a part timer with UPS and hold a second, full time job to help pay the bills until you can get on full time with UPS.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Start at the bottom like everybody else

Why do you think you should get to jump the line

Start at the bottom like everybody else

Why do you think you should get to jump the line
My wife’s mom worked as package handler for 23 years and never got promoted and eventually got hurt serval times and is pretty much disabled. She never missed work and was a loyal employee.Also I have experience driving the same trucks doing a the same job and able to physically handle it. I know for a fact most people can’t handle the work load.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
My wife’s mom worked as package handler for 23 years and never got promoted and eventually got hurt serval times and is pretty much disabled. She never missed work and was a loyal employee.Also I have experience driving the same trucks doing a the same job and able to physically handle it. I know for a fact most people can’t handle the work load.

Sorry chief not how it works

Not sure what the sad story about your mom has to do with anything

Brisket

No you have to have 6 years vested to be protected from the no lay off list. Since every contract we get , I can see that coming off the tables on the next one coming up.

I meant towards your pension, but wow! That sucks! Where do you fall on that list? Kudos to you for looking at the long term picture.