How dare UPS layoff workers after profitting $5.8 BILLION in 2010?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Buy Stock..
UPS may raise the dividend to 52 cents from 47 cents, or 11 percent, according to a Bloomberg projection. UPS resumed its regular dividend increase last year after leaving the quarterly payout unchanged in 2009 amid the recession.

The Milkman

I guess $5.8 BILLION is not enough for these greed heads!
$5.8 BILLION and they have the balls to deny our grievances for sups working??
$5.8 BILLION and they have the balls to suspend and discharge drivers for not moving fast enough??
$5.8 BILLION and they have the balls to suspend and discharge loaders and sorters for misloads??
$5.8 BILLION and they have the balls to lay off clerks into 4 1/2 hours with 20 years on the job??
$5.8 BILLION and they have the balls to lay off PT Air Drivers on Christmas Eve??
$5.8 BILLION and they have the balls to bitch and moan about drivers who start their trucks before they put their seatbelt on when it is freezing cold out??
$5.8 BILLION and they have the balls to cut loads and send drivers out with 300 stops ??

That is how they reward their hard working employees?? Shame on Big Brown!

Took the words right out of my mouth, You hit the nail right on the head!!! They will always and I mean always cry the blues no matter how much they make off the backs of the workers..The workers made this company what it is today not the Fat, Bloated no nothings that call the shots from their bubble in Atlanta...GREED a nasty 5 letter word which has infected this country and unfortunatly there is no cure:biting::biting:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Buy Stock..
UPS may raise the dividend to 52 cents from 47 cents, or 11 percent, according to a Bloomberg projection. UPS resumed its regular dividend increase last year after leaving the quarterly payout unchanged in 2009 amid the recession.

I empathize with how many of you feel but UPS is not your company. UPS is owned by the shareholders and so as PT Stewie suggests, buy UPS stock.
If you own a house, do you think the carpenters, roofers, plumbers, etc. that built your house have any right to it? Sorry, just a reality check seems in order.

Ibt804Hammer

I empathize with how many of you feel but UPS is not your company. UPS is owned by the shareholders and so as PT Stewie suggests, buy UPS stock.
If you own a house, do you think the carpenters, roofers, plumbers, etc. that built your house have any right to it? Sorry, just a reality check seems in order.

Buy UPS stock? Financial advice via brown cafe, priceless.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Apparently a bunch of these guys say so too...

Analyst RecommendationsAnalysts recommending Strong Buy16 Analysts recommending Moderate Buy3 Analysts recommending Hold7 Analysts recommending Moderate Sell0 Analysts recommending Strong Sell0
chart129669900364836152.gif;jsessionid=aiO4B8avynyd

rod

Retired 22 years

Now there's a rousing, feel good, morale boosting, give your all statement if I ever heard one. Gee- I can't understand why Johnny won't bust his balls for the company anymore. Sad

klein

Für Meno :)

Don't you think if they really meant business, maybe they could have left the dividends alone, and maybe lowered their package shipment prices instead, to become more competitive with Fedex ?

Nope, same old fashion - good luck getting sales leads !

The big shareholders have spoken !!! They want more $$$$$ !!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't you think if they really meant business, maybe they could have left the dividends alone, and maybe lowered their package shipment prices instead, to become more competive with Fedex ?

Nope, same old fashion - good luck getting sales leads !

The shareholders have spoken !!! They want more !!

It's part of the positioning of the stock as a "Dividend Stock". UPS needs to get it up to 4% yield to be positioned properly.

Braveheart

Problem is that we are the ones building that house everyday. It is a never ending house of profit. I do not see any managers getting laid off. Managers are not getting laid off and told to go work split shifts disrupting their families.

We deserve as do those that built your house safe work conditions. We deserve our pay as they do to be on time and correct. We deserve to be given the appropriate time off just as they would. I never see any of those huys working until 8-9-10 pm either. We deserve to take our lunch like the rest of the world around lunch 12-1-2 etc. Not as many of us have to do when you cut routes and lay off drivers that force us to take lunch at 5-6-7 even 8-9 at the end of the day back in the building. Those people who build your house take lunch every day at lunch time not dinner time. We even say, "boss I worked straight thru, can you pay actual me, it is 7-8-9 at night, can I just go home" and the boss says no clock out for lunch and clock back in in 1 hour and then you can clock out for the day. No appreciation for working 10-12 hours straight.

If it is pooring rain and lightning those that built your house call it a day, we do not have that choice. We work through tropical storms and even when there are hurricanes hitting, they would be at home taking care of their homes and family.

You managers get raises every year, 401k matches, pensions, stock bonuses so on and so forth. Yet you cry greed when we ask for a raise? Heck our raises are averaging 2.5%-3% for this contract. Very reasonable.

Many of us, including myself wouold have just taken a flat .50 raise each year but you guys fail to offer a better place to work, a safer place, more 8 hour days, more pay actuals, maybe offer half days when volume is low, a more work-life balance like combining a vacation week with option days so as to get more individual days off for family issues, house problems, car problems, school issues, children activities, dentist visits, taxes, buying a house, etc etc.

We should never have gone public! That is when it went from a tough place to work to a prison like atmosphere. We have outsiders determing our well being like insurance adjusters telling Drs how to treat patients.

Last edited:

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
OH boy! I knew when I posted the buy stock remark it would spur some some lively responses.It was kind of "tongue and cheek" remark . The fact is though, UPS has a obligation to the share holders and the management seem to be serving them well in the form of profit and returns.I don't like the cut cut cut attidude of management that is why I am a steward.I try to enforce the contractor every day sometimes without much help from my fellow employees. The moral of the story from my point of view is that UPS is sucessful company that is less than perfect in an imperfect world that compensates its employees pretty well ( because of the IBT).A lot of people are out of work but we are getting raises and have excellant health care which we only pay for in the form of sweat.
Ps I buy stock via the discount employee purchase plan every week. I just wish they would go back to the 10% discount instead of the 5% now that they appear to be so healthy. Fat chance ! See what I mean less than perfect.

moreluck

golden ticket member
OH boy! I knew when I posted the buy stock remark it would spur some some lively responses.It was kind of "tongue and cheek" remark . The fact is though, UPS has a obligation to the share holders and the management seem to be serving them well in the form of profit and returns.I don't like the cut cut cut attidude of management that is why I am a steward.I try to enforce the contractor every day sometimes without much help from my fellow employees. The moral of the story from my point of view is that UPS is sucessful company that is less than perfect in an imperfect world that compensates its employees pretty well ( because of the IBT).A lot of people are out of work but we are getting raises and have excellant health care which we only pay for in the form of sweat.
Ps I buy stock via the discount employee purchase plan every week. I just wish they would go back to the 10% discount instead of the 5% now that they appear to be so healthy. Fat chance ! See what I mean less than perfect.

It's OK, they upped the div. from $.47 to $.52 !!

beentheredonethat

Problem is that we are the ones building that house everyday. It is a never ending house of profit. I do not see any managers getting laid off. Managers are not getting laid off and told to go work split shifts disrupting their families.

We deserve as do those that built your house safe work conditions. We deserve our pay as they do to be on time and correct. We deserve to be given the appropriate time off just as they would. I never see any of those huys working until 8-9-10 pm either. We deserve to take our lunch like the rest of the world around lunch 12-1-2 etc. Not as many of us have to do when you cut routes and lay off drivers that force us to take lunch at 5-6-7 even 8-9 at the end of the day back in the building. Those people who build your house take lunch every day at lunch time not dinner time. We even say, "boss I worked straight thru, can you pay actual me, it is 7-8-9 at night, can I just go home" and the boss says no clock out for lunch and clock back in in 1 hour and then you can clock out for the day. No appreciation for working 10-12 hours straight.

If it is pooring rain and lightning those that built your house call it a day, we do not have that choice. We work through tropical storms and even when there are hurricanes hitting, they would be at home taking care of their homes and family.

You managers get raises every year, 401k matches, pensions, stock bonuses so on and so forth. Yet you cry greed when we ask for a raise? Heck our raises are averaging 2.5%-3% for this contract. Very reasonable.

Many of us, including myself wouold have just taken a flat .50 raise each year but you guys fail to offer a better place to work, a safer place, more 8 hour days, more pay actuals, maybe offer half days when volume is low, a more work-life balance like combining a vacation week with option days so as to get more individual days off for family issues, house problems, car problems, school issues, children activities, dentist visits, taxes, buying a house, etc etc.

We should never have gone public! That is when it went from a tough place to work to a prison like atmosphere. We have outsiders determing our well being like insurance adjusters telling Drs how to treat patients.

I fail to see why it's always an us against them attitude. UPS needs all of us for it to be successful. Many posters indicate the only reason people went into mgmt was that they couldn't hack it being a driver. I know for myself, I went to college to become an engineer and went driving with the intention of getting promoted.

But to correct some of your points. Yes there are layoffs in mgmt. Some are more formal like when corporate slashed dozens upon dozens of marketing jobs. Other ways are more subtle in that a Senior supv is put in a nasty job, far away from home with bad hours. Often times the person will quit\retire to get out of the job. Unlike union drivers with seniority we don't have a bid job and protected by the union.

The majority of drivers take their lunch. Heck most posters on this board indicate this. Some may take it outside of the normal 12-1 time frame,but most posters indicate that they take the lunch when they want, not what UPS wants. If UPS lets people not take lunch, or take a pay actual, then some teamsters will blame the company for not enforcing the contract, where others will now claim past practice and that now any driver can do this anytime.

Mgmt didn't get a raise last year and 401K's were suspended, and just brought back this year. Also, raises aren't guaranteed for mgmt even when they are routinely given out.

tdgolf

Remember people, we only sold only 10 % of our company to the public. They shouldn't have any "say so" about the way the company is managed. Just enjoy the ride. All the PCM's about answering to the stock holders. Give me a break, I don't think UPS's 90 % ownership cares about the other 10 %. It was quick cash back when they needed it. We are profitable from our hard work and good investments, definitely not from my immediate supervisors game day decisions.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Remember people, we only sold only 10 % of our company to the public. They shouldn't have any "say so" about the way the company is managed. Just enjoy the ride. All the PCM's about answering to the stock holders. Give me a break, I don't think UPS's 90 % ownership cares about the other 10 %. It was quick cash back when they needed it. We are profitable from our hard work and good investments, definitely not from my immediate supervisors game day decisions.

Try looking at UPS on any of the site like Google finance or Yahoo Finance.
Well over 50% is owned by investors outside UPS and in fact 51% is owned by Institutional investors like pension funds, S&P market funds, etc.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
sigh, ok here we go...
Problem is that we are the ones building that house
everyday. It is a never ending house of profit. I do not see any managers getting laid off. Managers are not getting laid off and told to go work split shifts disrupting their families. Its not the managers job that is being done away with...

We deserve as do those that built your house safe work conditions. We deserve our pay as they do to be on time and correct. 1/4000 payroll error, could you do better... We deserve to be given the appropriate time off just as they would. You have personal days use them wisely... I never see any of those huys working until 8-9-10 pm either. We deserve to take our lunch like the rest of the world around lunch 12-1-2 etc. Not as many of us have to do when you cut routes and lay off drivers that force us to take lunch at 5-6-7 even 8-9 at the end of the day back in the building. Take your lunch you deserve it, 4th and 6th like clockwork... Those people who build your house take lunch every day at lunch time not dinner time. We even say, "boss I worked straight thru, can you pay actual me, it is 7-8-9 at night, can I just go home" and the boss says no clock out for lunch and clock back in in 1 hour and then you can clock out for the day. No appreciation for working 10-12 hours straight. Its not that we don't appreciate it believe me..

If it is pooring rain and lightning those that built your house call it a day, we do not have that choice. We work through tropical storms and even when there are hurricanes hitting, they would be at home taking care of their homes and family. Rain, sleet or snow out you go....

You managers get raises every year, 401k matches, pensions, stock bonuses so on and so forth. Yet you cry greed when we ask for a raise? Heck our raises are averaging 2.5%-3% for this contract. Very reasonable. Put in a letter of intent grass is always greener....

Many of us, including myself wouold have just taken a flat .50 raise each year but you guys fail to offer a better place to work, a safer place, when we do put safety measures in place you argue about it, hell some of you don't even wear your seat belt when driving the package car more 8 hour days, more pay actuals, maybe offer half days when volume is low, I totally agree with this... a more work-life balance like combining a vacation week with option days so take 2 weeks or more of vacation so as to get more individual days off for family issues, house problems, car problems, school issues, children activities, dentist visits, taxes, buying a house, etc etc. how do you think the rest of general population gets this done...

:smart:

pretzel_man

The misrepresentations in this thread is amazing.

This company is owned by the shareowners. Last time I looked, 60% of them were outside investors.

These investors RISK their money and are entitled to the reward for their risk.

Today, UPS stock price is about where it was six or seven years ago. Yes, there were two or three percent dividend over that period. That isn't much of yield for those "greedy" shareowners.

Two years ago, stock was almost 1/2 of where it is today. Many here hailed the virtue of being in the union where you didn't have to worry about that RISK. With the RISK, comes the rewards.

Its funny, people who call the shareowners greedy are trying to take THEIR money.

Yes, you are building the house. But you are not building it with your money. If its delayed, you still get paid. That is not the same for those that take the RISK and put up their own money.

So, here is the solution. If you want the REWARD, take the RISK. Do what shareowners and management do.

Tie your pay to the growth in company profits. Take part of your pay in profit sharing. If profits are down, your pay will be low. If profits are up, you will make more.

If you are not willing to do that, stop complaining about those that get rewarded for their risk.

804brown

The misrepresentations in this thread is amazing.

This company is owned by the shareowners. Last time I looked, 60% of them were outside investors.

These investors RISK their money and are entitled to the reward for their risk.

Today, UPS stock price is about where it was six or seven years ago. Yes, there were two or three percent dividend over that period. That isn't much of yield for those "greedy" shareowners.

Two years ago, stock was almost 1/2 of where it is today. Many here hailed the virtue of being in the union where you didn't have to worry about that RISK. With the RISK, comes the rewards.

Its funny, people who call the shareowners greedy are trying to take THEIR money.

Yes, you are building the house. But you are not building it with your money. If its delayed, you still get paid. That is not the same for those that take the RISK and put up their own money.

So, here is the solution. If you want the REWARD, take the RISK. Do what shareowners and management do.

Tie your pay to the growth in company profits. Take part of your pay in profit sharing. If profits are down, your pay will be low. If profits are up, you will make more.

If you are not willing to do that, stop complaining about those that get rewarded for their risk.

You must be kidding me, "this co is owned by the shareholders". Please this company , this greedy friend#$%^& company is RUN by a small board of out of touch corporate executives, who most likely ALSO sit on other corporate boards. All they care about is profits. They care nothing for the little people, the people making those profits for them and their shareholders (now there's a group of TRUELY ethical people, clueless to how those profits are created, that only are interested seeing their "investments" grow, BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY).
You speak of "risk". Please. The men and women who go out there everyday in the cold and the heat, busting their a#$es , RISKING their own health and bodies- NOW THATS REAL RISK. Those conveniently hidden shareholders are clueless to risk. Don't you read the papers. It is these investors who take out special insurance to hedge against their bets , I mean "risks". Heads I win, tails I win!

Everyone of those shareholders should know EXACTLY how those profits are generated. And especially at WHO'S expense. Will that shareholder sleep well that night KNOWING that his neighbor just got laid off?? Or that due to "reduction of staff", his brother-in-law has been reduced down to only 4 1/2 hours a day
and is losing his house! But hey THAT'S OK my UPS stock portfolio just went up! Yippee!!

That's wrong, that's immoral, that's got to stop!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You must be kidding me, "this co is owned by the shareholders". Please this company , this greedy friend#$%^& company is RUN by a small board of out of touch corporate executives, who most likely ALSO sit on other corporate boards. All they care about is profits. They care nothing for the little people, the people making those profits for them and their shareholders (now there's a group of TRUELY ethical people, clueless to how those profits are created, that only are interested seeing their "investments" grow, BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY).
You speak of "risk". Please. The men and women who go out there everyday in the cold and the heat, busting their a#$es , RISKING their own health and bodies- NOW THATS REAL RISK. Those conveniently hidden shareholders are clueless to risk. Don't you read the papers. It is these investors who take out special insurance to hedge against their bets , I mean "risks". Heads I win, tails I win!

Everyone of those shareholders should know EXACTLY how those profits are generated. And especially at WHO'S expense. Will that shareholder sleep well that night KNOWING that his neighbor just got laid off?? Or that due to "reduction of staff", his brother-in-law has been reduced down to only 4 1/2 hours a day
and is losing his house! But hey THAT'S OK my UPS stock portfolio just went up! Yippee!!

That's wrong, that's immoral, that's got to stop!
Your emotional outbursts serve to express your strong feeling on this matter very well but these emotional outbursts do nothing to change the facts as laid out by Pretzel and myself.
UPS going public and the strike of 97 certainly changed many things at UPS.